alternative to Stans rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

alternative to Stans rims

seems that for most custom after market wheel builds, most prefer Stans rims. clearly they have an excellent reputation for quality at the right price. some also like Pacenti, and maybe the odd Sun Ringle? anyone choosing the redesigned Velocity Blunts?

given that the mama bear rims of Arch ex, Pacenti TL28 and Blunts are about the same weight and dimensions, i rarely see the Blunt's recommended by the cognoscenti as it were... thoughts?

mtbr member

I just bought a blunt 35 (p35) rim and a blunt SL rim for my rigid SS 29er. currently have crests front and rear (also have crests on my hardtail 29er). the velocity rims look really good but it took me 15 minutes of shaking the rim to get all the shavings out of the p35! pretty impressed with velocity rims I've built so far (escapes, synergys). excited to build these up (the p35 will go on the front). made in America now too.

shaving:
    alternative to Stans rims-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371907874.915072.jpg

mtbpete
    The Velocity rims are good and strong. The fit and finish could use some work, but still a good choice for a rim, plus they are American Made as mentioned by the previous poster.

Note, the Pacenti and Velocity rims require a tighter tire than a Stan's rim. NoTubes rims have larger bead diameters so that tube-type tires will fit well, be burp resistant and inflate with a floor pump. You will have significant difficulty inflating a tube-type tire on a Velocity or Pacenti. They will work best with a UST, TCS or tight fitting tubeless ready tires.

mtbr member
    Theres tons of options, and stans isnt as common as you'd think.

Years ago when stans got popular, you had an incredibly small choice for tubeless. It was either use mavics very heavy 8-series rims (which were narrow) with very heavy full UST tires, or use the much lighter, wider stans with any tire you want. The weight advantage was huge and tire choice made stans a great hit.

Those days are over now. Now tubeless ready tires are everywhere and theres tons of choices, and theres a bunch of tubeless ready or UST standard rims to choose from, that are wide, light, and affordable.

Stans is NOT a tubeless standard rim. Its their own standard intentionally designed to be ghetto tubeless and convert standard tires. Their newest generation is focused even moreso on that and fits less tires marked for tubeless use. Their arch and flow are still good rims, but if you run them you need to research the tires you want to use first, because they just might not fit. Any new tires coming to market may not fit as well... or they might. Its a chance you'll take.

The i19 and I23 (arch and flow competitors) are UST, will run all the UST or tubeless ready tires, and they're comparable in width and weight.

No experience with blunts, but the specs weird me out. they're SO light and they're wide. Something has to give... however, the few reports I see about them do tend to be positive. They're more expensive for me than other rims, so its not really an experiment I want to try.

dwt
    mtbr member

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I second Velocity rims. I've noticed since they moved manufacturing to the USA their quality has gotten better. I've been running them in the 650B format since 2010. I did have a warranty issue with some rims and they replaced them without any problems. I'm also look at trying some WTB I23 rims on a future build

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i didn't realize AC sold rims separately. i thought they only did system wheelsets. 101 too light for my needs, but if the AM rim was available, that would be an excellent option.

live long and huck
    I've used i23's, very nice rims, I like them better than Stan's, and the price is nice. WTB will be releasing an i25 in the near future, for their 2014 line.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have the WTB Speed Disc i23 rims on my Kona Unit and really like them so far. I actually like them enough that I am having a custom wheelset being built with the WTB Frequency i23 TCS rims with Paul hubs and Eno freewheel.

live long and huck
    Should make for a pretty nice wheelset, worrp.

mtbr member
    I also would give the WTB i23 TCS rims my vote having owned both Stans and WTB rims. With tubeless ready tires they are as easy to install and inflate tires as with tubes. That includes using a floor pump to seat them.

live long and huck
    I'll get some i25's when they're out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Another happy WTB Frequency i23 owner here (with Hope hubs).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Should make for a pretty nice wheelset, worrp.
    I'm really excited to get them in!

Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    Another happy WTB Frequency i23 owner here (with Hope hubs).
    I almost went with Hope SS hubs but opted for the Paul hubs.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I've got Frequency i19 rims on one bike, working just fine. Taped them up, have had no trouble getting UST tires to mount up super easy. A mix of Stan's rims (Flow and Arch) on the other bikes. Functionally, I can't tell a damn bit of difference between them when riding or setting them up. One wrap of tape, some goop, and hit 'em with my compressor - with real UST tires, haven't had trouble with either one.

However, they (the WTBs) aren't a true UST rim any more than the Stan's rims are - you still have to tape them up. UST rims suhk as Mavic's don't require tape or goop. I have one Mavic XM 819 UST rim in the stable, and it works great, no tape or goop reequired, though I add goop for punctures anyway.

I'd say go for what fits the weight and price you want. When any of mine need replacement, it'll be whichever I find a better deal on at the time.
    Last edited by scrublover; 06-24-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    I almost went with Hope SS hubs but opted for the Paul hubs.
    I've had a Paul Word on my SS for a few years, lots of miles. The hub is very nice, just had to replace the bearings recently. $15 maintenance in 3 years, can't beat that.

mtbr member
    The important part of the UST standard is the bead seat design. The holes and tape really dont make it any more or less UST standard. The i19 and 23 are both UST rims for all the parts that count.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The important part of the UST standard is the bead seat design. The holes and tape really dont make it any more or less UST standard. The i19 and 23 are both UST rims for all the parts that count.
    They have a UST style bead shelf, but since they are drilled they aren't allowed to be called UST, hence the TCS name.

Use to be that the Arch EX's were considerably lighter than the comparable WTBs, but the Arch's have been getting heavier and heavier lately. Claimed weight is 450g, for months all the ones I've built have been around 480, and the latest few were around 490g.

Talking 29ers here:
    Crest: 380g, 21mm internal width
    Arch EX: 480g, 21mm internal width
    Flow EX: 545g, 25.5mm internal width
    i19 - 435g, 19mm internal width
    i23 - 530g, 23mm internal width

The Crest is still in league of it's own as far as weight/width is concerned, although the American Classic 101 rim has practically the same specs (I haven't built one of these yet). The i19 is lighter than the Arch EX, but narrower. The i23's are very close in weight to the Flow EXs, but narrower. The i23 is a good heavy duty XC rim, for riders who the Arch EXs might be a little too light, but they don't want the huge width of the Flow EXs.

Just Ride
    what rider weight are the AM101's rated for? Liking the weight of these, but I fear i might be a bit to porky to ride at around 206 ish.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've used stans for years now and they are excellent rims. I've also used wtb i23 and I found them to be just as reliable and well built. Velocity rims are a little I'm the flimsy side for me. The fit and finish were not up to par with stans and wtb.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    what rider weight are the AM101's rated for? Liking the weight of these, but I fear i might be a bit to porky to ride at around 206 ish.
    I believe they're rated to 190lbs, but I wouldn't put someone that heavy on them, at least not until I build some up and get a feel for them. 380g is LIGHT.

JDM
    mtbr member
    I built up a set of Velocity Blunts in 650B for one bike and 29er for the other. Both have held up very well with a 195# rider in rocky/rooty New England.

The 29er set is running tubeless with Bontrager Rythem strips and regular Kenda Nevegals. I have no problem seating the bead with some vigorous hand-pumping (that's what she said).

I had been using Stan's sealant. It works great at first, but it drys up after about a month, then the tires struggle to hold air for an entire ride. When my finished off the bottle last month I picked up some Bontrager super juice to give that a try.

I also have a few buddies running Sun EQ27 (or inferno 27 these days?) quite happily.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I built up a set of Velocity Blunts in 650B for one bike and 29er for the other. Both have held up very well with a 195# rider in rocky/rooty New England.

