Advice for fall tire east coast- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Advice for fall tire east coast

Good day!

Looking for advice for a tire combo when things get wet/soft/muddy in the fall.

So far I narrowed it down to a few tires, in 27.5 X 2.6

Magic mary f/R

Kenda Hellkat f/R

DHF Front/ HR2 back

I have tried the DHF in 2.6 and really liked it, how does the other tires compare? I would like to get your suggestions.

My summer combo is SE4 front and rear, so looking for something with more grip.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    I'm in NE and have stayed with the DHF's that came on my 2018 Kona new (27.5 X 2.5). I'm getting close to pulling trigger on my 3rd set in over 2500 miles of singletrack.

I ride year round and what I like about them is...traction, traction, traction, and EXO sidewalls are TOUGH. Rolling resistance does not matter much to me.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thank you!

To be honest, the rolling resistance for this set does not matter to me either.

I want the best grip especially up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    DHF on front all the way. You can also consider the WTB trailboss as a rear for a faster rolling option, or the WTB Judge and Verdict as a r/f combo

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by billb0872 View Post
    DHF on front all the way. You can also consider the WTB trailboss as a rear for a faster rolling option, or the WTB Judge and Verdict as a r/f combo
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    WTB Trail Boss is a great rear tire. Totally sucked for a front tire though. I run a 2.4 WTB TB on the rear and a 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Damphf on the front year round.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    WTB Trail Boss is a great rear tire. Totally sucked for a front tire though. I run a 2.4 WTB TB on the rear and a 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Damphf on the front year round.
    I have a HD2 on my trail bike, I like the tire because it has a good balance of speed and grip, but I am looking at more grip for fall.

mtbr member
    Just pulled a DHF and Aggressor off mine. Didn't care for it at all. Went back to an XR4.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Continental Der Baron.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Just pulled a DHF and Aggressor off mine. Didn't care for it at all. Went back to an XR4.
    I feel like the Aggressor has better braking than the XR4. Not by much, but just enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have a 2.6 Magic Mary up front of my hardtail for winter riding, if you had a more aggressive tire for mud/greasy roots/leaf surfing I don't imagine you'd want to pedal it. Forget a small tire for knifing in, these knobs bite into soft dirt. Might be a little squirm on rocks, however.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've heard that the 2.6in MM has a (much) different lug spacing than the normal 2.35in MM. So much so that it is quite a bit more vague in drier situations. Since you want to use this as a wet season tire, it may not be a problem.

Its also worth looking at the WTB Vigilante. Its available in both 2.5 and 2.6in widths. I've got a 2.6in on the front of mine (on 29mm internal width rims), and they actually measure over 2.6in at trail psi's (~20psi range).

Then yeah, the WTB Verdict Wet (same as the normal verdict, but with taller knobs), which is similar to the DFH. The Judge is similarish to the DHR II, and like the DHR it is designed specifically as a rear tire.

I prefer front tires with transition knobs personally, so I'd be looking at the MM/Vigilante personally.

Good luck finding something that works for you .