Winter riding west of Calgary- Mtbr.com
    Shuttles R 4 Pussies

Winter riding west of Calgary

Can anybody give me recommendations for trails that are suitable for winter riding, west of Calgary? A friend suggested trying the Elbow Loop, but then I remembered that the highway access is closed during the winter.

What I'm looking for is something that is traveled enough to be packed fairly firm and slippery, rather than deep and loose. That's what works best for my Schwalbe Ice Spiker tires.

Thanks
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I have no idea about riding in Calgary, but the David Thompson corridor near Nordegg can be relatively snow free sometimes during the winter (speaking from several years of hiking in the region in March). The trails near the townsite or on the Kooteney Plains might be a good idea. Call the Center for Outdoor Education, Shunda Creek Hostel, or Frontier Lodge before going out there.

If there is snow the trails will definitely not be packed.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Off the back...
    You might be able to get some XC action in from Station Flats [Hwy 66 past Bragg Creek]. You can also ride up Moose Mountain road and take one of the trails down, like Sulphur Springs back to Station Flats. Last I heard, the road was in decent shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In the past I have ridden Powderface-Prairie link (beware the snow is potholed by horses and cattle though), up the Moose road and down RaceOfSpades, and Barrier (Prairie View-Jewel Pass) but this winter there's a lot of snow everywhere, so I haven't been out there since all the snow hit last Fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

West Bragg

You could try the trails out of the West Bragg Parking lot. Its trackset for xc skiing so it'll be packed down, you should be fine as long as you don't ride in the trackset. The side towards Tom snow is more trackset and maintained than the side towards Telephone Pole. Telephone pole is still trackset but less maintained so it may be more polically correct to try that side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone know how far west the snow hit?
    Did Prairie View get a lot?

Members who have read this thread: 0