Alu wheels advice- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    64

    Alu wheels advice

    Looking to upgrade my wheelset, not into carbon rims thing, but quality alu in $500 price range. Bike is Stumpjumper Evo 29, mostly ride on the weekends near SLC with some trips to Moab, Zion, Sedona etc.
    Was considering Hunt Widetrail, Hope Fortus 35, Mavic Deemax Elite 29, DT Swiss...
    Any suggestions?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    29
    I would opt for DT Swiss XM481 with 350 hubs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    325
    I've heard that Race Face ARC are good rims. I had the cheaper version, AR 27, and they flexed a bit too much with my weight (280 lb equipped).

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    590
    Spank wheelsets are pretty robust from what I've heard around here. And DT Swiss XM481 rims laced to 350 hubs are the gold standard, and a bit lighter than anything Spank has to offer. They'll cost you at least $700.

    You can also look at Hunt wheelsets. I hear they're pretty good and are super cheap. I believe they're right around your price range.

    https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collections/mtb-wheels
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    Spank wheelsets are pretty robust from what I've heard around here. And DT Swiss XM481 rims laced to 350 hubs are the gold standard, and a bit lighter than anything Spank has to offer. They'll cost you at least $700.

    You can also look at Hunt wheelsets. I hear they're pretty good and are super cheap. I believe they're right around your price range.

    https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collections/mtb-wheels
    I'm leaning towards Hunt Widetrail wheels as they get only positive reviews, freehub body is cheap compared to other and they relatively light, fast engagement. What's not to like?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    SPECIALizED
    Reputation: UPSed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    428
    Ibis 938s. $500 at Jenson. I've put several thousand miles on mine and they're still perfectly true. The hubs show very little wear. Best bang for the buck IMO.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    Ibis 938s. $500 at Jenson. I've put several thousand miles on mine and they're still perfectly true. The hubs show very little wear. Best bang for the buck IMO.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    I also looked at those. How do you like the hubs? I'm coming off Hope Pro4, so won't like to downgrade in engagement. From what I remember, Ibis uses 3-pawl system

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    SPECIALizED
    Reputation: UPSed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    I also looked at those. How do you like the hubs? I'm coming off Hope Pro4, so won't like to downgrade in engagement. From what I remember, Ibis uses 3-pawl system

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Mine are actually 4-pawl. I don't feel much hesitation in engagement though I don't do a lot of technical climbing where I'm ratcheting the pedals.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    31
    OP, check out Colorado cyclist before dropping coin on those hunt wheels with cheapo hubs. With their perpetual 10% off deal, you can get the dt setup for 600. 350s with arc 30s are right around 500 if memory serves. Opt for the ratchet upgrade and save 10 on that too
    15 nomad c
    16 skookum

  10. #10
    mtbpete
    Reputation: changingleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,242
    I also recommend the DT 350 hubs for durability and value. There's a few good alloy rims to choose from depending on weight and terrain.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tweeder82o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    I'm leaning towards Hunt Widetrail wheels as they get only positive reviews, freehub body is cheap compared to other and they relatively light, fast engagement. What's not to like?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    just checked out the hunt wheels too...

    I mean, what's the catch? I might have to peruse the reviews, but is it me or does it seems too good to be true?

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dirty B View Post
    I would opt for DT Swiss XM481 with 350 hubs.
    I put XM481 rims on my rowdy hardtail and I'm VERY pleased with them. I built them myself (then had them checked over by a very good pro wheelbuilder) for my first wheel build and they're so solid. I put mine on more expensive hubs, so my wheel build cost more in the end, but DT 350 hubs would be a great way to keep the cost down.

    I'd take that wheel build over a less expensive machine built wheelset every day of the week.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    619
    +for DT xm481. Have been riding mine for over a year. Also like spank oozy 395+. Built a pair for summer riding on my fat bike. DT hubs with star ratchet also a big +

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,545
    I have an Easton ARC rim on one bike. Easily worst Tubeless rim I have owned. Maybe Race Face has improved them? But I'd never buy another.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    64
    So I got some Project 321 hub set and going to build really nice aluminum wheels. 32 holes, boost. What rims should I be looking at? Spokes?
    Also would be nice to get some opinions on wheel builders in Salt Lake City area.
    Thanks

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    151
    I love my i35 Raceface ARC offsets. They've proven very tough so far and I like the way they feel/handle. They're pretty light for their strength IMO. Tubeless was a breeze though I did use a compressor just because I have it available.
    I also have no complaints about Spank Oozy 395s. I haven't put them through the same abuse as the ARC Offsets but they've taken a few pretty good thrashes with no issues. Again, tubeless was no problem and has been perfect for about 3 or 4 months now.
    Sapim Race on both. 32h. No problems.

Similar Threads

  1. Help choosing bike (carbon vs alu wheels)
    By jesperjes in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2017, 05:33 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2016, 05:58 AM
  3. Carbon Wheels on 2015 Alu Fuel Ex 8 29
    By Anbtucson in forum Trek
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2015, 09:56 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 02:17 PM
  5. Chainrings---6061 alu versus 7075 alu
    By johnstone3 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 05:33 PM

Members who have read this thread: 90

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.