mtbr member
    Nov 2018

15mm and 12mm thru axle on a frame with dropouts for 9mm qr

i want to upgrade my wheelset to a new pair of mavic ones:https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...heelset-671597
    i was wondering if the 15mm and 12mm thru axles will fit my frame and fork, i have a focus whistler 27.5 evo from 2017. is there any kits that you can buy for the bolts or for the frame?

thanks in regards!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I never recommend Mavic wheels. Proprietary parts and built with a road bike engineering outlook. Can you find a different wheelset? 24 spokes on a rear wheel with proprietary spokes you'll never find when they break. Do you have a link for your bike specs?

mtbr member
    at the same price, you will have some great option from DTSWISS, available on the same site or bike-component.de or wiggle. For example:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...heelset-676054

I personally have 2 wheelset from dtswiss (one on my gravel/road bike) and one for my fatbike. Great bang for buck and they come with all the parts to convert from TA to QR. Just make sure to buy the good rear driver (XD vs Shimano) and boost vs non boost. Looking at focus website, you probably need Shimano version and non-boost version. But don't take my word for it!
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mavic wheels are great wheels but they seem a little behind the times as far a rim widths.
    That being said, there are also other choices

I believe you're bike mostly likely has a 15mm x 100 mm fork and a 12mm x 142mm rear axle. Pull out the axles and measure between the dropouts to be sure.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:56 AM.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Youíll have to upgrade to a TA fork to be able to use those wheels. Also, a quick search tells me that the rear uses 142x12mm, Iím not sure if itís TA or QR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    at the same price, you will have some great option from DTSWISS, available on the same site or bike-component.de or wiggle. For example:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...heelset-676054

I personally have 2 wheelset from dtswiss (one on my gravel/road bike) and one for my fatbike. Great bang for buck and they come with all the parts to convert from TA to QR. Just make sure to buy the good rear driver (XD vs Shimano) and boost vs non boost. Looking at focus website, you probably need Shimano version and non-boost version. But don't take my word for it!
    I will look into those dtswiss wheels or another wheel set, I haven't really decided on the wheels but I know that I want the 15mm thru front and 12mm thru rear as many wheels have it standard. I don't want boost as it will put good money to waste because the 15mm and 12mm axles will be more than enough for me as I don't ride that intense yet. The shimano hub is what I should go with then. Do you or someone else know how I will get the rear 12mm axle to stay in the frame, is there any type of cap you put at the end of the axle sorta like the 9mmqr I have now.

Thanks for your answer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatobiker View Post
    I will look into those dtswiss wheels or another wheel set, I haven't really decided on the wheels but I know that I want the 15mm thru front and 12mm thru rear as many wheels have it standard. I don't want boost as it will put good money to waste because the 15mm and 12mm axles will be more than enough for me as I don't ride that intense yet. The shimano hub is what I should go with then. Do you or someone else know how I will get the rear 12mm axle to stay in the frame, is there any type of cap you put at the end of the axle sorta like the 9mmqr I have now.

Thanks for your answer!
    You need a hub that can accept 10mm through axles if you want to get away from QRs, the DT Swiss RWS 10mm through axles have worked well for me in the past and they include the end nut, it's kind of like a giant QR in that respect. Or an adapter axle to take 12mm to QR. And there are adapter axles for the front hub that would allow a 15mm through axle to work with your fork, but it gets to be a hassle to get all this together for a wheelset that probably won't be compatible with much in the future. Do you really need a new wheelset for this bike?

jrm
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    You need a hub that can accept 10mm through axles if you want to get away from QRs, the DT Swiss RWS 10mm through axles have worked well for me in the past and they include the end nut, it's kind of like a giant QR in that respect. Or an adapter axle to take 12mm to QR. And there are adapter axles for the front hub that would allow a 15mm through axle to work with your fork, but it gets to be a hassle to get all this together for a wheelset that probably won't be compatible with much in the future. Do you really need a new wheelset for this bike?
    Yes, the stock wheels that came with the bike are really shitty and they wobble around sometimes, doesn't matter how hard I tighten them. I also think that the stock axles won't be that straight after a while, a thicker axle is better suited for my style of riding. Can you maybe post a link for wheels from dtswiss that came with that cap?

