mtbr member

1600 wheel build

So if you had 1600 to throw down on some new wheels what would you get? I've researched a lot and im still undecided. A little info on me, im not an over aggressive rider and im a bit of a clyde 240lbs. Looking for 29er wheels with a 25-30 ID. If I had to I could spend a little more.

On my list are
    Industry nine Trail 270 weigh 1745g
    SC Reserve 27 DT Swiss 1755g I9's 1735g
    SC Reserve 30 DT Swiss 1831g I9's 1811
    DT Swiss XM1501 Spline one 30 1677g
    DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline 25 1577g
    Raceface Next R 1765g

Or do I just stick with my DT Swiss XM481's with i9 Torch hubs.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You already have excellent hubs. Why not reuse them with some new Spank rims?
    $300 installed, plus shipping.
    Let me know if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    I agree. If you really must have carbon, pick the rims you like and have them built on your current hubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Are they getting out of true? Too dinged up? If not, I wouldn't bother. That's a really nice set already!

Asswipe
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Lame. Buy an ad.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Barely in control
    What are you after, performance? Bling? weight weenie? The wheels you have are nice. Sometimes the key to happiness is to learn to want what you already have.

mtbr member
    At 240lbs stick to what works. If your current wheelset isn't blown up or messed up, do not change them. you're going to be chasing grams here for at most 150-200g and potentially, you're giving up reliability. I weigh too much and ride too hard to chase grams at 185lbs geared.

That being said, the reserve wheels are choice and they would be my pick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Sometimes the key to happiness is to learn to want what you already have.
    Great advice.

Especially considering the hubs you have are one of the best out there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, I just hear that carbon is easier to pedal and faster to accelerate out of the corners, maybe easier to climb with.

I got a good deal on my current wheels from pinkbike, can you believe I only paid 400 bucks for them and they have Sapim cx-ray bladed spokes. If I was to buy new wheels im sure I could get what I paid for them. Sometimes when your tax return comes back you think what should I buy, new wheels were a thought.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I just hear that carbon is easier to pedal and faster to accelerate out of the corners, maybe easier to climb with.

I got a good deal on my current wheels from pinkbike, can you believe I only paid 400 bucks for them and they have Sapim cx-ray bladed spokes. If I was to buy new wheels im sure I could get what I paid for them. Sometimes when your tax return comes back you think what should I buy, new wheels were a thought.
    We all suffer from it. I have a set of Ibis 738 wheels on my hardtail. I keep getting the urge to build up new wheels with some nice White Industries hubs. The problem is the 738s work great and there is no practical reason to do so. A few alternative suggestions for use of those funds:

1) Bike coaching. Nothing like some lessons to improve your riding.
    2) Tune your suspension- Nothing like having Vorsprung, Avalanche, or Push custom tune your stuff.
    3) Bike Trip- That riding trip you keep thinking of doing, but haven’t. You will remember that long after the wheels are gone.
    4) Personal Trainer or Nutritionist- I am in no position to judge your weight, I am 6’ and 230 pounds (as high as 245). That said, assuming you are not 6’6” or a bodybuilder, finding a way to reduce your weight permanently to what is a good weight for you can make a huge difference on and off the bike. Even dropping 20 pounds makes a significant difference in riding.

Riding slowly since 1977.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    We all suffer from it. I have a set of Ibis 738 wheels on my hardtail. I keep getting the urge to build up new wheels with some nice White Industries hubs. The problem is the 738s work great and there is no practical reason to do so. A few alternative suggestions for use of those funds:

1) Bike coaching. Nothing like some lessons to improve your riding.
    2) Tune your suspension- Nothing like having Vorsprung, Avalanche, or Push custom tune your stuff.
    3) Bike Trip- That riding trip you keep thinking of doing, but haven’t. You will remember that long after the wheels are gone.
    4) Personal Trainer or Nutritionist- I am in no position to judge your weight, I am 6’ and 230 pounds (as high as 245). That said, assuming you are not 6’6” or a bodybuilder, finding a way to reduce your weight permanently to what is a good weight for you can make a huge difference on and off the bike. Even dropping 20 pounds makes a significant difference in riding.

Also, its sort of a myth that heavy wheels steal energy, or are much more important for efficiency. Yes rotational inertia is higher but that some rotational energy is money in the bank when something wishes you to slow down.

Light wheels do feel good. For efficiency and speed and life it is much better to lose weight. And most people can lose a lot! (Like me!)
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi