2.3 vs 2.5 rolling resistance vs grip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

2.3 vs 2.5 rolling resistance vs grip

I've been watching the maxxis WT tires develop and am considering upgrading my wheels to 30 mm from 27 mm inner diameter.

Additional grip is always nice, but what is the price in terms of rolling resistance? Has anyone tried 2.5 tires and gone back to 2.3 because they found them too draggy?

I was thinking 2.5 DHF/Aggressor although I'm not sure that my bronson can clear the 2.5 tire in the rear. Kind of surprised maxxis didn't make a 2.4" aggressor...

mtbr member
    My question to you would be, do you find yourself wishing for more grip/traction than your current 2.3" tyres offer, do you really need 2.5" wide tyres? If the answer is an honest yes, then I say go for it, nothing worse than being held back by lack of suitable rubber on the downs. That being said, if you find you're the sort of person who enjoys pedaling their bike as much as not and bombing the downs, then maybe 2.3" is sufficient for you.

As to do you notice the difference? Most definitely between a 2.3" DHF and a 2.5" DHF.

As to the rim/wheel upgrade, unless your current wheels are crap and you're going to be upgrading to nicer & lighter wheels, I'd find it hard to dump $$ for a 2mm width increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Having a nice day!
    So many good tire choices these days. Almost enough to drive a person crazy! Agree with LyNx. Figure out if lack of rubber is truly holding you back. I've been experimenting a lot with tires this past year and finally came to the conclusion that some high volume 2.35 tires (that are actually 2.35 tires) work well for me. Might not have the all out grip as something like a DHF 2.5, but that big e*thirteen TRS 2.35 on the front of my bike tells me I don't need to go faster than that thing can handle!

Here, diagonally!
    Are you doing a wheel build anyway? Going from 27mm id to 30mm id would not be worth the bother IMO, especially if your frame has limited tire clearance. FWIW, I find that that the 2.35 Hans Dampf Pacestar rolls good, is cushy, and slightly bigger than advertised. Grip is decent but certainly not stellar.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think 27.5s NEED 2.5 tires just to match the grip of a 2.3 29er tire.

I wouldn't own another 27.5 enduro bike that didn't run 29-32mm wheels and 2.5 tires front and rear.

As far as the original question, it depends so much on your riding conditions. I run 2.5s on a 29er and the additional traction offsets the relatively small increase in RR. Both in overall speed but mostly in fun factor.

I've experimented a lot with tires and the front DHF 2.5 3c Exo with a rear Aggressor 2.5 Dual Exo just works REALLY well for me. It's fast and gives me mad confidence.

Maxxis should have offered the Aggressor in a 2.4 x 29 imo, that would have likely been the sweetest spot. Still I'm so pleased I can just squeeze the 2.5 on my Yeti 5.5. Great tire!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The wheel build is really separate from the tire decision, saw a nice deal on an I9 enduro wheelset that has peaked my interest.

As for lack of grip with 2.3, I love to bomb down the hill and my typical crash involves a tire washout. That said, pros go much faster on the same tires so can you really blame the tire...

Still on the fence, probably spend too much time on these forums dreaming of the next upgrade when I should really just get out and ride my bike.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I suspect that the real world rolling resistance difference is insignificant. The main draw back is the extra weight.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    I know I am late on this.. BUT.. I recently put the Aggressor 2.5 on my Intense Tracer as a rear tire along with a 2.5 DHF on the front. I have found the rear tire just too tight in clearance, bouncy, and very heavy/draggy feeling.. I am in the process of switching it to a 2.3. I have a problem with washing out the front tire, not the back one, so maybe that will even things out as well.... I will give a follow up report once the 2.3 has been ridden a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I run both 2.3 or 2.5 maxxis. The 2.5 up front doesn't seem to slow me down enough to give up the grip. The difference between the aggressors is more noticeable. 2.3 is like running a Simi slick. But the 2.5 feels a little Draggy but if you have roots on the climbs it trumps the 2.3.

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I suspect that the real world rolling resistance difference is insignificant. The main draw back is the extra weight.
    Try a plus tire and then rethink that statement lol.
    40% of the population doesn't even understand what a dictatorship is. Or worse...far worse...they don't care.

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Dscarbs View Post
    I know I am late on this.. BUT.. I recently put the Aggressor 2.5 on my Intense Tracer as a rear tire along with a 2.5 DHF on the front. I have found the rear tire just too tight in clearance, bouncy, and very heavy/draggy feeling.. I am in the process of switching it to a 2.3. I have a problem with washing out the front tire, not the back one, so maybe that will even things out as well.... I will give a follow up report once the 2.3 has been ridden a bit.

This post reminded me of something. I experimented with a 2.5 in back and the bike was slower, it climbed better in loose stuff but it was noticeably slower downhill time-wise (I didn't notice it but the stopwatch did). But 2.5 in front is great, don't worry too much about it. You can even go 2.6 and probably be OK, but if you go plus you will feel the drag on flat stuff.
    40% of the population doesn't even understand what a dictatorship is. Or worse...far worse...they don't care.

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Iīm aware itīs an old thread, but running 27mm inner width carbon rims and also torn if 2.5 DHF will be too wide for those rims in the front or stick with 2.3?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by o27 View Post
    Iīm aware itīs an old thread, but running 27mm inner width carbon rims and also torn if 2.5 DHF will be too wide for those rims in the front or stick with 2.3?
    Nobl thinks you'll be ok:
    https://noblwheels.com/blog/2-5-maxx...res-tr45-rims/
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by o27 View Post
    It will be fine, especially if you're running a heavier casing or inserts.

mtbr member
    I'm running 2 rocky slayers. One built up light on 2.3 minions, one built heavy on 2.5 dh casing minions.

2.3 handled the jandle until for every other than extreme black run roots/rocks and steeps. Then I want for more tyre. That said. I'm faster on 95% of the trails on my light slayer as there's generally only a couple of sections per track that the 2.5's are better and then rest if the track 2.3's rule the roost.

Side note to this. I do have a friend running some 2.6 bontrager tyres on his trek which roll very well and performance wise they seem to be between my exo 2.3's and dh 2.5's

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I'm running 2 rocky slayers. One built up light on 2.3 minions, one built heavy on 2.5 dh casing minions.

2.3 handled the jandle until for every other than extreme black run roots/rocks and steeps. Then I want for more tyre. That said. I'm faster on 95% of the trails on my light slayer as there's generally only a couple of sections per track that the 2.5's are better and then rest if the track 2.3's rule the roost.

Side note to this. I do have a friend running some 2.6 bontrager tyres on his trek which roll very well and performance wise they seem to be between my exo 2.3's and dh 2.5's
    Appreciated. Will probably look into the DHF 2.3 front and Ardnt Race 2.35 rear despite rule of thumb of the widest on front