Wife's in Victoria, planning a (long) visit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wife's in Victoria, planning a (long) visit

So my (Canadian) wife is up in Victoria and I'm going to be joining her so we can spend some time together. I'll obviously be doing my 14-day quarantine, and then we'll spend some time enjoying the island before I head back to the US in October. It seems a terrible shame to be up there for so long and not bring my bike, on the other hand I'm not looking to cause problems.

For those who have done the border crossing during this awful mess, am I begging for trouble if I bring my bike?

For those on the island, are rental's available in the popular riding places? Would that be a lower risk option to get a few rides in?

ups and downs
    A single bike shouldn't be an issue. If you have a receipt with a S/N for the purchase it makes things easier getting in and getting back through the border. CBSA might want a declaration that you won't sell the bike while you're in Canada, and they may want to see the paper match up when you travel back south to prove you're taking the same bike back with you. If all your other paperwork is in order to enter the country the bike shouldn't be an issue.

There's some local riding around Hartland Mountain, Mt.Work Park, and Thetis Lake Park near Victoria, or up Island around Courtney/Comox/Cumberland (north of Nanaimo)

https://www.trailforks.com/region/victoria/

https://www.trailforks.com/region/cumberland-forest/

https://www.trailforks.com/region/forbidden-plateau/
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    People are doing the border crossing with bikes. I US racers who go to school in Canada have crossed with their bikes.

As long as you stick to your 14-day quarantine and don't drive around in a car with US plates you will have no issues. But the quarantine is serious, the RCMP will coming to check on you multiple times.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Thanks! I've ridden up by Duncan before and had a blast. Some of the Campbell River/Cumberland trails were part of why I thought to bring the bike. The trip to spend time with my wife is legit and doing my time in quarantine is the (high) price of admission. I don't want to screw that up by looking like an enduro-bro trying to sneak in with a BS excuse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    If your coming from the US to Canada because of immediate family you should be fine. After your quarantine, you should be good to go. Bring your bike, lots of great trails on Vancouver Island. Campbell River and Cumberland trails are open and running great. If you like bike parks, Mount Washington is open and offers lift access trails with great views. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Thanks Mckinley, that's the plan.

mtbr member
    So I brought the bike, made it through customs with no issues. Started my quarantine and looking forward to some great riding once I'm free to leave the apartment. One small challenge was getting the bike bag into the taxi, the drivers really wanted to be fair and give the driver at the head of the line my fare, but the little sedan was too small. After giving it the old college try, we easily fit it in the back of a prius.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Also check out Nanaimo. Had some fun at Doumont a month ago. Thereís other fun areas around there too Iíve heard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker2k View Post
    Also check out Nanaimo. Had some fun at Doumont a month ago. Thereís other fun areas around there too Iíve heard.
    Yeah Mt Benson area has some sweet trails

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maybe pull the plates off your car

https://www.revelstokereview.com/new...ds-in-damages/
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Wow, when did Canadians become such jerks?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Helpfully, I didn't drive up here so no risk of plate rage. I'm still in quarantine (counting the hours), so I'm not out and about but from what I've read in my copious web surfing, these instances of damage to vehicles with US plates are highly publicized but rare. I'd chalk it up to a few unhinged losers, but I'm sure this situation with the virus has everyone wound a little tighter than normal, especially the shitheels.

I hope not to hear yankee-go-home style localism when I can finally get out to ride, but if I do I'm not gonna let it ruin my ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hopefully everyone is friendly and welcoming, the mtbrs around here are usually pretty chill.

Duncan (not to far from Victoria) has some good trail systems including Mt Tzouhalem. The trail Double D is a must!

mtbr member
    Last time I was up this way I spend a couple of days riding Mt Tzouhalem and Maple Mountain, both made for excellent rides. Looking forward to riding some of these trails on my own bike. Rentals are great, but it's nice to be on a familiar bike.

mtbr member
    Good stuff around hartland and partridge in Vic. And Sooke at harbourview