29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!

29" boost model with the sram driver. How do you feel about this 28 spoke wheel being appropriate or not with a clyde? I'm 250lbs and ride fast and hard and don't baby my wheels. I just tore up a stock bontrager 108poe comp wheel. The wheel and spokes seemed to be plenty strong but it was the free hub ring in the hub that broke loose. The freehub looked like crap too. I should add that this was less than 400 miles of use.

So in my quest for a bombproof wheel set up, I really wanted a 32 spoke wtb asym and an Onyx sprague clutch hub with some slick spokes. This set up would cost more than $650 for just a rear wheel though, so I went looking for something with a better cost/strength ratio, and I think I'd be able to live with a Turbine ($460).

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe the Turbine is somewhat of a compromise and even a crapshoot. It has double butted spokes 2/1.5/2 and only 28 of them. The part that excites me a little is the 70mm center to center spacing of the "flanges" (10mm more than any other hub) and the straight pull on an asymmetrical rim. I don't know if the freehub mechanism will be up to the task, although it does look beefier than my Bontrager freehub. Also, the bearings in the Turbine are 6902 (15mm x 28 x 7) as opposed to the 6903's in my Bontrager hub (17mm x 30 x 7). I didn't have any problem with the bearings though, so maybe going smaller won't be such a detriment?

Another thought of mine is that the bearings in the Sram freehub are limited to 6803 (17x26x5) due to the size of the freehub? Is that correct? I guess that's one thing the Shimano driver has going for it, that you can put much bigger bearings in it. I love the Eagle 12 speed cassette though!

Please give me your thoughts about all this.

thanks.

mtbr member
    29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!-20171202_163216.jpg

The bontrager freehub looked like tbis all the way around the circumference. It has obviously been getting torqued too much and it was making contact with the drive ring inside the hub.

29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!-20171202_201326.jpg

mtbr member
    Would replacing the freehub bearings with german or swiss bearings, or even ceramic bearings hold the driver more stable?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_163216.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	1171636

The bontrager freehub looked like tbis all the way around the circumference. It has obviously been getting torqued too much and it was making contact with the drive ring inside the hub.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_201326.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	1171638
    Looks like what happened to the Stans Neo hub that came on my bike last fall. I tried the upgraded driver, and replaced bearings with the best I could get (enduro zero hybrid ceramic) to no avail, exact same problem.

My advice is to replace the rear hub with something robust and be done with it, re use the rear rim if you want to if it is in good shape, or not.

Robust rear hubs to me include but are not limited to Industry 9, Hope, Hadley, DT, and a few of the super bling hubs that cost a mint. Love my old Chris King hubs but went with Industry 9 for my current stuff.

I lucked out because the I9 and the Stans hubs can use the same length spokes.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Well I've made up my mind on a rear wheel finally. Splined drive ring engagement and a lot of other features that make me feel I'm getting a suped strong great deal of a wheel. This is now on closeout at worldcyclery for $385!

29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!-screenshot_20171213-173941.jpg
    29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!-screenshot_20171213-173903.jpg
    29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!-screenshot_20171213-173854.jpg
    29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!-screenshot_20171213-173349.jpg
    29" Race Face Turbine Wheels/Vault Hubs Rear wheel users! Step inside and talk to me!-screenshot_20171213-173138.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any long term update on the Vault?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner1 View Post
    I have yet to have any issue at all with this. I'm very happy with it.

I have only prolly done 200ish miles on it though, and I haven't taken it apart for inspection. It is really quiet and feels stout when I'm on the trail, the stock bontrager front rim feels like a noodle by comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner1 View Post
    So I have maybe 400ish miles on the rear and I've decided to buy a matching front vault wheel. It's hard to believe that I've been on it for that many miles, I don't know if it even has a scratch on it, and I bang down through rock gardens routinely.

I can't wait for the front wheel to get here! Matching rims!

LCW
    mtbr member
    I have a set of Next SL with the Vault hubs. Really liking them so far. Have about 85 miles on them so far with many more to come lol. Love the engagement. They are a little buzzy but nothing like a King or Hope or I9.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    I have a set of Next SL with the Vault hubs. Really liking them so far. Have about 85 miles on them so far with many more to come lol. Love the engagement. They are a little buzzy but nothing like a King or Hope or I9.
    I'm a big fan of the turbine hub. It reminds me of a beautiful suspension bridge.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have been super impressed with the Vault hubs so far. My race team uses them and one of our riders has ridden through two Vancouver winters, the bearings still feel like new.

The only thing you have to watch for is the spoke creaking on the hub. Drop some oil where spoke contacts hub to fix.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I swapped a Vault hub into my rear wheel to fix some issues with another hub. Can't say enough good things about the Vault hub. It's reasonably quiet, has awesome engagement, and it's stiff as hell. Price is good too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ungod View Post
    I swapped a Vault hub into my rear wheel to fix some issues with another hub. Can't say enough good things about the Vault hub. It's reasonably quiet, has awesome engagement, and it's stiff as hell. Price is good too!
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I have been super impressed with the Vault hubs so far. My race team uses them and one of our riders has ridden through two Vancouver winters, the bearings still feel like new.

The only thing you have to watch for is the spoke creaking on the hub. Drop some oil where spoke contacts hub to fix.
    I had heard about a creaking sound coming from the weld on the rim...knock on wood, I've never had any sound from mine that I can distinguish. Wouldn't you know my front wheel was delivered about 1 hour after I left for vacation.

I can't wait to upgrade my noodle bontrager. That's awesome that they hold up good enough for a race team to use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Been running 2 sets of Vaults, 1 set for almost 2 years (estimating, 600+ trail miles on 1 set). They came with standard on a couple Raceface wheelsets I bought on closeout at different times. Very happy with both sets, quiet and quick engagement.

1 of the bearings on one of the rear had to be replaced (very easy to do at home) due to water contamination from extreme wet weather riding. Other than that, reliable as a anvil.

One set is aluminum and the other is carbon RF rims. Both have been quiet durable.