Got rocks?

2.8 to 2.6 change up.

So I am running a 2.8 dhf and 2.8 slaughter rear on rocky loose over hard and hard pack granite dirt. Wanting to change it up a bit looking for a little bit better roller in the front and more grip in the back. I donít want to give up a lot of front grip tho. I have a new set of 2.6ís a dhf and forekaster not sure if thatís gonna give me what Iím looking for.
    I like the look of the eliminator and heard good things about them any opinions there? Iíve thought about going rekons F/R but thinking they might not be enough for the front. One thing I like about the slaughter is the big side knobs for all the side hilling I do. The rekon seemed to lack in that department but gripped better on loose climbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I ran the combo you mentioned 2.6 DHF and 2.6 Forekaster all last year when we rode rocky terrain and rare dry conditions. I think the Forekaster is a great rear tire, didn't like it up front at all thus the reason I put it on the RR. I had them mounted to i35 rims and was my go to wheel set except in the mud.

Got rocks?
    How much better does a 2.6 dhf roll than the 2.8ís?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    IMO quite a bit. I have the 2.8 on the front of my Chameleon and the 2.8 is a true "plus" tire and the 2.6 is not anywhere near as big or has as much volume as the 2.8. I really like the 2.6's on my 5.5

Just be aware that you will lower the BB height a bit by switching to 2.6's

Got rocks?
    Iím running a mojo 3 so it shouldnít be to bad. I ran 2.5ís on it for a while.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    So I am running a 2.8 dhf and 2.8 slaughter rear on rocky loose over hard and hard pack granite dirt. Wanting to change it up a bit looking for a little bit better roller in the front and more grip in the back. I donít want to give up a lot of front grip tho. I have a new set of 2.6ís a dhf and forekaster not sure if thatís gonna give me what Iím looking for.
    I like the look of the eliminator and heard good things about them any opinions there? Iíve thought about going rekons F/R but thinking they might not be enough for the front. One thing I like about the slaughter is the big side knobs for all the side hilling I do. The rekon seemed to lack in that department but gripped better on loose climbs.
    The DHF/Forekaster f/r in a 2.6 is an excellent pair. Rolls well, grips super well, except the rear gives up a little on high speed straight line braking on loose over hard.

I ran/run that combo on my 275 rig on i35 rims. It is an excellent set up. The 2.6" tires do fall short however when you ride very fast and aggressively. They just don't hold a line like a 2.5 WT does. The 2.5 WT is a whole different casing and thus a whole different animal. The 2.6 makes a perfect trail tire where the 2.5WT is more of an AM/enduro tire.

I've found the best way to run them is a 3C DHF up front for grip, and the Forekaster in a DC out back. Still gives super traction but its tougher than the 3C.

Tried the Rekons in a 2.8. Really disliked the 2.8. They felt bouncy and sluggish. If I dropped the psi they felt nice but soon as I pushed the bike hard and fast I was getting too many rim dings. The Rekons in a 2.8 did not grip for me, nor did they roll fast.

Tried a Rekon out back in a 2.6 to compare it to the Forekaster. I found it did not hook up as well, and didn't roll any faster. It died a short life due to a sidewall tear.

Got rocks?

2.8 to 2.6 change up.

Anyone tried eliminator and ground control combo?

Maybe I will try the dhf forecaster or give it to my dad if I see something better.

Barely in control
    The 2.6 eliminator is a 2.4" tire. Just so you know.

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The 2.6 eliminator is a 2.4" tire. Just so you know.
    that sucks

Barely in control
    If you find a 2.8" Specialized tire, it will be 2.6" actual and have shorter knobs than the 2.6" version.

mtbr member
    I did not notice any magic from 2.8 on 40mm wheels to 2.6 on 35mm wheels. Seems the same to me going up or down or around. Try dhf front amd rear. The only advantage of plus tires is the traction, so you might as well go all out. I have tried alot of combos including the ones you mentioned , and nothing goes wrong with front and rear dhf tires.

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    If you find a 2.8" Specialized tire, it will be 2.6" actual and have shorter knobs than the 2.6" version.
    My 2.8 slaughter is true to size. Just doubled checked it.

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    I did not notice any magic from 2.8 on 40mm wheels to 2.6 on 35mm wheels. Seems the same to me going up or down or around. Try dhf front amd rear. The only advantage of plus tires is the traction, so you might as well go all out. I have tried alot of combos including the ones you mentioned , and nothing goes wrong with front and rear dhf tires.
    I tried 2.8 dhf dhr and thought it was a total slug on my trails.

mtbr member
    i can also attest that Specialized 2.6 tires are really a Specialized 2.4 Unbelievably, the Maxxis 2.6 tires I have, are pretty dam dead on 2.6 The universe is now in order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    How does 2.6 Forecaster compare with 2.5 Aggressor as a rear tire, in terms of rolling speed and grip?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    FWIW, I went from 2.8's to 2.6's on both my bikes and not going back to 2.8's anytime soon. Less squirm, more precise handling, less sensitivity to temperatures, less rolling resistance. Bike 1 went from 2.8 DHF/Rekon combo to 2.6 DHF 3C/Forekaster Max Speed and bike 2 went from 2.8 Rekon/Rekon to 2.6 Rekon 3C/Ardent Race DC. This combo is pretty fast, I had to readjust my braking technique the first couple rides as I was carrying more speed than I was used to. I'm in Phoenix so chunky blown out dirt is what I ride.