The 29er set is running tubeless with Bontrager Rythem strips and regular Kenda Nevegals. I have no problem seating the bead with some vigorous hand-pumping (that's what she said).

I had been using Stan's sealant. It works great at first, but it drys up after about a month, then the tires struggle to hold air for an entire ride. When my finished off the bottle last month I picked up some Bontrager super juice to give that a try.

I also have a few buddies running Sun EQ27 (or inferno 27 these days?) quite happily.
    try Caffe latex... Live in CT and running Velocity Blunts before and now P-35's and I easy get 6 months out of the Caffe latex. It also protects better against sidewall punctures as it really does foam up inside.

I like the Velocity rims, but I will say the finish is kinda on the crappy side I had paint peeling inside to were the tape wouldn't seal and I had to sand it all away to get it working.. and now it's peeling around the nipples. The blunts paint was much better than what is on the P-35's (both are Aussie made versions) Hoping the US versions are better...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

JDM
    mtbr member
    I was thinking of trying Caffe latex, but it wasn't in stock at the LBS. I'll probably order some after the bottle of super juice runs out.

Abby Normal
    I just built up a set of wheels using Halo Vapour rims: Halo Vapour 29" Disc Rim

They seem to split the difference in terms of weight and internal width between say an i23 and Arch EX (but price is about same as the WTB). I am about 195lbs, riding them on a rigid KM over fairly rocky trails, they seem pretty solid so far and good bang for the buck. Tubeless setup was easy using 1" Gorilla tape and Stan's valves (Ardent and Slant Six).

alternative to Stans rims-halo_surly_ss_set.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I am very curious about these

I have been considering building up a set of these.

BHS TL450 Tubeless

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I have been considering building up a set of these.

BHS TL450 Tubeless
    Hmmm... looks very similar to the Halo's, same profile and has eyelets (probably made in same factory....).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    They have a UST style bead shelf, but since they are drilled they aren't allowed to be called UST, hence the TCS name.
    I sure can see not being able to not call them UST for the holes. It's Mavic thing and I like that if you get a UST rim and tire, you know it will work.

That being said, I'm fearful of Joe's Rim Company calling their rim "tubeless compatible." What does that mean really? A good tubeless bead hook area??? Or, is it just a name they slapped on it because they got their rim to seat with some tape and sealant...............then the bugger blows off when you land off an 8 inch drop off.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I was thinking of trying Caffe latex, but it wasn't in stock at the LBS. I'll probably order some after the bottle of super juice runs out.
    I would not call it great, but CafeLatex worked for me on a Conti Protection tire with tough, but porous sidewalls. Stans would not keep it sealed.

It's expensive though. When I read it was made in Italy, I then knew why. My experience with Italian road products is: Good products in general, but priced high which makes the value low.

The low value of the CafeLatex makes it expensive for someone like me who changes tires a lot.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    The low value of the CafeLatex makes it expensive for someone like me who changes tires a lot.
    get a syringe and suck it out,.. re use .. I do it all the time.. clean and simple way.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Rolf Dolomite Wheel set

I have a set of Rolf Dolomite wheel set for you. I will throw the tires in for you as well. They were $750 brand new. They are yours for $175 obo.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    get a syringe and suck it out,.. re use .. I do it all the time.. clean and simple way.
    That's an interesting idea. However, does that not leave the "filler" stuff that fills the hole in the old tire?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    That's an interesting idea. However, does that not leave the "filler" stuff that fills the hole in the old tire?
    I use Caffe Latex which has no "fillers" but no.. it'll suck up pretty much everything if using stans.. there is a tiny puddle left but not much. and can get 90% of that by turning the syringe over after the first shot, pushing out the air and sucking up the last bit.

I'm replacing my front tire next week when it comes in... will probably do a vid for TrailTireTV about saving sealant..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Why haven't I thought of that before????? I always just try and pour it into the new tire, which usually results in a small puddle of sealant on the garage floor. Thanks for the tip!