2.3 or 2.4 wt ????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

2.3 or 2.4 wt ????

New tires time !! I have been running dhf 2.3 front and aggressor 2.3 rear on 30mm int width rims . I am looking to change to dhr 2 front and rear . Is it worth going up to the 2.4 wide trail model for extra 100g a tire ?
    Will I gain much traction and do they increase rolling resistance much ?
    Its going on my yeti sb100 so wanting to keep it fast !!

mtbr member
    My Jeffsy came with 2.4 DHR2s which were my first of this type and have been great but are HEAVY and not very efficient in the horizontal. I’m heading the opposite direction looking for a fast/lighter trail tire that still has great traction and handles the abuse. I’m gonna try the new Vittoria Agarro first chance I get. Check out recent reviews in that thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I went from 2.3 DHR2s to 2.4 DHR2 WTs front and rear on 28mm rims and noticed only a subtle change. The bag is only marginally bigger and overall shape pretty much the same, which says a lot about how relatively tall the 2.3s were. Having said that, the side knobs on the WTs do engage slightly differently which took me a bit to get used to. Overall I like them and have kept them on but wouldn't be sad to go back to the 2.3s. Both sets were Maxx Terra up front, DC out back. To compare rolling resistance for both sets is hard as I was fitter when I had the 2.3s on, but to be honest I'd say it was pretty close between them.

I will say this, every single Aggressor 2.3 I saw on 30mm rims looked horrendously squared off, so I reckon either DHR2 would be an improvement in rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    My Jeffsy came with 2.4 DHR2s which were my first of this type and have been great but are HEAVY and not very efficient in the horizontal. I’m heading the opposite direction looking for a fast/lighter trail tire that still has great traction and handles the abuse. I’m gonna try the new Vittoria Agarro first chance I get. Check out recent reviews in that thread.
    Hmm the Vittoria Agarro in 29x2.35 is 940 grams vs DHR 2 39x2.40 3C maxterra is 955 grams.....not a lot of weight savings

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Hmm the Vittoria Agarro in 29x2.35 is 940 grams vs DHR 2 39x2.40 3C maxterra is 955 grams.....not a lot of weight savings
    I can say the Agarros roll very very well and feel lighter than their weight implies.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I still say 940 grams for a ‘fast rolling’ 2.35 is heavy and one can do better. I think the new Specialized Purgatory 2.3 at like 750 grams looks interesting. Or even the Rekon 2.6 (more like a 2.45-2.5) at 780.

mtbr member
    I went from a 2.3 DHF to a 2.6 DHF just because I like higher volume tires and the slightly smoother ride they provide. I combined that with the 2.5 Aggressor and like the combo.

The other tire combo I use is 2.35 Nobby Nics front and back. They're quite a bit lighter, but honestly, my climb times on a 1.5 hour climb are more dependent on my level of hydration, nutrition, how much sleep I've gotten, etc. than the weight of tires. If you are constantly slowing and then accelerating, that would be a bigger deal, but my rides are often 3000 foot climbing slug-fests.

I tried the 2.6 Rekons front and back. I get the idea that the smaller Rekons are better, from reviews, but I found the 2.6 up front washed out, badly! On the back, they were fast, but the grip was lacking unless you were on pretty buff trails. I rode them in Moab and any kind of slabby climbing defeated them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have an Aggressor 2.3 on i30 rims. It's pretty square, but I have been happy with it.

I alternate between 2.4s and 2.3s and I am pretty happy with both.

Doubt it's worth the weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain
    Hmm the Vittoria Agarro in 29x2.35 is 940 grams vs DHR 2 29x2.40 3C maxterra is 955 grams.....not a lot of weight savings
    My 2018 DHRII with +2k miles and the Berryman snot wiped out still weighs 1030g so the +100g savings is considerable. Plus Agarro only comes in one model - Badass which makes ordering as simple as choosing 2.35 or 2.6. And as stated, the rolling/climbing efficiency is pure Bliss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What about the Maxxis dissector 2.40 at 860 grams. On paper I still think the Agarro (and to be honest all Vittoria mtb tires) are a bit on the portly side.

mtbr member
    You may have something there. If I remember correctly, when my DHRs were first tubeless, they weeped sealant through the sidewall for a long time. With 2 days mounted without sealant and two 1.5hr trail rides, my Agarro remains at full pressure. My XC Vittoria’s also held pressure for days without sealant, have never weeped sealant and have been bulletproof through the rock gardens. The high quality Vittoria carcass must carry a weight penalty.