All round trail tire with good puncture resistance?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

All round trail tire with good puncture resistance?

I use Stan's conversion on DT Swiss 4.1d rims with Kenda Nevegal 2.1's front and rear on my trailbike. Ride mostly hardpack with gravel, sand, some rocks & roots too, no mud.
    The weak link here is the pinch flat resistance of the Nevegals as a rear tire, even at over 35psi. They have very weak side walls and I have destroyed a few already. They tear at the bead/sidewall interface.
    Yes I could run them at 50psi but that would negate most of the positive handling characteristics anyway!
    A great front tire as far as performance in the loose stuff is concerned.
    What NON UST tires are suitably re-inforced to handle the extra stresses involved when using Stan's conversion? Specifically rear tires but for front as well?
    In an ideal world we would all run UST tires on UST rims but hey that costs a lot of money....
    I can't afford an upgrade and the cost and limited selection of UST tires where I live puts me off too....
    I'm also wondering whether the RIMS play any part in the pinch flatting problem?
    Some of the newer designs(FSA I think, I stand corrected if necessary) have a flatter rim edge to try to minimize pinch flats(well, apparently!)
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, the few dollars spent on a true UST tires is not that much if the tire lasts.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Members who have read this thread: 0