XC in Invermere- Mtbr.com

Thread: XC in Invermere

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XC in Invermere

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for XC trail rides in the Invermere area or possibly any resources, maps etc available online?

I know this is MTBR but if anyone has any recommended road routes too that would be great.

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There are definitely some trails in the area, although I'm still trying to figure them out. On the south side of toby creek is a good xc trail. Trail head is somewhat difficult to find, maybe ask at a LBS for some help? Also, I think Eastcott's "Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies" has info on the area. http://rmbooks.com/books/easbac.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Best to check with the shops in town.

the Toby Creek trail ( on the south side of Toby Creek) is not what it used to be due to house construction in the area. Last I heard ( a couple wks ago) there was a lot of fence strung up blocking what's left of the trail in several spots.

the 'along the shlong' trail on the north side of toby creek is fun, but is not a long loop.

I haven't ridden in Kimberly or Cranbrook (both an hour drive away to the south) but I have heard good things. The moonraker trails south of Golden (an hour drive to the north from Invermere are tonnes of fun)

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    There's a good alpine epic up Brewer Creek. Brodiegrrl (my wife) and I wrote that one up for MTBR. It's listed under Pro Reviews.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Stop by Rob's Bike Shop. The South side is completely fenced off now. Lee, did you ride brewer the same way as the Transrockies or the opposite direction? After living here for 3 years, I think I'm going to finally bike that trail.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ^^^Since when? I rode the trail less than 2 weeks ago. Maybe I was trespassing? Shouldn't surprise me - I sometimes get the impression Invermere exists simply for hawking real estate to Calgarians.

Edit: the area's awesome, no doubt. The realtors leave me less than impressed, however.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaclynj
    Stop by Rob's Bike Shop. The South side is completely fenced off now. Lee, did you ride brewer the same way as the Transrockies or the opposite direction? After living here for 3 years, I think I'm going to finally bike that trail.
    jaclyn,

I rode Brewer the regular way described in Eastcott's book. It was a weird way the TRockies race did it. What a fantastic alpine loop it was.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/brewer-...-invermere-bc/
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Crank
    ^^^Since when? I rode the trail less than 2 weeks ago. Maybe I was trespassing? Shouldn't surprise me - I sometimes get the impression Invermere exists simply for hawking real estate to Calgarians.

Edit: the area's awesome, no doubt. The realtors leave me less than impressed, however.
    Calgarians tend to be a big contributor to all of Invermere's problems...you just have to ride where the land isn't going to be developped any time soon. Might not have been up when you were out, but it runs from the cattleguard all the way up to the gravel pit. There's a couple of places where someone has "adjusted" it to fit bikes through.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaclynj
    Calgarians tend to be a big contributor to all of Invermere's problems...you just have to ride where the land isn't going to be developped any time soon. Might not have been up when you were out, but it runs from the cattleguard all the way up to the gravel pit. There's a couple of places where someone has "adjusted" it to fit bikes through.
    Speaking as a Calgarian... Calgarians tend to be a big contributor to loads more than just Invermeres problems

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ahh Calgary the cure and then cause of so many small town BC problems... With the problems with soft wood lumber and the economy how does a small town have an economy without relying on tourism. But with it comes inflated real estate cost so then how do the locals afford to live. Do you take the Invermere/Fernie/Canmore approach and put up a parking lot. Then the tourism, construction employs alot of people. Or the Nelson ban development approach, and have non residents pay double property taxes... Its not easy to find the balance between the two.

Members who have read this thread: 0