24mm vs 27mm internal width?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

24mm vs 27mm internal width?

My 2018 Santa Cruz tallboy came with raceface arc 24 wheels. 24 mm internal width I would assume. The newer models come with 27mm rims. Arc 27. I run a 29x 2.35 tire. These work fine on my 24mm rims though the rims sure look skinny. I weigh 150 ready to go and run 21psi rear and 19 front. I have not experienced any tire burps. Would I benefit at all in going up to a 27mm internal rim? Thx.

mtbr member
    I run an arc 27 up front and 24 out back. I like it quite a bit.

I tried switching them all around in different combos. I like the 27 best up front, and actually prefer the 24 out back.

MANY people dont agree and suggest 30's all the way around. Its very tire dependent, but the wider rims out back didnt work for me.

mtbr member
    Not sure how much of a difference you'll feel by going up 3mm. I'm about 150 geared up. I run 2.35 on some 24mm IW rims. I have another bike with 2.35 on an 29mm IW rim...honestly...I could not tell too much of a difference. I mounted some 2.6 on the 29mm...there I can tell a difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I don't see any downsides to going to 27mm rims for that tire size except for maybe you have a bit more rolling weight due to the extra rim mass, but I think its worth it. Whether there are enough benefits to make spending the money to switch to 27mm rims is a different question.

I ran maxxis 2.3's on ~24mm (I think 24.5mm?) internal width rims on my old bike and currently run 2.4 maxxis on 30mm internal width rims on my current bike. I just started to realize today how small looking the old combo was and I definitely like the 30mm width rims better. Heck, I think if I was building up the bike again but with my own components I would go with 35mm rims, at least upfront, which I would have never expected before. I think most people would go with 30mm rims for those 2.35's at least and I think that ibis mounts 2.35 schwalbes on some of their bikes with 35mm rims which I think was on option on a ripley that I rode that felt great, so even bigger works too.

Hitching a ride
    Like One Pivot said, tire dependent. For 2.4-2.6 tires, I use 25-38mm rims. But only a narrow range of widths for a specific tire.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I have 24mm IW rims on my cross bike with 37/40c tires.

Go with 27's, or even 30's.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I run an arc 27 up front and 24 out back. I like it quite a bit.

I tried switching them all around in different combos. I like the 27 best up front, and actually prefer the 24 out back.

MANY people dont agree and suggest 30's all the way around. Its very tire dependent, but the wider rims out back didnt work for me.
    I think you worked out the ideal set up for a XC/ trail bike.

For the OP, I wouldn't spend any money to make such a tiny change, however I do feel like a 2.35" tire is too wide for a 24mm ID wheel for the application that bike is intended for.

Now if you decide to order a trick new wheel set, ya aim for around 23-25mm ID in the rear and 27-28mm up front.

Hitching a ride
    If I have an XR5 2.6, I don't want less than a 38mm rim. But if I have a Maxxis 2.5, 30mm is almost too wide. If you square off the tire with a too-wide rim, well now you have $3-6k worth of bicycle that handles like poo. You'll be on the trail asking yourself, What is the point of this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Depending on tire and where you ride I would do one of three.
    1) If you have the funds I would keep the ARC 24 for that 2.2-2.3 tire and build/purchase another set with 35mm internal width for 2.5-2.6 tires. That of course is based on any need to run 2.6.
    2) Rebuild hubs with a 30mm internal width rim for the 2.35-2.5 tires. A tough choice if rims are in good cond. I would not do this just to go to 27mm.
    3) Sell wheel set buy a wheel set with 30mm rims but this might be a little wide for 2.2 tires if you ever do that.
    It may be a good time to find deals on wheel sets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lawnman View Post
    ...Would I benefit at all in going up to a 27mm internal rim? Thx.
    Running 2.3-2.4 tires, any benefit would be very small. If you're getting new wheels anyway, go for 27-30, but don't get new wheels just to do that.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thx for the replies. Yea was thinking about a new wheel set
    .I9 trail 270. 27mm of course. Think these are an upgrade from the raceface arc wheelset?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Thx for the replies. Yea was thinking about a new wheel set
    .I9 trail 270. 27mm of course. Think these are an upgrade from the raceface arc wheelset?
    The hub is a MASSIVE upgrade. The rim is a mild upgrade, only because of the increased width, but important step in the right direction.

