Adding Stans Sealant To Santa Cruz Reserve's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Adding Stans Sealant To Santa Cruz Reserve's

I have a SC 5010 2019 with Reserve Rims, i have just gone to add some more sealant (via the stans injector) and found out that the injector won't screw onto the valve stem. It appears that the valve stem used is too small and unable to screw onto the Stans injector??

Has anyone else had this same issue? And if so, how have you gone about adding more sealant to the tire? Last thing i want to do is to faff about taking the tire off!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by shezz View Post
    I have a SC 5010 2019 with Reserve Rims, i have just gone to add some more sealant (via the stans injector) and found out that the injector won't screw onto the valve stem. It appears that the valve stem used is too small and unable to screw onto the Stans injector??

Has anyone else had this same issue? And if so, how have you gone about adding more sealant to the tire? Last thing i want to do is to faff about taking the tire off!
    Presta valves are all the same. You removed the valve core?

mtbr member
    you have to remove the valve core and screw the injector onto the main shaft of the valve. you're going to have a really hard time injecting sealant with the core installed, if you can get any in at all.

mtbr member
    Apparently:
    "It features a dual thread adapter that fits both Presta and Schrader valves."

Are you sure you have the right one on?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I removed the valve core already, but didnít think about the adapter.... just assumed that it was going to be one size that fits all!

Am going to have to try and see where Iíve put it.... or face having to buy a new one 🙁

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    the stans injector WILL NOT thread onto the SC valve (and yes I have removed the valve core). I have tried threading the injector into a spare inner tube I have lying around and it does so without any issues???!?

Bodhisattva
    the stans injector WILL NOT thread onto the SC valve (and yes I have removed the valve core). I have tried threading the injector into a spare inner tube I have lying around and it does so without any issues???!?
    I don't know what valve stem comes with the SC, but I had another set of wheels which came with an unidentifiable stem, which also wouldn't accept the Stan's injector. So I understand what you're describing.

My advice is to either add sealant manually by breaking the bead, or purchase new valve stems (which are generally cheap)

mtbr member
    I find popping the bead off the tire in one spot and pouring sealant directly into the tire to be 100x easier than using an injector. remove by hand, make a gap, refill, pop the tire back on, a few seconds with a floor pump andópopóyou're done.

mtbr member
    I removed the valve core already, but didnít think about the adapter.... just assumed that it was going to be one size that fits all!

Am going to have to try and see where Iíve put it.... or face having to buy a new one 
    I got this sealant injector on Amazon. Tubing goes through the valve tunnel and injects directly into the tire. Should be less messy and keep the valve itself cleaner but I've not yet tried it so can't say for sure. Was $15 but came with the alloy valve removing tool so similar in price to the stans equivalent and should work for your non-standard valve stem.
    Mole

Adding Stans Sealant To Santa Cruz Reserve's-002.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I got this sealant injector on Amazon. Tubing goes through the valve tunnel and injects directly into the tire. Should be less messy and keep the valve itself cleaner but I've not yet tried it so can't say for sure. Was $15 but came with the alloy valve removing tool so similar in price to the stans equivalent and should work for your non-standard valve stem.
    Mole

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	1341759
    Thatís the one I use as well and works great. This should solve your problem, OP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Buy a bottle of Stan's single 2 oz bottle and use it as an injector after you remove the valve core. Simply reuse/refill the 2 oz bottle as needed. See the video on Stan's website.

https://www.notubes.com/stan-s-tire-...2-ounce-bottle

mtbr member
    ^^^ totally. So simple, easy, and cheap.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Buy a bottle of Stan's single 2 oz bottle and use it as an injector after you remove the valve core. Simply reuse/refill the 2 oz bottle as needed. See the video on Stan's website.

https://www.notubes.com/stan-s-tire-...2-ounce-bottle
    Back in 2002 when I started using Stans after a couple of messy flats for no reason other than the sealant drying up I started carrying the 2oz bottles in addition to an emergency tube in my pack. Probably something everyone who runs sealant should have!
    Mole

mtbr member
    The only sealant I carry is in the tires.
    What, me worry?