Advice needed: Maxxis Advantage & Maxxis Minion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Advice needed: Maxxis Advantage & Maxxis Minion

Greetings, looking for advice regarding overall profiles for either tire.

I run a RS Revelation fork upfront and a 2.25" Advantage starts rubbing under hard cornering. It is listed as a high volume tire no doubt and was wondering if I could run a 2.1" Advantage at back and a 2.35" Minion DHF (Not listed as high volume) up front.

Would the actual profiles of the tires be similar? I know a 2.1 Advantage is only a fraction smaller than a 2.35 high roller. The shop I frequent have neither tire with my intended widths on hand to do an actual comparison, so I'll be ordering over the net.

Lastly, I run Arrow DHX rims which are also very wide (37mm). Could I adequately install a 2.1" Advantage tire?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks

mtbr member
    You won't have a problem mounting the ADvantage 2.1 on your rims, but it will alter the tire's profile a bit. Shouldn't be a problem on the rear.

The Minion DHF 2.35 is very similar in size to the ADvantage 2.25, so you might have the same rubbing issue. But I don't think you should be having clearance issues with your Revelation. Try using a bolt-on front skewer, and check the spoke tension on your front wheel. If the tension is low, bring it up.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Members who have read this thread: 0