Whistlers top of the world-khyber pass on a trail bike?- Mtbr.com
    The Mud Stud

Whistlers top of the world-khyber pass on a trail bike?

So, the title kind of says it all. Is this doable, or advisable, on my santa cruz 5010? It's got a 140mm fork, 2.5" tires and a dbinline shock, so as big as it can go for a 5010. Am I going to die if I attempt this?

mtbr member
    I road it on my scott genius and would not hesitate to ride it on my new riot. Top of the World may be more fun on an Enduro style bike. So short answer, yes ride it.

If your going to be riding the park a bunch also then you'll want to rent a dh bike.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbike81 View Post
    I road it on my scott genius and would not hesitate to ride it on my new riot. Top of the World may be more fun on an Enduro style bike. So short answer, yes ride it.

If your going to be riding the park a bunch also then you'll want to rent a dh bike.

What gear would you recommend wearing (such as knee pads and such)? Most of my experience kind of caps out on black diamond trails so I'm not sure if it's wise of me to attempt the Khyber pass and such, or if it's still doable with some caution? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Pads would not be a bad idea, I road it a few years ago and definitely felt over my head. I would still love to do that ride again though. It's one of those that you will not forget.

You definitely want to have a garmin or trailforks and the region downloaded on your phone so you know where you're going. Bring lots of water, tube, and tools if you decide to do it. You may not see anyone else. I ran into a few people when I got to Duncan's (Business time on Strava I think), but no one else the whole way.

If you're confident on the black diamond trails in the whistler valley you should be good most of the way down. There is some really steep stuff though that would probably have some great riders thinking twice. I may have made a few wrong turns, at one point in the trail you have two options, one where you have to decide on a pretty insane drop or to repel down a rope w your bike in one hand (would be much easier w a group of people). I'd get some intel from a shop in town before you set out as the locals will be able to give you much better info. It's definitely a ride that would be safer to do with a few buddies.

mtbr member
    I just rode it the other day on my Trance (140mm F/R). As was mentioned If you are confident with the black diamonds in the valley there is nothing on the route i did that is problematic.

We started in Creekside (took the gondola from there) rode Top of the world, Kyberpass, Middle of nowhere, Kashmir then Kush. (Plus a couple others unfortunately not on Trailforks, but you could work your way over to BC Trail). Spits you right back out at Creekside. This was the 'preferred' route down by a couple local friends I was with.

I found nothing hair raising on anything I rode or that I didn't ride into confidently, though it got steeper once we hit Kush. The only thing I would say is its pretty relentless. 12km and 1500m of technical descending, pretty much all the way down. So if you are at the limit of your technical abilities, it could be a long ride down.

Enjoy and hope the smoke clears so you can get the views.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Certainly doable, one guy on our crew rode a rental Trek. He walked some parts, but no prob. There aren't any big hits. Top of the World is rocky, but don't really need a 6" bike. Would recommend pads. After one year bobbling a fast line on TOTW and coming perilously close to stacking into the rocks lining the trail, came back next year with elbow, knee, and convertible chinbar helmet. I think just about every one of our crew also tumbled somewhere on that ride so pads are a good idea. It also more remote than other trails, if you can I'd say try not to ride solo.

i like rocks
    Rode this last year on a DH bike, though that was good for going mach-looney on some sections of TOTW, I generally thought it was more bike than necessary for all of it, and too much bike and a liability on much of the rest. Particularly Khyber, being my first time down the trail, and just the tight nature of the trail, I wasn't able to carry enough speed to gain advantage of the DH bikes capabilities, quite the opposite, the sluggish handling at lower speeds on a tight trail made it a pain in the arse.

Going to be back in a couple of weeks, bringing a 150mm 29er enduro bike this time. I expect this will be WAY better on that lap, being a nice compromise of lighter and snappier, yet still happy to haul chew through the chunder and carry as much speed as i'd like.

On gear, last year I wore a full face, knee pads, leatte and a camelback. I think i'm going to go lighter this year with just knee pads, trail helmet and a small butt bag. This might mean that I ride TOTW a little more conservatively, but will be much more comfortable from Kyhber and on.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Apr 2004