AC vs Hugi (engagement)- Mtbr.com
    And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

AC vs Hugi (engagement)

I'm planning to buy one of stans new wheelsets (unless one of you can talk me out of it) , and I'm not sure wihch hubs to get. It will be a disk set, and they are available with AC, hugi, or kings. The AC and hugis are the same price, but the hugis are heavier. I know that the kings will have great engagement, but they are heavier and more expensive. Is there any reason to get the hugis over the ACs, as far as engagement or stiffness are concerned? BTW, any feedback on theses wheels or rims would also be welcome. Thanks.

GC Cycling Club Founder

Ck

I have new Bonty x-lites as well as DT rim/DT Rev/ CK hub wheels
    the King group supports their stuff- my 6 year old out of warranty rear hub was recently serviced and repaired for free- I don't feel I'll ever need to buy anything but spokes and rims again- I'll race the x-lites if I like em and maybe the kings- cost is a little higher initially but you're getting free hubs if you plan on wearing out a few pairs of rims.
    ALL THE DANGEROUS OVERTAKERS
    END UP SAFE AT UNDERTAKERS

IF FROM SPEED YOU GET YOUR THRILL
    TAKE PRECAUTION- MAKE YOUR WILL

mtbr member

New question here. I have both and.....

Quote Originally Posted by guava
    I'm planning to buy one of stans new wheelsets (unless one of you can talk me out of it) , and I'm not sure wihch hubs to get. It will be a disk set, and they are available with AC, hugi, or kings. The AC and hugis are the same price, but the hugis are heavier. I know that the kings will have great engagement, but they are heavier and more expensive. Is there any reason to get the hugis over the ACs, as far as engagement or stiffness are concerned? BTW, any feedback on theses wheels or rims would also be welcome. Thanks.
    The AC's are lighter but the Hugi engagement system seem's to be beefer.....I had to replace the plate that the freehub engages on my AC hub. This plate is very thin and started to deform the holes the engagement pins on the freehub grab. The pawls also grab this plate. I also have a set of the WTB ultralite hubs which are like the AC's and have had no trouble with these so far. Mine may be and isolated case.
    Dave

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    I guess what I'm really most concerned witth is the engagement design. In other words, will the hugis engage quicker than the ACs or visa versa. I have a hugi 240 rear on my current setup now And It seems to do its job, but I would go for the lighter ACs if I don't have to compromise performance to do so. I happen to think the ACs are much cooler looking also, which of course is a pretty stupid criteria.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Both engage quickly

I guess what I'm really most concerned witth is the engagement design. In other words, will the hugis engage quicker than the ACs or visa versa. I have a hugi 240 rear on my current setup now And It seems to do its job, but I would go for the lighter ACs if I don't have to compromise performance to do so. I happen to think the ACs are much cooler looking also, which of course is a pretty stupid criteria.
    I don't remember how many teeth the Hugi ratchet has but the holes in the AC engagement plate ( this is what I call it) are very close together giving next to instant engagement. The nod goes to AC.
    Dave

Jan 2004

Engagement speed

The American Classic Design/WTB Lazer Disc Lite hubs have a 24 point (15 degree) engagement that is 33% faster than the 18 point (20 degree) system used on the Hugi 240 hubs. For comparison, Shimano hubs have a 16 point engagement.

Feb 2004

AC/WTB vs HUGI HUB ENGAGEMENT

The Hugi 240 engagement design is very reliable. It also has a very reasonable strength to weitht ratio. I have been riding them on my Kona v-braked dually, 15/16 spokes, front radially laced, rear standard 3 cross. I ride aggressive XC and will do roots. rocks, and and reasonable drop ( under 4 feet). I weigh 160 and would not hesitate to buy Hugi 240.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by bianchi4me
    The American Classic Design/WTB Lazer Disc Lite hubs have a 24 point (15 degree) engagement that is 33% faster than the 18 point (20 degree) system used on the Hugi 240 hubs. For comparison, Shimano hubs have a 16 point engagement.
    That's the kind of info I was lookin' for! Sooo.. less weight, faster engagement... sounds like it's gonna be AC. Thanks for the info everybody. One other thing though, just out of curiosity . What do the ACs sound like? I would assume one can hear all those points ratcheting.

mtbr member

Hugi VS AC in terms of reliability/durability

can anyone comment on this? coz i'm also considering Stan's disk wheels.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ...

The AC's actually aren't loud at all. Sure they are louder then shimano but nothing like king hubs. It is a sound that you won't notice, I only noticed it on the smoothest of road when coasting and no other surronding sounds were around but the noise from my bike.
    For the reliability, I can not comment, I know people that have had problems with both hubs and people that have been pounding them troube free for seasons of hard riding.

Jan 2004
    I have had the WTB disc lite's for about a year, and the rear hub makes a bird like noise everyonce in a while.It is a chirp of sorts. It only happens when I am really cranking and i don't mind it, it is actually funny to hear some of the birds sing back at my hub. The ratcheting sound is minimal. If you keep the hub lubed, you won't hear a thing. Maybe some birds.

Jan 2004

If you want fast engagement?

Get the Kings. They blow those other hubs into the weeds. Instant engagement.