American Classic/WTB disc hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. American Classic/WTB disc hubs

With the help of the good folk at the LBS, I'm building a set of disc wheels. Trying to get get max bang for min. buck, you know. My friend at the shop seems jazzed about the new WTB disc hubs. Apparently these are licensed WTB versions of the American Classic disc hubs. Reviews on this site for those hubs really run hot and cold, some folks heaping praise, while more than a few others said that the pawls that engage the free hub body have had a tendency to disintegrate in the past. Anyway, I'm just soliciting some more opinions or experiences regarding American Classic hubs. What do you know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    With the help of the good folk at the LBS, I'm building a set of disc wheels. Trying to get get max bang for min. buck, you know. My friend at the shop seems jazzed about the new WTB disc hubs. Apparently these are licensed WTB versions of the American Classic disc hubs. Reviews on this site for those hubs really run hot and cold, some folks heaping praise, while more than a few others said that the pawls that engage the free hub body have had a tendency to disintegrate in the past. Anyway, I'm just soliciting some more opinions or experiences regarding American Classic hubs. What do you know?
    Grant,
    I've had 3 different wheel sets with either AmCl discs or WTB disc hubs. The first set was the kind you have to pump grease into. With the first one, the rear locked up within 50 miles. Since I bought these through Mike Garcia of Odds and Endos, he immediately told me to return ship them and had a new wheel built and back to me, at no cost within 7 days. After that, they have been great. No failures, and a riding friend of mine bought a set too, and no problems there either. Now I'm on the WTB version, 32 hole, which as you know are a lot less expensive. They have been fine. I ride hard and slow and they've been fine. I ride in the mud, rain and through rivers and snow. I'm 190lbs. I would definitely buy them again if I were to get another wheelset. Hope this helps
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Just following orders
    Very similar report: I got a wheelset last spring with the WTB version. I weigh just under 180 lb., ride XC 3-4 times per week and have had no problems.

banned
    Do any of you know how the WTB rear hub differs from the Am Classic other than flange spacing? Since the WTB rear hub is 12gm heavier, I thought they might be specing a steel axle instead of aluminum. I know the bearings are the same, and it seems the drive mechanisms would be the same. 12gm isn't enough for it to be the cassette body material, so the axle was the logical spot I thought.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I bought a set of wheels from Mike G at OddsandEndos using the WTB versions last year. I put 800 - 1000 miles on them and they are flawless thus far. Super light and dependable thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantB