mtbr member
    Mar 2012

80mm wide rims , smallest tire?

Fat bike wheel question:

Could I run a 3.0 to 3.5 tire on the Mulefut 80mm rim? Currently running Vee Snowshoe 4.5's that are really 4.0 wide. Would like to go a bit narrower for hard pack.

Thanks for any help!

turtles make me hot
    I don't know that I'd go smaller than the 3.8" fat tires like a Knard or Husker Du. Any smaller and you will probably strike the rim on rocks and roots.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok, that's what I was thinking too, thanks for the confirmation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    rger8 - what tire did you go with and how do you like your tire choice? I have the same rims and debating between the Knard 3.8 and the Husker Du right now. I studded my Dillingers so I need a summer tire. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Struby,

Well I didn't do anything at this point. Still running the Snowshoes. I'm going to look at a 4.0 tire and physically measure the width. Maybe I'll find something a bit undersize that will fit and have an actual width of 3.8 or 3.5. Maybe Knard 3.8 as you indicate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm not sure why one poster's speculation confirms your speculation. Is either based on the slightest bit of testing?

From my calculations, a 3" tire is 97% as tall on an 80mm rim as it is at its peak height on a 45mm rim. That isn't going to lead to a tendency toward rim strikes. No doubt the rim is more susceptible to side impacts but that's a different issue.

Expect such a tire to measure 3.5" when mounted on that rim. The sidewalls, ignoring side knobs, will extend 3mm beyond the rim.

I have not done this with a trail tire but have done it on a smaller scale using road tires and have not had problems. I'd never say it's ideal but why not try it? Your bike won't blow up and you just might like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    rger8 - I decided on the Knard 3.8 27tpi for the pure economics of the issue. Good tire at $65 ea with free shipping. If interested I will share my thoughts in a few weeks after riding it a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My bike came stock with 100mm rims and 4.0 tires and I've had no problems at all in the summer. I use 4.7 Bulldozers in the winter. I don't see why a 3.0 wouldn't work on an 80mm rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by struby View Post
    rger8 - I decided on the Knard 3.8 27tpi for the pure economics of the issue. Good tire at $65 ea with free shipping. If interested I will share my thoughts in a few weeks after riding it a bit.
    Struby,

Yes, appreciate your feedback on the Knard. 3.8. That sounds like a good deal! FYI, I bought some Surly ( Rolling Darryl 26 x 64mm) rims strips and knocked about 65 grams rotating weight off the wheels, The stock strips were pretty heavy, also using specialized 3.0 downhill tubes, much lighter than stock. Haven't gone tubeless yet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sorry for long delay in responding, but after putting a few hundred miles on the Knard 3.8 set I really like them. They track well on tacky surfaces, have good cornering, not much self steer (noticed some at about 7.5 PSI, but higher than that no issues), and they are pretty fast. This tire seems to be a good value with good performance. Not the lightest tire, but I am riding my fat bike for training and racing on my 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Struby,

Great and thanks for the info. My 4.8 Snowshoes are great for the desert sand in Ca. but for hard pack I would like something a bit smaller. These might be the ticket!!

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just curious as to whether somebody ever tested the concept of a 3-3.5 inch tire on 80mm rims??

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Long delay here but yes. I put 3.0 Juggernauts on my mulefut 80mm rims and I must say they are really nice. Previous reply from Craigsj hit the nail on the head as far as dimensions. They fit exactly has he describes. Nice work! Only issue I see is potential for rim strikes on the sides but this probably only an issue if your going through a ton of big rocks. They are much faster than the V snowshoes and seem to be smoother running. They do look a bit lower profile though. I'm running tubes and yes they measure 3.5" wide.

mtbr member
    Old old old thread, but do you have any pictures? Was thinking of doing 3.25 vees or 3.5 panaracers on my 80mm 27.5 rims for poor man plus (for now) they are half the weight of hodags too. Then could easily just reuse on 50mm rims later
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    See above
    Quote Originally Posted by rger8 View Post
    Long delay here but yes. I put 3.0 Juggernauts on my mulefut 80mm rims and I must say they are really nice. Previous reply from Craigsj hit the nail on the head as far as dimensions. They fit exactly has he describes. Nice work! Only issue I see is potential for rim strikes on the sides but this probably only an issue if your going through a ton of big rocks. They are much faster than the V snowshoes and seem to be smoother running. They do look a bit lower profile though. I'm running tubes and yes they measure 3.5" wide.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....