12 speed 9mm QR hubs...do they exist?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

12 speed 9mm QR hubs...do they exist?

I've been searching for hours, so I can upgrade my hub and install this 12 speed cassette. My current 135mm Shimano hub doesn't quite make the grade. I likely need one that is 142mm+, but I can't seem to find one that supports my existing 9mm QR frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KessilRun View Post
    I've been searching for hours, so I can upgrade my hub and install this 12 speed cassette. My current 135mm Shimano hub doesn't quite make the grade. I likely need one that is 142mm+, but I can't seem to find one that supports my existing 9mm QR frame.
    Kind of curious what part of your current set up is letting you down. I am in the minority here, but I don't think 1x 11/12 groups are a huge leap forward.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Kind of curious what part of your current set up is letting you down. I am in the minority here, but I don't think 1x 11/12 groups are a huge leap forward.
    Well I'm new to the drive train side of things. I had the thought to update my old MTB from an English BSA, to a modern day SRAM Dub. That install went well. So next was my SRAM bundle, consisting of the GX 12 speed shifter, NX 12 Speed cassette (fits on a Shimano/ non-XD hub) and GX 12 speed deraileur. All of those installs went well, with exception to the cassette. It all packs nicely onto my 10/ 11 speed Shimano driver, but once mounted onto my frame the last COG sits so close the frame that there won't be room for a chain. I looked and noticed the cassette locking nut is about flush with the axle locking nut, and generally I see a locking nut protrude out, in most other people's builds. Maybe it's how I have the cassettes and spacers stacked? In either case when I adjust the deraileur to try and line it up with the final cog, I have the alignment screw fully backed out and it still won't come out far enough to line up...likely because there's no spacing between the cog and my frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Wait... I think my problem is similar to this person's

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...ette_question/

I used all the spacers that came packaged between the cogs. Was I not to use them all?

slow
    Did you use a spacer behind the cassette? (i.e. install any spacer on the freehub before sliding the cassette onto the freehub body)
    If so, try re-installing without that spacer. The spacers between the cogs should all be installed, but you may not need one behind the cassette since you don't have a road hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'll check. I think I may have! Thanks!

bike rider
    Doesn't every 12spd cassette require a XD or Microspline freehub? I doubt you'll find a hub with one of those and a QR axle end cap.
    Keep the Country country.

turtles make me hot
    I've used a whole bunch of the Sunrace 12 speed cassettes on any wheel with a regular Shimano freehub. The ONLY wheel I had a slight issue with was a first gen Krampus 135mm hub. Only problem was the Rabbit hole rim. It had dual rows of spokes so they don't taper in very much. The big cog was touching the spokes slightly. All I needed to fix it was a 1mm spacer under the cassette.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Doesn't every 12spd cassette require a XD or Microspline freehub? I doubt you'll find a hub with one of those and a QR axle end cap.
    I'm basically uneducated in many Bicycle components, but can tell you about tearing apart dirtbikes, from many years of motocross/ woods racing...that said, I'm not sure what is considered Micro Spline, but have heard very much of XD. Sunrace and SRAM both make a 12 speed cassettes that fit a standard Shimano hub. By my recollection those had about 12(?) Splines.

rth009
    May 2010
    microspline is a new freehub body from Shimano designed for their new 12 speed cassettes.

Formerly of Kent
    Well, the first problem you have is that 9mm is a FRONT HUB standard. Not a rear hub standard, which would explain your inability to find such a beast. 135x10mm is the rear hub standard.

That said, I can run Eagle 12 speed on any of my DT Swiss 240s after converting them from 142x12 to 135x10 (either thru bolt or QR). That's a simple end cap swap.
    Death from Below.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Well, the first problem you have is that 9mm is a FRONT HUB standard. Not a rear hub standard, which would explain your inability to find such a beast. 135x10mm is the rear hub standard.
    It doesn't help the confusion when manufacturers screw up the specs. I saw on Norco's website the other day that they listed a rear qr axle on a frame as being 9mm. Um, no.

bike rider
    Ah, so Sram NX Eagle and Sunrace are the 12spd cassettes that fit a standard freehub. There shouldn't be any problem putting those on a 13510 hub. SLX and XT are Microspline, right?
    Keep the Country country.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Ah, so Sram NX Eagle and Sunrace are the 12spd cassettes that fit a standard freehub. There shouldn't be any problem putting those on a 13510 hub. SLX and XT are Microspline, right?
    Right.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Have you gotten the 12 speed to function... Without warranty voiding feats of engineering?

mtbr member
    This is a 135 x 10, microspline rear hub

Shimano MT500

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../FH-MT500.html
    (and I'm sure that the listed weight includes an nuclear war proof qr skewer).