mtbr member
    Jan 2013

29er trail/enduro wheelset recommendations?

Just looking for any advise for a best bang for the buck wheelset. Currently have the Roval traverse with a 30mm ID with 2.6 rubber which I have become very fond of. Specialized website has these wheels at 1800g which is about = or < a nice i9 set.
    Iím not 100% sold on carbon but the whole point is trying to lighten the bike. Is there a lighter quality durable alloy wheelset out there or is carbon the only way to really save some grams? A high engagement hub would be a nice bonus but not a complete necessity.
    Thanks for the help.

mtbpete
    You may be able to ride a lighter wheelset with alloy rims, but the durability depends on your riding weight and type of terrain and speed that you ride at. 1650g is not out of the question, but 1800g is not bad for a tough wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Can't beat carbon nowadays, dependable light and stiff, but gets pricey. I still like the Traverse SL fatties I ride and my buddy just built a set of nox farlows that are sick

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    After an extensive search on the interwebs it looks like We are one Agents with Dt Swiss 240s looks like a winner. A little more pricey than others ($200-400)but with the lifetime no questions asked warranty seems worth it.

Does anybody have opinions on a $140 upgrade to the CX-ray spokes or if the 54T engagement on the 240 wears out quickly or is the 36T feel good enough?
    Thanks for the input.

Cactus Cuddler
    Traverse are good - a bit under-spoked for a clyde of my procilivities, but those are good wheels.

My default is always the LightBicycle 38/31.6 AM on DT350's, 54T upgrade and DT 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes - really hard to go wrong with those for the money (just a touch porky and definitely budget-conscious - but perfect for riding anywhere with rocks).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    After an extensive search on the interwebs it looks like We are one Agents with Dt Swiss 240s looks like a winner. A little more pricey than others ($200-400)but with the lifetime no questions asked warranty seems worth it.

Does anybody have opinions on a $140 upgrade to the CX-ray spokes or if the 54T engagement on the 240 wears out quickly or is the 36T feel good enough?
    Thanks for the input.
    X-ray spokes, not needed, they are for vanity (yes, even DTs non-bladed spokes are still cold forged, the Sapim hype is just BS).

54t, your choice. Many of us don't care and it's not needed. We do plenty of tech and have no issues. For others, this is a "have to have" thing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.