100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

2.5 DHF 3C Front, 2.5 DHF Dual Rear...Good? Bad?

Thinking about this combo for my new hardtail.

The real issue is the DHF on the rear. I have always stuck with the trusty DHF/DHR2 combo on all my FS bikes, which seems to be about perfect for the terrain I ride. I would like to try to give my back a bit of a break with a higher volume 2.5 vs a 2.4 on the rear of this new HT.

I searched but found nothing on point about using a DHF on the rear.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    My go-to combo for riding wet roots (winter here in the Pacific NW) as the DHF doesn't slide out as much as the DHR2 on the rear. Won't have quite as much uphill traction but the difference is minimal. I think you'll really like that combo or even go with the 2.6 versions! What hardtail did you get? I'm considering a new Chromag for jump and flow trails/winter riding.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

I'm with stupid
    I am running this combo on my 29er right now and like it.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    DHF 2.5 is great on the rear. Better side grip and rolls faster. Doesn't brake as good.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    My go-to combo for riding wet roots (winter here in the Pacific NW) as the DHF doesn't slide out as much as the DHR2 on the rear. Won't have quite as much uphill traction but the difference is minimal. I think you'll really like that combo or even go with the 2.6 versions! What hardtail did you get? I'm considering a new Chromag for jump and flow trails/winter riding.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Thanks. I got a steel Kona Honzo 30th B-day Anniversary Edition. Had I known I was going to spend the amount I have now spent on it replacing all the bad with good, I would have bought a Chromag for sure. A Surface Ti. That said the Honzo is a great hardtail. Honzos and anything Chromag are very popular in my area.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Much appreciated.

One further question if I may...

2.3 vs 2.5 DHF. In terms of minimizing visits to my physiotherapist, do you think the 2.5s will provide noticeably more cush? The bike came with 2.3 DHFs. Think I should just run them instead? I was going to keep them for my FS but maybe I should just try them and see. My immediate preference is to run something higher volume, but not if I won't notice much more cush.

Also I take it that if you guys were in my position you would do a hard pass on the 2.6 Rekons front and rear, correct?

It's been forever since I have had a hardtail.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    What about the 2.5" Aggressor? Seems like it would roll much faster than the DHF. I have the 2.3 Aggressor on my Pedalhead and love it.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Thinking about this combo for my new hardtail.

The real issue is the DHF on the rear. I have always stuck with the trusty DHF/DHR2 combo on all my FS bikes, which seems to be about perfect for the terrain I ride. I would like to try to give my back a bit of a break with a higher volume 2.5 vs a 2.4 on the rear of this new HT.

I searched but found nothing on point about using a DHF on the rear.

Thanks.

Last I checked the DHF did not come in a DC.

Tried what you are thinking of.

I've run the 2.5 DHF in the back as it is, as one would suspect, a bit bigger than the 2.4 DHRII. I can't say the slightly bigger volume of the DHF made a noticeable difference - which is what I was shooting for. Not sure it rolled much better, but it did not perform as well in straight line braking and traction on steep climbs. Due to the lack of paddle-like center knobs, I suppose.

For a faster rolling rear, in place of a DHRII, I've run the 2.5 Aggressor. It rolls faster, comes only in a DC, but lacks grip on slick terrain, especially for climbing.

For grip, stay with the DHRII. For speed go with the Aggressor. No-go on any significant increase in Cush factor form 2.4 to 2.5.

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

I've run the 2.5 DHF in the back as it is, as one would suspect, a bit bigger than the 2.4 DHRII. I can't say the slightly bigger volume of the DHF made a noticeable difference - which is what I was shooting for. Not sure it rolled much better, but it did not perform as well in straight line braking and traction on steep climbs. Due to the lack of paddle-like center knobs, I suppose.

For a faster rolling rear, in place of a DHRII, I've run the 2.5 Aggressor. It rolls faster, comes only in a DC, but lacks grip on slick terrain, especially for climbing.

For grip, stay with the DHRII. For speed go with the Aggressor. No-go on any significant increase in Cush factor form 2.4 to 2.5.
    DHF is available in DC I have both a 2.8 and 2.5 versions in DC itís also available in a 2.6.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'd keep the 2.3s for the rear and go get a 2.5 up front. I run a Pike 160 (650b) and have a 2.6 on now but I don't like the lower clearance compared to that of a 2.5. I like DHF/DHR 2 or DHF/High Roller 2 combos, as well as Magic Mary/Nobby Nic for where I live (Northeast USA).

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    DHF is available in DC I have both a 2.8 and 2.5 versions in DC itís also available in a 2.6.
    I have a 2.3 DC DHF as well, but it is white lettered OEM so maybe that is not an indicator as to how readily it is available (just like the 2.6 DHF, which at this point is only OEM).

