29x2.6 XR2 VS Ikon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29x2.6 XR2 VS Ikon

Currently building a new full suspension bike for xc racing along with general trail riding. I've decided I want to go with 35mm inner width rims and 29x2.6 tires. Curious if anyone has experience with the XR2 and Ikon in this size? I've used 3" XR2, and 2.2" and 2.35" Ikons, but this will be my first time to try 2.6" in either of these two tires.

Just looking for general thoughts on rolling resistance, cornering grip, and durability.

Thanks!
    Last edited by coke; 5 Days Ago at 05:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...s-1083136.html

XR2 - lots of info on XR2. Ikon 2.6 are new I believe, so limited info on them.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Currently building a new full suspension bike for xc racing along with general trail riding. I've decided I want to go with 35mm inner width rims and 29x2.6 tires. Curious if anyone has experience with the XR2 and Ikon in this size? I've used 3" XR2, and 2.2" and 2.35" Ikons, but this will be my first time to try 2.6".

Just looking for general thoughts on rolling resistance, cornering grip, and durability.

Thanks!
    Hey Coke...I have lots of experience and miles (and races, including 12/24 solo SS efforts) on the 2.6 XR2's, after years on 2.20/2.35 Ikons. Ran the XR2's last years on Duroc 40 36mm rims, and (mostly) Nox Farlow 29mm rims. Fantastic performance, durability and comfort, IMO. Tied for my favorite tire with the smaller Ikons I've run (have never tried the 2.6 Ikons).

That said, on my lighter, "race" SS (with the Farlow's), I have gone back to 2.35 ikons for a bit less weight and rolling resistance. I've got a new set of XR2's on my other (Ti) SS, on the Durocs, for a super comfortable and fun setup.

I highly recommend the XR2's, and am not even convinced the Ikons, which I love, are "that" much faster or lighter.
    Ride more; post less...

This place needs an enema
    Both are really fast. Both lack grip when leaned -- as expected from the low knob style.

Assuming identical pressures, XR2 feels more supple. Ikon feels more harsh. The difference isn't huge, but it's there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments. Good information, although I don't know if it helps make the choice any easier.

Some of my general thoughts:

Ikons:
    I liked the predictability of 2.35 ikons
    Never really had any issues with exo sidewalls
    Heavier than XR2
    Not sure if the 120tpi max terra front and 60tpi DC rear is ideal for my application.

XR2:
    With the 3" version, I felt like they'd let go in corners a little sooner than I like.
    Compared to Rangers, they felt like they had higher rolling resistance
    Listed weight is lower than Ikon
    Less expensive

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I replaced my front tire 2.35" Ikon w/ a XR2 2.6. I ran both tires on 25mm & 30mm ID rims. The Ikon had a tad more grip when leaned. The XR2 feels fast but the grip is just ok. It would be worth noting the XR2 has a quite rounded tread profile and would probably benefit from a wider rim if traction is a paramount concern.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Both are really fast. Both lack grip when leaned -- as expected from the low knob style.

Assuming identical pressures, XR2 feels more supple. Ikon feels more harsh. The difference isn't huge, but it's there.
    Mike, what would you say is the “next step up” from the XR2 and Ikon (in both brands), in terms of knob style/side grip? Meaning, they are the “low knob style”, so what has slightly higher knobs, so better leaning grip, but also fast? Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Mike, what would you say is the “next step up” from the XR2 and Ikon (in both brands), in terms of knob style/side grip? Meaning, they are the “low knob style”, so what has slightly higher knobs, so better leaning grip, but also fast? Thanks...

You're asking because you've learned -- as have I -- that there aren't any good tweener treads yet. There are go fast tires like XR2, Ikon, Mexcal, and Rekon. And then there are grippy tires like XR4, XR5, etc...

I don't know of anything in between. *Maybe* the Terrene McFly? It's nominally a 2.8", but doesn't ever seem to stretch that far.

First ride on a set of Terrene Cake Eater's in 29 x 2.8" tonight. Hero dirt so who knows how they actually corner when it matters. So far I like them more, from a volume perspective, than any of the 2.6's I've ridden to date.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You're asking because you've learned -- as have I -- that there aren't any good tweener treads yet. There are go fast tires like XR2, Ikon, Mexcal, and Rekon. And then there are grippy tires like XR4, XR5, etc...
    Exactly, and I prefer fast over grippy, but wouldn't mind a wee bit more grip on my fast tires, at times...LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know about 2.6, but my experience with each tire in standard widths is similar to above.

Xr2 is more supple and a little quicker. Ikon had a bit more traction, a bit more drag, and better cornering. I ride dusty hard pack with some loose Rock and sand.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Exactly, and I prefer fast over grippy, but wouldn't mind a wee bit more grip on my fast tires, at times...LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm searching for that perfect balance of grip & speed. Leaning toward Ikon f/r or maybe Rekon/Ikon.

Honestly, the 3" rangers have been perfect for me, but wanting to see if I can get similar performance out of a lighter and narrower tire.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I'm searching for that perfect balance of grip & speed. Leaning toward Ikon f/r or maybe Rekon/Ikon.

Honestly, the 3" rangers have been perfect for me, but wanting to see if I can get similar performance out of a lighter and narrower tire.
    Yep, I've had great experience with the Rangers on my plus setup, even as I wore the treads down substantially.

I have not tried the smaller Rekon, though I run the 2.6 on the front of my Intense trail bike.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    the “next step up” from the XR2 and Ikon (in both brands), in terms of knob style/side grip?
    EXACTLY what I'm looking for, in 2.6. Come on bike industry and come through for us! Was hoping the Spec Fast Trak would be this, but apparently the 2.6 is only a 2.4. Maybe I'll try Barzo on rear next?