26" commuter wheelset recommendation!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

26" commuter wheelset recommendation!

Time for a new wheelset! Existing Cane Creek set is egg-shaped, beyond my ability to straighten out.

This is a commuter bike, tubeless 1.75-2.0 commuter tires, 6-bolt disc. Bike gets about 4,000 miles a year, pretty rough use, up and down curbs, I weigh 220+backpack etc, tow a 75lb trailer from time to time. Standard QR front and back.

Wheelset suggestions? Iím tempted by a set of Stanís Flow, would prefer to throw some work to a professional wheel builder if there are some out there. Years ago the hot guy was Daveís Speeddream. Any online well-regarded wheel builders these days?

cheers

A wheelist
    What's your price range? From Shimano XT to Chris King there's a big spread.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I got a pari of XTR wheels on sale...for under $500 bucks....

I ride 1.25 inch slicks, center lock some 4 to 5000 km /year....work great and last well.

Note both Stans rims and Shimano rims have a mx inflation pressure of 55 psi...

However the force on the rim is proportional to the tire size...

I regularly run 85 psi in the 1.25 inch slicks without a problem...don't know about stans.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Price range is under $1k. Around $500 seems to be the sweet spot. I would not mind investing in a set of custom built Chris King (or other nice name) based wheels so they could be rebuilt in the future. XTR's look nice but the major-manufacturer prebuilt wheels seem to be more or less use-em and chuck-em.

FYI I run around 65psi no issues thus far.... Steel bead is a must, otherwise the tire blows off. The response from Stan's some years ago IIRC was no more than 50psi tubeless. The forces on the rim are supposedly much higher running tubelss vs. tubed.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by acroy View Post
    Price range is under $1k. Around $500 seems to be the sweet spot. I would not mind investing in a set of custom built Chris King (or other nice name) based wheels so they could be rebuilt in the future. XTR's look nice but the major-manufacturer prebuilt wheels seem to be more or less use-em and chuck-em.
    Here ya go for new XTR with lots of rim choices for about $600 -

Mountain - Cross Country - XC - Race full custom - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Here ya go for new XTR with lots of rim choices for about $600 -

Mountain - Cross Country - XC - Race full custom - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse
    thanks but looks like xtr is center-lock only.... Sticking with 6bolt

Members who have read this thread: 0