700x28 rear with 700x35 front?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

700x28 rear with 700x35 front?

I'm considering running a 700x35c in the front only on my kona paddywagon (rear would stay 700x28c). The reason is for more comfort/stability when riding on shitty roads, gravel, hoping curbs etc... Has anyone tried this? Or has any imput? I have to change the rim in order to do this so Im not 100% at the moment.

I know this is a mountain bike forum, but im not joining a roadie one, so no negative comments please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you have the stock fork, it looks like it will accept up to a 32c. Might want to start there...

Fat-tired Roadie
    Why change rims?

I use everything from 23 to 38 on my Jake as my current uses dictate. It would take extraordinarily bad pavement to get me to use bigger than a 23 for control and comfort for just myself. But it's nice if I have a bike set up to take panniers or I'm going off-road. I could see it for extended rides on dirt roads too. If it's just a mile or two here and there, I do okay paying a little more attention.

What pressure are you using?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: 700x28 rear with 700x35 front?

Quote Originally Posted by zmcrisp View Post
    I'm considering running a 700x35c in the front only on my kona paddywagon (rear would stay 700x28c). The reason is for more comfort/stability when riding on shitty roads, gravel, hoping curbs etc... Has anyone tried this? Or has any imput? I have to change the rim in order to do this so Im not 100% at the moment.

I know this is a mountain bike forum, but im not joining a roadie one, so no negative comments please.
    No need to change the rim. Wider tires will fit just fine.

A wider front may help with what you want, but the improvement will be marginal without a wider rear tire, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The 28c's just feel delicant to me(I've tried to get used to it, been riding on em for about a year), I like the thin fast tires, but most of the low traffic/back roads that I ride on In my area can get pretty rough. I run about 80ish psi in frot and 90 in the rear..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Why change rims?

I use everything from 23 to 38 on my Jake as my current uses dictate. It would take extraordinarily bad pavement to get me to use bigger than a 23 for control and comfort for just myself. But it's nice if I have a bike set up to take panniers or I'm going off-road. I could see it for extended rides on dirt roads too. If it's just a mile or two here and there, I do okay paying a little more attention.

What pressure are you using?

The 28c's just feel delicant to me(I've tried to get used to it, been riding on em for about a year), I like the thin fast tires, but most of the low traffic/back roads that I ride on In my area can get pretty rough. I run about 80ish psi in frot and 90 in the rear..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    No need to change the rim. Wider tires will fit just fine.

A wider front may help with what you want, but the improvement will be marginal without a wider rear tire, too.
    The rims, according to the website will only fit up to a 28c, not really looking for a major difference, just wanting to run a little more aggressive front.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The manufacturer's recommendation tells you more about what the rim's use case is than what will or won't fit. They're saying "this is a road rim." Some guy with calipers isn't going to come measure your rim and cite you if you use a 35 mm tire. There are some real limits, but for a typical road rim, it's more like 42-45 mm.

I like 80 and 95 psi too, but I'm using a skinnier tire. What do you weigh? I'm a little over 145 right now.

I'm a bit of a sucker for fancy tires. On all my bikes, actually, but since we're talking road... I've been using Continental Grand Prix 4000s on my nicer road bike. I could swear they ride smoother than cheap, lower thread count tires. Continental has a very "optimistic" way of reporting thread count - the GP4000 would be described as a 110 tpi tire by anyone else. If you're using the stock tires, look up the thread count. I have Michelin Lithions on another bike and like those okay too. They're not so fancy, so probably cheaper. They were on it when I bought it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: 700x28 rear with 700x35 front?

Quote Originally Posted by zmcrisp View Post
    The rims, according to the website will only fit up to a 28c, not really looking for a major difference, just wanting to run a little more aggressive front.
    I have run everything up to and including 2.6" tires on road width rims with no issues. 35mm tires on your rims is not a problem.

As I suggested before, if you find the 28s lacking, just replacing the front will not change that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common