mtbr member
    Mar 2008

29" tire set for winter conditions (wet/mud + snow)?

I am looking for an advice for a winter tire set for my Ibis Ripmo: 29" in a range of 2.3-2.6", for wide rims (i35mm), tubeless, to ride in wet, mud, cold and snow. I am currently having a set of DHF in front and Agressor in back, which do not seem to be good for winter conditions. Last year, I was super happy with SuperSoft version of Schwalbe Muddy Marry on both ends (especially in cold and snow), but that was on 26", with tubes and on narrow rims. Current MM version does not have SuperSoft compound in 29", except wired gravity version. On top, when I've tried older HD on wider 29" rims tubeless - was very sketchy with SnakeSkin sidewalls.

Any other brand and model someone would recommend? I could jeopardize some wight for traction, but I would still prefer to be bellow 1200g per tire. Many thanks in advance!

turtles make me hot
    I think I was riding in snow on my 29er on 2.35 Specialized Ground Controls but I've been on fat bikes since about 2012 so I can't swear to it. It was on 35mm rims though.

Have a look at the 45Nrth Nicotine if you want studded awesomeness.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 11-12-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    I like turtles

I'm with stupid
    Winter time for me is normally time to go to a DHR2 rear and a Shorty up front 3c on both ends. Maxxterra rear and a maxx grip up front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Any chance you had comparison of Shorty vs. Schwalbe MM?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Iíve been running Continental Der Baron Projekt front and rear on my hardtail and itís the best wet/mud/cold tire Iíve ever used. These tires grip on wet roots and rocks far better than other tires I have tried. They shed mud extremely well and the compound stays soft even in the cold. They are far better than Maxxis DHF or DHR2 in nasty winter conditions. Mud performance is about the same as Maxxis Shorty but the Der Baron is much better on wet roots and rocks. Biggest downside is they roll slower than a DHF. Similar rolling resistance to a Shorty. The 29er version weighs about 1000 grams per tire but the casing is burly and takes a pounding. I plan on keeping Der Baron in the front year round and switching out the rear for something faster once the trails dry out. Overall, I love these tires.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Babas View Post
    Any chance you had comparison of Shorty vs. Schwalbe MM?
    I run wider 30mm inner wheels and like the Shorty wt better. I run the DHF in the summer and have found I over lean the magic mary and fall off the side knobs and wash out. It in 2.3 form gets squared off a bit too much for me. Also I like maxx grip compound more than the older vertstart I tried. I have not tried the new addix stuff yet.

Keep on Rockin...
    I am looking for an advice for a winter tire set for my Ibis Ripmo: 29" in a range of 2.3-2.6", for wide rims (i35mm), tubeless, to ride in wet, mud, cold and snow. I am currently having a set of DHF in front and Agressor in back, which do not seem to be good for winter conditions. Last year, I was super happy with SuperSoft version of Schwalbe Muddy Marry on both ends (especially in cold and snow), but that was on 26", with tubes and on narrow rims. Current MM version does not have SuperSoft compound in 29", except wired gravity version. On top, when I've tried older HD on wider 29" rims tubeless - was very sketchy with SnakeSkin sidewalls.

Any other brand and model someone would recommend? I could jeopardize some wight for traction, but I would still prefer to be bellow 1200g per tire. Many thanks in advance!
    Put your current DHF out back and out a Mary up front.

The Mary is a step up in grip from the Minion.

While I've only ridden the DH version the Assegai is also a step up from the DHF.

That said, the DHF in a 3c is pretty grippy, and the Aggressor in a DC is not. So maybe just a DHF on both ends, or even replace the rear with a 3c DHRII.

mtbr member
    I have some Nicotines. The studs rip out very easily. You're supposed to ride them some distance on pavement to help set them in, but the knobs themselves rip even with that. I'll probably try Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros next time, though the guys I talked to who have them also complain about losing studs.

I've ridden in the snow without studs, but around here we get enough patches of ice that studs are really beneficial. You can go down in the blink of an eye on ice.
    Last edited by Lone Rager; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:37 AM.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorquin Kiki View Post
    Iíve been running Continental Der Baron Projekt front and rear on my hardtail and itís the best wet/mud/cold tire Iíve ever used. These tires grip on wet roots and rocks far better than other tires I have tried. They shed mud extremely well and the compound stays soft even in the cold. They are far better than Maxxis DHF or DHR2 in nasty winter conditions. Mud performance is about the same as Maxxis Shorty but the Der Baron is much better on wet roots and rocks. Biggest downside is they roll slower than a DHF. Similar rolling resistance to a Shorty. The 29er version weighs about 1000 grams per tire but the casing is burly and takes a pounding. I plan on keeping Der Baron in the front year round and switching out the rear for something faster once the trails dry out. Overall, I love these tires.
    Have you tried Baron on wider rims?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Have you tried Baron on wider rims?
    Iím running them on i30 rims. They have a nicely round profile which makes them very predictable in cornering. Never tried then on anything larger but Iíd imagine theyíd be fine on i35 as well.

Rocks belong
    I would think a 2.5WT HR2 would be a good option as well
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks all for responses! I now nailed down to Continental Barons and Schwalbe Magic Mary.... Tough choice 😁

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    MM Super Soft. Spiked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Unfortunatelly, MM does not exist in Ultra Soft folding 29Ē. Only in wired and in downhill casing, which is way overkill for normal riding.

I'm with stupid
    Thanks all for responses! I now nailed down to Continental Barons and Schwalbe Magic Mary.... Tough choice 😁
    If that is the case go with the Marys. All conti tires i have tried lately have casing wobble issues. Also the new ADDIX compound was made by the same guy that did black chili so Conti does not have the upper hand on that anymore. Also there is this as well.

https://youtu.be/wqrbqRYrnB0

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    29x2.6 version of Magic Mary is really nice in soft compaund. Nice grip, don't freeze in cold weather and sidewalls are stiff enough. Soft version rolls way better than the super soft. Of course super soft has more grip but that soft version is almost as grippy.