1700g strong wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

1700g strong wheelset

I have a giant anthem that came withm mavis 117'rims the whole wheelset is a little over 2100g which I think is crazy for an Xc race type bike although the rims r heavy they are still weak and not staying true already with the little riding I have done on the bike. Is there a wheelset out there in the 1700g range that is stronger than what I have.. Would like to keep it under 400... How good r the magic 717'wheels I know they are lighter but are they even weak than what I already have.

Thanks
    Adam

mtbr member
    Stans wheels work for me.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Although I do not know anyone particularly who owns Mavic 717s, I've heard that the weld cracks on that rim.

You should look at the Stan's website or Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. You can also find great prices on eBay just make sure that what you are buying there is BRAND NEW.

It's gonna be a little tough to find something reliable in that weight class for $400 or less so take your time and shop around.

A wheelist
    Browse the BWW site and pick your price point. They don't sell anything that isn't good.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I think your goal of a fairly strong 1700g XC wheelset around the $400 range is reasonable.

I built up a set of 517 28h XTR hub wheels a few years back for my son. They weigh 1630g and I scrounged for deals and built them myself for about $300. He's borderline clydesdale, races and generally pretty hard on wheels and they have held up quite well.

IME, 317, 517 and 717 are good strong XC rims.117 rims are their lower line XC rims, but I'd speculate it could be moreso the build itself that may be letting you down. I haven't had any 717 rims fail at the weld, but I did have one split lengthwise in the spoke bed and the rim walls let go as well, but that was from running 2.5" tires inflated at around 45psi under my 280lb self on a rim meant for 2.3" or less tires (entirely my fault IMHO). My biggest gripe with 317 rims are the tendency for the alignment block (used where the rim is joined) to work loose and "click" at low speeds every time the wheel goes around. It's fixable, but annoying. It is a decent XC rim though.
    ============================
    Good BG info so far, but could use some more....

What size tires do you like to run? If you are only running 2.1" or maybe 2.2" tires, the x17 rims are a decent width. If you are inclined to run wider tires, I would look for a wider rim.

How much do you weigh?

Are you doing 'more' than XC riding/racing?

==========================

If you are comfortable riding 'proprietary' technology, here are a couple decent deals that seem to meet the criteria you have listed so far:

http://wheelworld.com/product/mavic-...et-44021-1.htm

http://wheelworld.com/product/shiman...et-52389-1.htm

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I think your goal of a fairly strong 1700g XC wheelset around the $400 range is reasonable.

I built up a set of 517 28h XTR hub wheels a few years back for my son. They weigh 1630g and I scrounged for deals and built them myself for about $300. He's borderline clydesdale, races and generally pretty hard on wheels and they have held up quite well.

IME, 317, 517 and 717 are good strong XC rims.117 rims are their lower line XC rims, but I'd speculate it could be moreso the build itself that may be letting you down. I haven't had any 717 rims fail at the weld, but I did have one split lengthwise in the spoke bed and the rim walls let go as well, but that was from running 2.5" tires inflated at around 45psi under my 280lb self on a rim meant for 2.3" or less tires (entirely my fault IMHO). My biggest gripe with 317 rims are the tendency for the alignment block (used where the rim is joined) to work loose and "click" at low speeds every time the wheel goes around. It's fixable, but annoying. It is a decent XC rim though.
    ============================
    Good BG info so far, but could use some more....

What size tires do you like to run? If you are only running 2.1" or maybe 2.2" tires, the x17 rims are a decent width. If you are inclined to run wider tires, I would look for a wider rim.

How much do you weigh?

Are you doing 'more' than XC riding/racing?

==========================

If you are comfortable riding 'proprietary' technology, here are a couple decent deals that seem to meet the criteria you have listed so far:

http://wheelworld.com/product/mavic-...et-44021-1.htm

http://wheelworld.com/product/shiman...et-52389-1.htm
    lots of good info in there jeff my weight is 180 geared up, tires i like to run is 2.3 max 2.2 or 2.1 typically though. this is my "race" bike i guess you would say, i have two bikes and this is pretty much the one i take out when i am riding for a long time, or i know i won't be doing any jumps or drops over 2 or 3ft. i am not really interested in super light stuff that needs alot of maintenance and may break i am willing to carry a little extra weight which is why i don't want a 1500g set which for the northeast rocky rooty stuff i think would be asking for trouble... i am been looking at the stans ztr arch wheelset which is a little out of my price range at 505. but if i wait a couple more weeks there is no reason why i shouldn't be able to afford it. can those wheels be run with tubes also? i don't really want to commit to the tubeless thing yet but wouldn't mind a wheelset that will give me the option later down the road if i want it... by looking at some of the wheelsets stans has i could even get a set of ztr flows that would still be under 1750 and that is a more all mountain rim that i would be more comfortable with.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Stans rims can be run with or without tubes. I am running Flows on my 29er (with 2.2" tires) and love them. The 26" version of the Flow rims weigh around 470g so they wouldn't be terrible weight wise and are plenty wide for 2.3" tires although I think the Arch rim (@420g) would likely be a very solid choice for your aims and a couple mm's wider than the x17 Mavic rims.

The Flow rims are 3.6mm wider on the interior of the rim than the Arch, and they weigh 50g more. The extra volume the wider rims allow is nice. 50g is almost 1/8 of a pound. Name your poison ;~)

The Mavic 819 (you can run tube or tubeless) are 450g and plenty strong. They are the same interior width as the Arch. They are a bit of a pain to lace up, but build up a nice solid wheel.

I think you will appreciate a little extra width for the conditions you ride with the tires up to 2.3". The extra volume helps cushion the ride and lets you run lower pressures as well as giving a nice tire tread profile.

Tubeless takes a minor amount of getting used to, is a bit more involved to get going, but is really nice on the trail most of the time. If you do have issues, it can be a bit messy to clean out sealant and put in a tube, but I have had FAR less instances of flat tires on the trail (one, in well over a year, and that was an S-Works 2-Bliss sidewall that let go, which they are notorious for).

That ZTR/Flow set @ 1750g sounds great to me.

Eat me.
    Jun 2006
    I run Hope Pro II wlth Mavic XC717 rims, and black Revolution spokes - a set from chainreactioncycles.com in that config is running USD$426.50 with free shipping, and will be cheaper if you choose cheaper spokes. Set weighs approx. 1569g on paper and I ran a set I laced up myself for 3 years before re-lacing a 2nd set, and I ride similar conditions to where you're located.

Side note: the label on the XC717 rim states for a 2.3 width tire (the max. tire width for this rim) the the max pressure is 48 psi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    decided to go with the ztr arch wheelset and now that i have decided they are out of stock on the notubes website.... so my question is where else can i get this wheelset. i did a search on yahoo and found a bunch of people selling the rims but nobody selling a complete build for me.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    decided to go with the ztr arch wheelset and now that i have decided they are out of stock on the notubes website.... so my question is where else can i get this wheelset. i did a search on yahoo and found a bunch of people selling the rims but nobody selling a complete build for me.
    If those are the wheels you want, I would wait for them. Call Stans and ask them when they expect them back in stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    well after all the advice i get on the phone with the stans guy and he thought the crest would be a good option. i told him that i ride this bike alot and don't switch out wheelsets and it is my do it all bike. i don't session drops but if they are in my way i like hitting them. he said the crest would be the ticket. wheelset is super light for what i am used to. comes in at like 1440 with 2.0/1,7 spokes. i always error on the side of heavy duty so this is my try at going a little bit lighter and well see if i regret it. wheelset should be in by end of next week. winter stinks so probably won't give it a good go until march or april...

mtbr member
    If the Crests don't work out for you, you can get your new wheels rebuilt with Arches or Flows, depending on how you want to ride your wheels.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0