The Rekon front does well for me on the hardail, not the ultimate grip of a DHF but a solid performer. The Forekaster rear is a pleasant surprise, I didn't have high hopes but it's a relatively fast roller with good grip and does well on loose rocky climbs.

Got rocks?
    So you noticed a positive gain on resistance between the dhfís? I guess Iím gonna try the combo out that I have. Dhf forekaster and see how I like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So you noticed a positive gain on resistance between the dhfís? I guess Iím gonna try the combo out that I have. Dhf forekaster and see how I like it.
    Yep, less draggy. It's not night and day different but to me the diff in rolling resistance + more precise handling is noticeable. Certainly worth a try if you have the tires, I did mine as an experiment and loved it.

Got rocks?

2.8 to 2.6 change up.

Anyone try the new 2.6 trailboss from WTB? It looks pretty cool as an all around tire. We used to only run WTB along time ago but havenít tried them in years.
    Last edited by desertwheeler; 01-15-2019 at 12:02 PM.

NedwannaB
    Anyone try the new 2.6 trailboss from WTB? It looks pretty cool as an all around tire. We used to only run WTB along time ago but havenít tried them in years.
    2.4 TB rr/2.6 Vig up front for abit more grip is a go to setup as Well.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I tried 2.8 dhf dhr and thought it was a total slug on my trails.
    Agreed, I have 2.8's on i38 rims and they are bigger and slower than the 2.6's on i35 rims.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy View Post
    How does 2.6 Forecaster compare with 2.5 Aggressor as a rear tire, in terms of rolling speed and grip?

I've ridden them both quite a bit.

The Forekaster rolls better and has much better grip. At least better grip in terms of climbing tech. The casing is softer, even in a dual compound, and you can run lower psi due to the extra volume.

The Aggressor can be pushed harder and faster when going down due to its thicker/tougher casing. Its just a tougher tire, so like a DH tire it will handle faster speed better, it takes more horse power to pedal it. The Aggressor does roll well for a tougher tire, but I'd say the grip it provides on slick trails is lacking, so for me I'm not a big fan. (If I need a tougher tire out back I'd sooner run a DHRII. Its a hair slower but has much better grip.)

Both are good tires, but each have very different jobs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I've ridden them both quite a bit.

The Forekaster rolls better and has much better grip. At least better grip in terms of climbing tech. The casing is softer, even in a dual compound, and you can run lower psi due to the extra volume.

The Aggressor can be pushed harder and faster when going down due to its thicker/tougher casing. Its just a tougher tire, so like a DH tire it will handle faster speed better, it takes more horse power to pedal it. The Aggressor does roll well for a tougher tire, but I'd say the grip it provides on slick trails is lacking, so for me I'm not a big fan. (If I need a tougher tire out back I'd sooner run a DHRII. Its a hair slower but has much better grip.)

Both are good tires, but each have very different jobs.
    Faster and WITH better grip! Sounds like I need to try the 2.6 Forecaster. Agree with you on downhill performance of Aggressor - feels very confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    OP- I'd figure out your rear tire before messing with the 2.8 DHF in the front.

I find that a 2.8 Hans Dampf Speedgrip rolls well and has decent grip/braking. It rolls faster than the 2.8 DHR in soft/loose over hardpack terrain.
    DHR beats it in leaned over/cornering braking control if you aren't smooth on the skid triggers. Easier to break the HD loose(skid) when cornering if you're braking late/too hard.

A 2.8 Magic Mary front with 2.8 Hans Dampf rear is a comparable combo as far as grip goes to the 2.8 DHF(120 tpi)/DHR(60TPI) combo with some nuance that may make it seem like it rolls faster/pedals easier. You may be able to run 1-2 PSI lower with the Schwalbe combo vs the Maxxis combo- that been my experience.

Rekon 2.8 is a good rear- rolls faster than the DHR. I can't run the 120TPI in the rear- squirms in corners/knobs wear too quick unless the PSI is high. 60TPI is my preference for the rear Rekon 2.8.

I really like a DHF 120TPI 2.8 paired with a Teravail Cumberland 2.8 in the heavier duty casing(burly tire). Cumberland is similar to the Slaughter 2.8 but much better cornering and leaned over braking throughout the life of the tire in my opinion.

Not sure that a switch to 2.6 is going to deliver what you are searching for. I'd be looking at different tires/tread patterns. compounds and psi first. I'd say try the 2.8 Hans Dampf in the rear with the DHF in the front.
    Hns Dampf isalso a better front tire than the 2.8 Rekon in my experience for all out grip/cornering, but I don't like it as a front tire and I HATE the Rekon as a front tire. If you were thinking of going Rekon/Rekon I'd tell you to go HD/HD instead.

Got rocks?
    Iím really considering going WTB trailboss front and rear. From what I hear and have seen they look like they might fit for what Iím looking for. But I do have the forekaster already and my slaughter is getting down while the dhf still has life left. So might just see how the 2.6 does since I have it

Got rocks?
    So went from 2.8 slaughter to 2.6 trailboss and loved it. Seemed to roll as good as the slaughter and felt very lively to me. I plan to switch the front to 2.6 soon.

Got rocks?
    So I switched the front to a 2.6 light/high grip vigilante. It seems true to size at the outside lugs. I rode it today but it wasnít a good comparison to the 2.8 dhf since it was 36* windy and the ground was wet. It felt great everywhere I rode but will be able to know more when conditions get back to normal. It might have felt a bit more drag but like I said weather was crazy.
    Rear TB Iím still stoked about.