2010 Trek Remedy 7 Wheel Upgrade Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2010 Trek Remedy 7 Wheel Upgrade Question

I have a 2010 Trek Remedy 7, completely stock. I'd like to upgrade the rear wheel to one that has better engagement (I think that's what it's called - when the hub clicks more?)

I think the wheels on the bike are pretty good, and I don't want to downgrade in any way - I want at least the same quality hub/rim/spokes as stock, preferably better than stock.

The stock spec for my rear wheel is:

Hub: M525-L
    Rim: Bontrager Duster
    Spokes: ???

Can someone recommend an upgrade for just the rear wheel that won't break the bank?

Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    You can go with a wheel built up on a Shimano M629 or M665 SLX hub. It has 32 points of engagement (your M525 has 16 poe) and is the heavy duty model. You can run an adapter for your six bolt rotor.

Build it up with a rim of your choice (Duster from your Trek LBS, or there are other options) and some double butted spokes from DT or Wheelsmith. Should be able to have a wheel built up for less than $120

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got the same bike and am in the same boat. I haven't looked into it yet, but I'll be curious to see what you decide on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    You can go with a wheel built up on a Shimano M629 or M665 SLX hub. It has 32 points of engagement (your M525 has 16 poe) and is the heavy duty model. You can run an adapter for your six bolt rotor.

Build it up with a rim of your choice (Duster from your Trek LBS, or there are other options) and some double butted spokes from DT or Wheelsmith. Should be able to have a wheel built up for less than $120
    Thanks for the quick reply! Are there any downsides to having more points of engagement on the rear hub? And, for $120, are you saying the wheel will be as durable or more durable than what I have stock?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar964 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! Are there any downsides to having more points of engagement on the rear hub? And, for $120, are you saying the wheel will be as durable or more durable than what I have stock?
    If you use the same rim, new double butted spokes, and handbuilt...it will be AT LEAST as durable and maybe more if your wheelbuilder is fully competent.

There are no downsides to the higher engagement hub, I've got the M665 hub on my rear wheel that is currently on a single speed and it has been trouble free.