27.5 tires for flow trails? (for YT Capra)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

27.5 tires for flow trails? (for YT Capra)

Hi all,

I have a 2018 YT Capra 27.5 which I use for light DH and most recently long flow trails (groomed trails, with some natural features and rock sections) - Such as the Runca trail.

I have used Maxxis DHF (3c Exo) and DHRII (3c Exo) on all my bikes for years as I was riding much more DH - but they begin to feel very draggy in recent times compared to other trail offerings I've seen come out and tried. My wheels are 32mm inner width.

Wondering what people would recommend? I am open to all brands etc.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Marc
    2019 Cube Reaction Race 29
    2018 YT Capra AL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    With that rim you can run an XR2 2.6 if the pressure's right so it doesn't fold. It rolls like a Nobby Nic but lasts longer and I think priced is currently reduced some. 30 day free trial. Return it for any reason for a refund if you don't like it.
    Because of the 30 day trial I'd run a 2.2 on your rim at various pressures. I think it would work. No 2.35 in 27.5.

mtbr member
    That trail looks like you're still hitting some corners at high speed. I like the DHF up front with an ethirteen semi-slick out back. This combo rolls much faster than having a DHR2 out back but still corners just as well. The Dissector rolls even faster than the DHF and still corners nearly as well. Also the Rekon would probably work out back (it's not that different than the e13 semi-slick). I'd stick with 2.4-2.5" tires. If you're hitting those berms hard you'll be folding 2.6's for sure (they're flimsier).

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Totally agree on the semi-slick out back as well as the width recommendation. I've had good luck with the minionSS / DHF combo. For the smoother flowier trails I'd be interested to see how much faster the SS / dissector would roll.

g=9.764m/s2
    Moved the 2.6 Agarro from rear to front and put 2.35 Agarro on rear. The grip and responsiveness of the Agarro on front is mind blowing!!! It has transformed the performance of the bike with agility and precision. I noticed I was letting off the brake in situations where the DHF has always been vague. Then there is Martello and Mazza.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Many thanks for the suggestions everyone - I went through and considered them all. It really helped me come to the conclusion that my trail bike needs have changed in the last few years. Rather than change tires, I changed bike.

Trying to make a Capra 27.5 more fun on more mellow flow trails seemed like a bit of a lost cause as it is just too focused of a bike. 180mm travel, not fun until it's in 'mach chicken' going down crazy DH trails... I sold it over the weekend and ended up going back to the latest model of the bike I had before the Capra - a 130/120 FS 29er.

Thanks again, the clarity did help!
    2019 Cube Reaction Race 29
    2018 YT Capra AL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    Moved the 2.6 Agarro from rear to front and put 2.35 Agarro on rear. The grip and responsiveness of the Agarro on front is mind blowing!!! It has transformed the performance of the bike with agility and precision. I noticed I was letting off the brake in situations where the DHF has always been vague. Then there is Martello and Mazza.
    I have 2.6 mazza front and 2.6 aggaro rear and i see all the complaints on my local trail about slipping in corners. While i am just railing them absolutely love this combo

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike