mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Adjustable cartridge bearing hubs?

Would you prefer to have the ability to adjust the bearing preload on your hub vs. relying on manufactures tolerances? I am looking in this hub that has adjustable bearings : https://www.newmen-components.de/en/493/service/videos/

Supposedly setting any bearing to zero preload increases the longevity.

mbtr member
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-t...re-part-2.html

Personally, i don't see any value in adjustable cartridge hubs. I've learned to avoid cheapo cartridge hubs (although not for reasons directly related to cartridge bearings). In my own experience, a cartridge hub that is built well enough that i won't have trouble with the center bearings or freehub... also won't give me any trouble related to preload. YMMV.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Barely in control
    Syntace and Newmen believe that side loading is what kills bearings. Syntace was first with that design then Newmen was formed later. Syntace had some technical articles on their site but I can't find them now.

mtbr member
    I've had tolerance issues with a couple hubs high end hubs, and that feature would have been nice.

Asswipe
    Also depends on the bearing. Angular contact bearings need some preload.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Barely in control
    This design isn't intended to create preload so much as to protect the bearings from excessive preload caused by the ta.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    This design isn't intended to create preload so much as to protect the bearings from excessive preload caused by the ta.
    I think DT Swiss's hub design uses the end caps, axle and hollow, cylindrical spacer in the freehub to basically put all of the load on the inner races, compressing it from both sides but not allowing it to move relative to the outer race. Pretty simple solution but you can crank on a TA and not impart any extra force on the bearing as a whole.

I first noticed this when I was putting a bolt-on TA on my bike for the first time. Used a torque wrench, because why not, and at different levels of torque it did not seem to impact the wheels' ability to spin freely.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Its not a tolerance thing, radial cartridge bearings aren't designed to handle side loads. If you install bigger bearings and have very good tolerance, they handle side loads as best they can, but its never been how those bearings were intended to work.

The only real potential downside to angular contact is having a shitty preload system. Which really is a huge downside. If that preload collar slips out of adjustment easily, the system is useless.

Kings are angular contact and they last forever. I think its less that their bearings are insane quality than it is that their bearings are the correct type for the application. WI too, and shimano but shimanos can be difficult for people to keep preloaded correctly.

mtbr member
    Where does Hadley design fit into this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Where does Hadley design fit into this?
    Quote:

There's a bearing preload ring on the disc side that you tighten with a pin spanner. You want to tighten it just enough to remove the play, if you overdue it you'll be putting excess pressure on the bearings. I have all the Hadley tools if you want to come up sometime and we can do it here. I'll be in this afternoon from about 2-5, and afternoons all week.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

Kings are angular contact and they last forever. I think its less that their bearings are insane quality than it is that their bearings are the correct type for the application. WI too, and shimano but shimanos can be difficult for people to keep preloaded correctly.
    I'm doing an experiment with my WI CLD+ hubs by cramming them in a 142 rear triangle and clamping down the ta. Let's see how long the bearings last.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Its not a tolerance thing, radial cartridge bearings aren't designed to handle side loads. If you install bigger bearings and have very good tolerance, they handle side loads as best they can, but its never been how those bearings were intended to work.

The only real potential downside to angular contact is having a shitty preload system. Which really is a huge downside. If that preload collar slips out of adjustment easily, the system is useless.

White's bearings are angular?

Asswipe
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    White's bearings are angular?
    Not to my knowledge, but the hubs have preload adjustment.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member

Adjustable cartridge bearing hubs?

Once radial contact bearings get some play in them, disc rotors rub the pads and out goes your steering precision. Some are difficult to replace and require special tools. In my opinion, angular contact is better but as long as the hub bearings can use off the shelf radial bearings and are easy to replace with no special tooling needed, radial cartridge bearings are OK. I've had some Bontrager hubs that needed to be serviced by the LBS. One hub was made by DT and the other by Formula.
    Last edited by MikeDee; 1 Week Ago at 03:40 PM.