mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Actual rider reviews of the the crank brother synthesis carbon rims?

Hi all,

Ive been struggling to find decent reviews on the following wheelset https://www.crankbrothers.com/produc...arbon-wheelset

There are lots of reviews when it first came out, but can't seem to find many (if any) of rider reviews.

The only recent one ive found is the following: https://theloamwolf.com/2019/01/07/r...is-e11-wheels/

any help or thoughts appreciated.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Why take a chance? I've taken many chances with CB stuff over the years and was burned nearly every time. So many good carbon rim companies out there like Light Bicycle, Nextie, etc., that there's no point to taking a chance IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm riding a Demo set now on the Project 321 hubs. Only 1 ride so far and too many variables to comment accurately (i.e. new bike, bigger wheels). The P321 hubs are quite nice though.

I'll be spending at least a couple of weeks on them, as my custom Reserves are on order over here (Oz). Once I change over the the Reserves I'll hopefully be able to give a good comparison.

I must give them credit though - they haven't exploded in the 11km (6mi) I've done so far

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    ha nice.

looking forward to the review (im in oz as well)

what kind of bike did you get?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Picked up a Ripmo last weekend. One ride so far, so will need to focus on getting suspension dialled at least a little bit so it's acceptable, then can focus on how the wheels feel. And then from there the comparo to my inbound wheelset should be fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Picked up a Ripmo last weekend. One ride so far, so will need to focus on getting suspension dialled at least a little bit so it's acceptable, then can focus on how the wheels feel. And then from there the comparo to my inbound wheelset should be fun
    from summit cycles?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just sent you a PM so as to keep this thread CB Synthesis related

Barely in control
    They do look cool. But. 500+ gram carbon rims and 1900g/wheelset. Might as well just ride some DT aluminum rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So, I finally picked up my custom Reserve wheelset last night, so will get some good comparisons this weekend

One thing I can say is that someone at CB is telling porkys on the weight of the E11 29'er wheels! Now, as the wheels were a demo set and came pre-fitted with tyres, I didn't get a chance to weigh the actual wheels only. But, my Reserves also had everything mounted up when I picked them up, and where there should have been an increase in weight, there was a significant decrease. See below for the setup and weight:

My Ripmo build with CB Synthesis E11 29, Minion DHF 2.5WT 3C (Maxx Terra)/EXO/TR front and Agressor 2.3 EXO/TR Rear - 14.32kg (31.5 lbs)
    My Ripmo build with Reserve 30, DT 240s, Comp Spokes, Brass Nipples, Minion DHF 2.5WT 3C (Maxx Terra)/EXO/TR front and Agressor 2.5WT EXO/TR Rear (plus some extra AMS Frame protection) - 14.0kg (30.8 lbs)

With the CB's listed as 1825g (is that with tape & valves?) and my Reserve calculations coming in at 1790g (no tape or valve), I figured the wheels would be bascially the same for weight in the end. So, where the tyres alone should have added another 80g or so, the entire bike dropped over 300g!

So, the main question is will I feel a difference in the wheels? I'm fairly sure I'm going to feel that 300g drop, but will I feel any differences in compliance, given both sets supposedly offer some compliance? Especially as I'm on a long travel 29er with a 160mm fork, with huge bag tyres? Who knows, but I'll report back once I've had a chance to ride them.