Thread: 1/2 Voluminous

tire to rim ratio tester

1/2 Voluminous

I'm thinking of building a relatively lightweight XC bike in the next 1-2 years, and tire weights obviously are a factor. I love the Maxxis 2.5 DHF but it's out due to weight. That leaves, at least for Maxxis, the Rekon, Ardent, and a new one, the Aspen.

One of the Rekon 2.6's is really light for that size, the 3C max terra, only 730 grams. I know it seems a bit wide for an XC bike but I'm in a lot of loose dirt and really like something wider up front. The rear of the bike can maybe fit a 2.5 or 2.6. I was thinking of a 2.4 Ardent in back (775 grams), but why not the Aspen 2.1 at only 590 grams? Just that back tire difference from the Ardent would save 0.4 lbs.

Is 2.6 front 2.1 back too much of a difference? Right now on my current bike I'm doing 2.8 front and 2.4 back and it seems fine. Is 1/2 voluminous fine to do just like 1/2 plus is? What would be the drawback of having a tire in the back that's 1/2 inch more narrow than the front, besides cornering?
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

mtbr member
    Last edited by LyNx; 1 Week Ago at 12:42 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbpete
    There's nothing necessarily wrong with that tire combination, but I think a big tire on the rear will give you a lot of the benefits of a big tire on the front and more volume to prevent rim strikes.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    There's nothing necessarily wrong with that tire combination, but I think a big tire on the rear will give you a lot of the benefits of a big tire on the front and more volume to prevent rim strikes.

Oh and by the way I plan on hucking it off a curb, because it's more than $1700.
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

mtbpete
    Enjoy!