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

Yeah, that's the obvious choice I guess - 2.5 DHF 3c, 2.4 DHR2 DC. I was just hoping to get a little more volume under my ass in the rear.

always licking the glass
    I ran this combo for a long time before I went to plus tires. Itís not the fastest rolling thing but itíll definitely give you the grip you want up and down.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

Ride On
    I have a 2.3 DC DHF as well, but it is white lettered OEM so maybe that is not an indicator as to how readily it is available (just like the 2.6 DHF, which at this point is only OEM).
    re 2.6 are you suggesting thatís the DC that is oem only? As I have a 2.6 3C I purchased online wasnít hard to find.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    re 2.6 are you suggesting thatís the DC that is oem only? As I have a 2.6 3C I purchased online wasnít hard to find.
    I can't find a 2.6 3c DHF anywhere. I had understood from another thread that it was OEM only at this point. See post #5238:

https://forums.mtbr.com/kona/honzo-b...750534-53.html

That is consistent with my findings. I can't find that tire anywhere. It came OEM on my buddy's Pivot Mach 5.5 I believe (which doesn't help me in any event, since I need a 29er). Apart from that, I have not seen any others in my neck of the woods, and certainly not in 29er size.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:16 AM.

Ride On
    I can't find a 2.6 3c DHF anywhere. I had understood from another thread that it was OEM only at this point. See post #5238:

https://forums.mtbr.com/kona/honzo-b...750534-53.html

That is consistent with my findings. I can't find that tire anywhere. It came OEM on my buddy's Pivot Mach 5.5 I believe but apart from that, I have not seen another in my neck of the woods.
    I purchased them at TBS Bike parts 65 bucks Canadian (which is a freakin miracle for pricing here).

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I purchased them at TBS Bike parts 65 bucks Canadian (which is a freakin miracle for pricing here).
    Nice!!! Awesome score. Are they white lettered?

I was on the island late this summer. Rode Cumby lots. The wood there was FANTASTIC!

Ride On

2.5 DHF 3C Front, 2.5 DHF Dual Rear...Good? Bad?

Nice!!! Awesome score. Are they white lettered?

I was on the island late this summer. Rode Cumby lots. The wood there was FANTASTIC!
    Ya I was pretty surprised at the pricing. I just checked and they still have them now at 69 but thatís still awesome for here. The ones I received have yellow lettering. Does this mean we actually have something from Maxxis before the states gets it!?

Cumby is pretty sweet we go there a fair bit. Other areas on the island are pretty awesome too they just donít tend to get the same press. Campbell River, Parksville, Nanaimo, Cowichan valley weíre pretty spoiled here!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Ya I was pretty surprised at the pricing. I just checked and they still have them now at 69 but thatís still awesome for here. The ones I received have yellow lettering. Does this mean we actually have something from Maxxis before the states gets it!?

Cumby is pretty sweet we go there a fair bit. Other areas on the island are pretty awesome too they just donít tend to get the same press. Campbell River, Parksville, Nanaimo, Cowichan valley weíre pretty spoiled here!
    Damn. You had my hopes up. I'm taking 29er, not 27.5.

Ride On
    Crap, missed that in your previous post. In that case good luck in your search!

mtbr member
    29 x 2.6 DHF dual compound can be ordered from any bike shop... BTI has them currently in stock.
    Denver, CO

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    29 x 2.6 DHF dual compound can be ordered from any bike shop... BTI has them currently in stock.
    Thanks. Any thoughts on a 2.6 DHF 3c front (assuming I can get a 3c), and a 2.6 DHF dc rear, on We Are One Agents (30 mm id), for my yet to be fully built steel Kona Honzo hardtail?

Western Cdn Rockies - so likely somewhat similar to your terrain.

mtbr member
    3c in the rear wears fast so running it in front is a good idea. Itís what I run and love it! I think where you are it would be even better. When the Assegai trail versions come out Iím definitely going to try those but Iím loving the DHF combo so far.
    Denver, CO

I'm with stupid
    3c in the rear wears fast so running it in front is a good idea. Itís what I run and love it! I think where you are it would be even better. When the Assegai trail versions come out Iím definitely going to try those but Iím loving the DHF combo so far.
    Dont do it...... That tire ( at least in DH form) has so much traction it is scary! I just got tired of pedaling around a DH casing plus Cushcore so I put them on my park wheels and went back to EXO DHF. But I miss the monster amount of traction.

Keep on Rockin...
    The DH version of the Assegai was a step up from the DHF in terms of grip. For the stuff I ride the more grip the better so I've changed over on the DH rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Dont do it...... That tire ( at least in DH form) has so much traction it is scary! I just got tired of pedaling around a DH casing plus Cushcore so I put them on my park wheels and went back to EXO DHF. But I miss the monster amount of traction.
    I think assegai front DHF rear. Cody Kelley just posted photos of a DD assegai hopefully a 2.5 exo+ is in the works too. Or assegai front and rear!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Ha, I had a conference in Victoria in October and was planning to just catch the ferry to Lions Bay but decided to hit up Cowichan. Spent two days there then told I HAD to go to Cumby, yaaasss then off to Doumont and back to Mt. Zoo... WHAT?! All this on the Island??? I had no idea!!! I never did make it over to the mainland. You guys ARE spoiled rotten!!!

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Cumby Brewing for the WIN!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!