mtbr member
    Yes, the stock wheels that came with the bike are really shitty and they wobble around sometimes, doesn't matter how hard I tighten them. I also think that the stock axles won't be that straight after a while, a thicker axle is better suited for my style of riding. Can you maybe post a link for wheels from dtswiss that came with that cap?
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/hubs-rws/rws/10-mm/

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/support/c...tion-mtb-rear/

I bought the axle separate and used it with an Onyx Racing hub, you just have to make sure your wheels can take a 10mm through axle or has end caps available to convert them. Cheaper QR hubs won't support it, but many mid-level and up hubs will. You also need to verify is your frame is 135mm or 142mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

I bought the axle separate and used it with an Onyx Racing hub, you just have to make sure your wheels can take a 10mm through axle or has end caps available to convert them. Cheaper QR hubs won't support it, but many mid-level and up hubs will. You also need to verify is your frame is 135mm or 142mm.
    Thank you so much, I will measure my frame tomorrow and I'll come back with the measurements.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

My frame is 135mm rear. The hubs have what appears to be threaded caps.

mtbr member
    My frame is 135mm rear. The hubs have what appears to be threaded caps.
    I think something like this is what you want. Huge upgrade over what you have. This set would work with other bikes to a point, anything somewhat modern but pre/non-Boost. You could definitely find cheaper options, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I think something like this is what you want. Huge upgrade over what you have. This set would work with other bikes to a point, anything somewhat modern but pre/non-Boost. You could definitely find cheaper options, too.
    Unfortunately I can't view the image, can you try to send it in another way?

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I can't view the image, can you try to send it in another way?
    It was a screenshot of a Bike-Discount shopping cart, I don't know why it stopped working. Here are links to what was in the picture:

www.bike-discount.de dt-swiss e1700-spline-two-27.5-wheelset

www.bike-discount.de dt-swiss kit-10mm-135mm-thru-bolt-rearwheel

www.bike-discount.de dt-swiss 10mm-rws-thru-bolt-alu-135mm

www.bike-discount.de qr-adapter-front-15mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Can you explain the use for all of these parts and I also wonder if I can pick another wheelset that is cheaper from dtswiss

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I never recommend Mavic wheels.
    Agree. Rims, no problem. Wheels? No. I don't care that some people use Mavic wheels without an issue I still think a standard-build wheel would be better.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Can you explain the use for all of these parts and I also wonder if I can pick another wheelset that is cheaper from dtswiss
    The additional parts make those wheels work with your frame and fork. However, if you upgrade to a frame and fork that use through-axles these wheels will work with them too.

$500 is about the low end limit if you want a set of good quality wheels with modern features. If the cost of this package isn't do-able, you should probably do nothing. Anything cheaper won't be much of an upgrade, if at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    The additional parts make those wheels work with your frame and fork. However, if you upgrade to a frame and fork that use through-axles these wheels will work with them too.

$500 is about the low end limit if you want a set of good quality wheels with modern features. If the cost of this package isn't do-able, you should probably do nothing. Anything cheaper won't be much of an upgrade, if at all.
    1+ on this... Also, M1700 comes in different inner width rim. I'd go for a 25mm over a 30 for your bike (100mm hardtail, 70 degree head-angle, 2.1 tires etc). 30mm will add weight and may (or may not) cause clearance issue at the back if you want to run bigger tires
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    1+ on this... Also, M1700 comes in different inner width rim. I'd go for a 25mm over a 30 for your bike (100mm hardtail, 70 degree head-angle, 2.1 tires etc). 30mm will add weight and may (or may not) cause clearance issue at the back if you want to run bigger tires
    This is a good point, there is a 25mm option that is also cheaper, I originally had it listed and changed my mind in favor of the 30mm wheels being a better investment for future use. Being able to fully use a bigger front tire even if the rear is a squeeze is nice(but also if the fork will take it). It's a tough call and I never regretted going wider in a similar choice on my old hardtail, but he will get good performance with the 25mm too. Any narrower than that would be a strong no-go from me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

15mm and 12mm thru axle on a frame with dropouts for 9mm qr

This is a good point, there is a 25mm option that is also cheaper, I originally had it listed and changed my mind in favor of the 30mm wheels being a better investment for future use. Being able to fully use a bigger front tire even if the rear is a squeeze is nice(but also if the fork will take it). It's a tough call and I never regretted going wider in a similar choice on my old hardtail, but he will get good performance with the 25mm too. Any narrower than that would be a strong no-go from me.
    You could also go with a 30mm front and 25mm rear if your fork has enough clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I forgot to mention that I have two new tyres on that are 2.35 inches wide from schwalbe.

