27.5 Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph vs Ikon on rear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

27.5 Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph vs Ikon on rear?

I currently run a Forekaster 2.35 on the front and Ikon 2.35 on the rear. Happy with this setup although half the bike season here can be wet/loose/muddy conditions and the Ikon loses it's effectiveness in those conditions and has no grip on wet roots and rocks as soon as it gets muddy or slick, and I spin out or slide a lot in the rear under these conditions. it's great, fast and grippy for firm conditions and long distance xc though!

I was looking at replacing it with a 2.25 Racing Ralph, Racing Ray or Rocket Ron Addix Speedgrip...

These tires are rated almost identical stats on Schwalbe's website, but my understanding is Ralph offers slightly better rolling resistance while Ron offers slightly better grip? The Ray seems brand new and the market it as a front tire but would it be good on the rear compared?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I've run the Ron and Ralph in the older compounds on the rear. Both in 2.25. I really couldn't tell much of a difference in rolling resistance. They both rolled pretty fast. The Ralph does seem to have more volume. The Ron felt like it braked a bit better.

mtbr member
    I am now running a 2.6 RR in 27.5 on the rear, and love it. Its fast, and I get all the traction I need for steep, punchy climbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Could also consider putting the forekfaster on the rear and something else on the front.

Maxis guide doesn't appear to be very helpful with conflicting info regarding best use and rolling resistance.

Would a DHR 2 2.30 on the rear be that much slower than the Ikon 2.35? or an Aggressor or Nobby Nik on the rear?

mtbr member
    A DHR on the back would be ungodly slow compared to the ikon. Like take the resistance you feel, times it by 10. Then add some, and thats DHR territory.

How about something like a nobby nic? Its still fast, but its got some knobs on it and decent grip. I think if you want more grip than an ikon, the xc specific tires from schwalbe will be disappointing.

Barely in control
    I'd just put a Forekaster on the rear. My main gripe with Maxxis is tread wear durability but in the wet that goes away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I used to have a nobby nic on the rear till I shredded the side wall but that was 2015.. can't remember what compound... but from my reading it sounds like the the nobby nik is almost identical to the forekaster.

would a 2.25 rocket ron Speedgrip not grip any better than a 2.35 ikon 3x maxspeed? I know rolling resistance is lower on the rocket ron... but how will the grip compare?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I recently changed from a NobNic(blue stripe) and RacRalph(red stripe) both 2.35 TO Maxxis Forecaster front & Ikon 3CEXO rear. Both of those are 2.35 as well on my 30mm id rims. Seattle area trails with mud & rain. The forecaster vs NobNic...Forecaster is slightly at cornering better then NobNic for me. Ikon vs RacingRalph...Ikon corners better but RacingRalph has a bit better braking traction on the rear. No idea of how tire wear will go yet. The Ikon 2.35 is way bigger in width and height to the RacingRalph. It barely fits in my Tallboy. I have a ReconRace to throw on up front once I know we'll be in the dry season.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
    Mike

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    I recently changed from a NobNic(blue stripe) and RacRalph(red stripe) both 2.35

Cheers,
    Mike
    Are you sure about the Racing being 2.35, I was also looking for something bigger for rear and I could only find 2.25

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've already thrown it out...sorry. I would have sworn it was 2.35 but now I only see 2.25 offerings on Schwalbe's site.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just trying to figure out if a 2.25 Rocket Ron would have lower rolling resistance and better grip in the loose and wet than the ikon 2.35

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yah... pretty not thrilled with the Ikon on the rear. it's great if it's hard packed, dry slab. or tacky... but it becomes marginal in loose over hard and awful in loose or wet (skids and slips)... despite Maxxis saying the tire is suitable from loose - hard pack.

mtbr member
    Been running 2.35 Forkaster front and 2.35 Icon back ... Was happy...(Tight clearance on my Tallboy)
    then ran Forkaster front and Recon Race back ... Fast but back was very fishtail
    This weekend I'm going to try 2.35 Hans Damp (Blue stripe front) and 2.35 Racing Ralph (Red stripe) back. will see how it goes.