RF and i9 both make good rims. 27mm is fine for your weight. I'd personally go a bit wider but I'm 215lbs with gear.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ok great. Dt350 hubs on my rims now

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have the ARC rims in both 24 and 27 mm width. I only use a 27 mm wide rim on the front wheel with a 2.4"+ tire. 24mm in the rear all the time and only move up to the 27 mm up front when needing the 2.4" wide tire. The difference is nothing you would notice in a blind test between a 2.25" and a 2.4" tire.

If you are buying new wheels anyway then 27mm is a good bet.

mtbpete
    If your rims are still in good shape it's probably not worth the upgrade. Any performance advantage will be no be big enough to justify this. Of course if you want a new wheelset for wider rims and and different hubs or other reasons then go for it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    there is almost no benefit to wider rims when using 2.0 to 2.4 size tyres as they just end up too square in profile.

mtbr member
    ^^^ It does depend on the tires to a degree. Some square off more than others based on the transverse knob profile. For example, I found that DHR/F tires measured narrower than spec and squared off much more than Spec GC/Purg or Bontrager XR4/3 on 30mm IW rims.
    Do the math.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    there is almost no benefit to wider rims when using 2.0 to 2.4 size tyres as they just end up too square in profile.
    I couldn't disagree any more.

Yes, some tires can get squared off if you try to run a 2.2 on a i35 rim for example, but that does not apply across the board. Making wholesale blanket statements like that is ignorant and reckless.

There are many benefits to running wider rims.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I couldn't disagree any more.

Yes, some tires can get squared off if you try to run a 2.2 on a i35 rim for example, but that does not apply across the board. Making wholesale blanket statements like that is ignorant and reckless.

There are many benefits to running wider rims.

ooooh lovely a keyboard warrior with big words....
    I have found through expensive trial and error that NoTube's rim width recommendations for tyre width is generally very accurate. I'm not going to be bothered to go and find a specific tyre that will with a specific wide rim just so that i can pose on the trailside exclaiming how right I am with said combination.

A 2.25 tyre on a 30mm wide rim is just too square to be stable through corners when running adequate pressures. If riding slowly then anything works. When at the limit of grip then ensuring the tyre has the correct profile on the rim becomes more important.

Sure wide rims have some benefits but it also depends on a host of other factors like the retainng bead shape, hooked or hookless, depth of said bead, pressure and the tyre itself.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Before this goes off track check this article out, and also the comments underneath:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/s...ith-bontrager/

Some interesting stuff about rim width and tire sidewall support relative to psi.

@brad.... "keyboard warrior"... knock it off.

mtbr member
    I was running 2.35 Ikons on a i23mm rim and when I got them down to a pressure I liked (18psi front, 20 rear), they would squirm going downhill in the corners (I weight 135-140lbs).

I now run 2.35 Ikons on a i26mm rim...no squirm.
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mbtr member
    My 2018 Santa Cruz tallboy came with raceface arc 24 wheels. 24 mm internal width I would assume. The newer models come with 27mm rims. Arc 27. I run a 29x 2.35 tire. These work fine on my 24mm rims though the rims sure look skinny. I weigh 150 ready to go and run 21psi rear and 19 front. I have not experienced any tire burps. Would I benefit at all in going up to a 27mm internal rim? Thx.
    if you haven't experienced any burping or folding at those tire pressures then there's nothing to be gained from buying new wheels. They're working perfectly.

Also, ARC + dt350 is a very nice wheelset.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I use Pirelli scorpion mtb H compound in 2 2 and 2.4 on 23 mm IW rims. No squirm or instability at 20F/22R psi.
    when I used a borrowed set of DT wheels, rim IW 27mm I could feel no difference.
    Then laced up my old wide lightning rims and the 2.2 tyres felt really crap while the 2.4 was OK. But not as predictable as the 27mm IW rims.
    Hence I don't particularly buy into the wider is better philosophy. Even 23mm is wider than where rims were at 4years ago.
    So if you have 23mm IW rims keep them till you break them then go with the next trend.
    I don't follow trends. I use what I feel comfortable with and gives me confidence.
    wider rims are stiffer and that is a nice benefit.