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention that I have two new tyres on that are 2.35 inches wide from schwalbe.
    How do they fit? If there is plenty of clearance for them in your frame and fork now, then the 30mm rims are not going to make a huge difference in clearance. Either 25mm or 30mm will work with those tires. 30mm is becoming a fairly standard width and would ride great with the 2.35 tires and also better handle bigger tires if you want to in the future.

This is a decent article on wheel widths: www.pinkbike.com/rim-widths-comparison

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    How do they fit? If there is plenty of clearance for them in your frame and fork now, then the 30mm rims are not going to make a huge difference in clearance. Either 25mm or 30mm will work with those tires. 30mm is becoming a fairly standard width and would ride great with the 2.35 tires and also better handle bigger tires if you want to in the future.

This is a decent article on wheel widths: www.pinkbike.com/rim-widths-comparison
    The rims that came with the bike are 21mm wide and my tire have about 7 mm of clearance rear and 1.5cm in front on either side of the tyre, I want a rim that is narrower because of the rounder profile I get from the tyres which mak ethem more predictable when turning into corners. 25 mm is the widest I want to go

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    The rims that came with the bike are 21mm wide and my tire have about 7 mm of clearance rear and 1.5cm in front on either side of the tyre, I want a rim that is narrower because of the rounder profile I get from the tyres which mak ethem more predictable when turning into corners. 25 mm is the widest I want to go
    I am now also thinking about upgrading the wheels to new ones, I am also going to upgrade my front fork. Do you have any tips on rockshox forks and good wheels for a reasonable price with over 100mm travel and under 150mm travel. I also want to know what I should do to my frame in the rear to fit a 12mm thru axle

since 4/10/2009
    I also want to know what I should do to my frame in the rear to fit a 12mm thru axle
    There is nothing you can do to fit a 12mm thru axle into a hardtail frame with open QR dropouts. Can't happen.

The most you can possibly do is buy a 135mm spaced rear wheel with end caps to fit a 10mm thru bolt (like the DT Swiss RWS 10x135). My wife has a 2010 Santa Cruz with this setup (wheels are Industry Nine/Light Bicycle).

Velodonata already recommended this option to you. It's either that, or another rear QR wheel. On a hardtail, I don't feel like it matters.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I am now also thinking about upgrading the wheels to new ones, I am also going to upgrade my front fork. Do you have any tips on rockshox forks and good wheels for a reasonable price with over 100mm travel and under 150mm travel. I also want to know what I should do to my frame in the rear to fit a 12mm thru axle
    Having been down this road long ago, I have to say it... If you keep trying to upgrade this bike you'll spend more than you would buying a newer bike with the features you want. The upgrades you do to the current bike won't really make it worth more. So if you do this, keep all the original parts so you can put them back on when you do (inevitably) sell it.

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Having been down this road long ago, I have to say it... If you keep trying to upgrade this bike you'll spend more than you would buying a newer bike with the features you want. The upgrades you do to the current bike won't really make it worth more. So if you do this, keep all the original parts so you can put them back on when you do (inevitably) sell it.

If you buy 100% Western components, as in American/Canadian/British, then yes, it's not worth upgrading the bike with those parts that tend to be more expensive.

If on the other hand you give the Chinese a chance, and roll the dice on their components, you can build something significantly cheaper than a brand-name complete bike. But most on here don't like that idea, for reasons that we probably should not go into. The brand-name bikes that I really like, with no modifications after purchase, run around $4500. I can build essentially the same bike with a mix of Shimano, SRAM, and Chinese components for $2200. That's not including any LBS help, but it's 1/2 the price of buying new. Now...does it have a warranty? No, or maybe one year, that is the major difference. But I guarantee that all of the parts are not going to fail within a few years, that is just not going to happen. Some parts, maybe, all parts, no way. It's cheaper to build this way, short- and long-term.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.