mtbr member
    Oct 2018

27.5 tubeless conversions?

recently i've been thinking of going tubeless. most you tube videos i've watched on it only use tubeless ready tires and don't mention non tubeless ready tires.

the tires i run are kenda kadre 27.5x2.10 30tpi tires. i havn't found anything saying they are tubeless ready, but can a non tubeless ready tire go tubeless? will the air just leak through the sidewalls? or will the sealant stop it?

mtbpete
    Stan's rims were designed for running non-tubeless tires so it can be done but with lots of sealant and practice splashing around the sealant to the sidewalls, and that's after you get it seated in the bead. If you don't have Stan's rims it will be a little harder because most other rims have a looser fit and may be a little more difficult to get inflated. Normally tube-type tires cannot handle as much air pressure as tubeless tires because the bead is not designed to be as strong as a tubeless bead, but since you have a 30 tpi tire it may be a wire bead which is stiffer and may be able to setup easier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Stan's rims were designed for running non-tubeless tires so it can be done but with lots of sealant and practice splashing around the sealant to the sidewalls, and that's after you get it seated in the bead. If you don't have Stan's rims it will be a little harder because most other rims have a looser fit and may be a little more difficult to get inflated. Normally tube-type tires cannot handle as much air pressure as tubeless tires because the bead is not designed to be as strong as a tubeless bead, but since you have a 30 tpi tire it may be a wire bead which is stiffer and may be able to setup easier.
    thanks! yes the tires do have a wire beed on them! i will check what wheels i have aswell

mtbr member
    Depends on tire and rim. Look up 'ghetto tubless', and you'll find plenty of information. The most difficult part may be getting the tire to inflate fast enough to seat the bead on the rim. You can remove the valve stem core and use an air compressor, but still hard to do. I had a set that would go flat after a few days no matter how much sealant I used.