Winnipeg - New trails need riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Winnipeg - New trails need riders

New trail developed last fall - needs more riders on it to keep it burnt in better.

U of M Trails - Following the river on the North side of the University.

Starts at the West end of the Wallace Building by the loading dock (Google it) - trail heads East. Right now it is an out and back. It is fun, flowy and pretty fast.

The first section behind the Wallace Building only goes for a couple hundred meters, then dumps out into a grass field, keep heading East through the grassy field past the White Castle thing, then starts again in the trees (look on your left), about 100 meters East of the White Castle. Then the trail goes about another 1.5 km (about 2 km total). It stays close to the dike (away from the river) and goes around the farm fields at the Uni. Make sure to continue by going through the opening in the chain link fence, the trail keeps going. It basically goes until you get to the old chicken koop. Weeds and spring flooding have overtaken the rest of the loop that was developed last fall unfortunately (for now).

This year was BRUTAL for weeds, so be warned, there is some stinging nettle in there right now, and it is a little weedy / overgrown in areas, but the trails need more riders to help keep it in good condition. Please try to be respectful to the fact the trails are on university grounds and try to keep a low profile.

Have fun.
    Last edited by newtrailhead; 08-24-2010 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    didn't know this trail existed now I'll go find it and give it a try

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    please do!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just a little warning - when you are half way through the trails and go through the opening in the chain link fence - there is some barbed wire hanging at head height - it is tagged with a little bit of orange tape - but be careful and watch for that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cool I will have to check it out when I get some time.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Got a chance to give this trail a shot today, was a pretty good ride, a little short, but I still enjoyed it. It was just wet enough that the trail was a little slick and the mud/clay managed to fill my tires in making some sections a little interesting, but I still had fun.

I assume this is the chicken koop you were talking about?

Side note, does anyone have any tire recommendations for the clay/gumbo type soil that is so common around here? I am currently running WTB Prowler SL 2.1's and find they get a little slick in the wet/mud, wouldn't mind a little more traction, oh yeah, and they have to be available for 29 inch wheels.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    I ride with maxxis ignitors on my 29er. They clog with mud. I've yet to see a good mud shedding option for a tire 26" or 29". Tried many tires with lil luck. the closest to "reasonable" was a maxxis minion dh rear. super grippy and slow rolling though. But it held it's own even when the conditions where mud. nto sure there's a 29er option.

Still haven't seen this trail yet, but hoping to soon. Maybe a group ride should be formed to do it Be fun to meet other riders in the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bryce - Yeah - longer would be nice. But it is probably as long or longer than any other trails in WPG right now. I was there on Sunday, was perfect shape once it had dried out a bit. I actually tried to build it mostly sidehill / off camber so it dries out faster.

I ride race tires, so I can't help with good mud tires. Maybe Conti Mountain Kings for 29er, big knobs, spread apart. But our clay based mud in WPG sticks to ANY tire and packs up when the soil is just the right tackiness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    double post - sorry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry new, didn't mean to sound like i was knocking it for it's length, I know we don't have much in the way of trails in the city and it was a fun ride, maybe in the years to come, we could get a group out there and try to extend it some more.

I would be interested in a group ride there if you guys want, not sure when I would be able to make it, it looks like I will be fairly busy the next few weeks but if people are going let me know and I can try to make it out.

Thanks for the tire suggestions, I figured that may be the case, but thought maybe someone had come up with a reasonable way of dealing with it, guess you just have to deal and pick your trail based on recent rainfall.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This trail is no longer flooded and is pretty much ready to ride for 2011. Most of it has been raked / cleaned up, today's rain has it a little wet and muddy, but a couple days of sun - it should be good. It needs riders.

Members who have read this thread: 0