Whistler in the wet ... ok on High Rollers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Whistler in the wet ... ok on High Rollers?

Hi, I'm driving up to Whistler for the first time this weekend and it's forecast to be pretty rainy and has been raining this week, and I'm not sure how the trails are when it's wet. Was planning on using a pair of super tacky High Rollers I have but would I be better off picking up some mud tires?

mtbr member
    High roller ST's are one of the best choices. Mud tires are terrible in Whistler, or anywhere in the PNW for that matter.

Mud tires are designed to work in sticky, thick mud, which doesn't exist there. With the massive amounts of rain, what you get isn't so much mud as it is a soupy mess. Mud tires tend to have tall, floppy knobs that will end up bending over on the rocks and roots,

Tires with a good rubber compound are the key to riding Whistler in the wet. Just be warned, the rock in Whistler is very slick when wet, no matter what tires you have.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke
    ... Just be warned, the rock in Whistler is very slick when wet, no matter what tires you have.
    Unless you're coming from Hawaii, then the rock there is sticky as hell. I found the roots to be
    the problem, not the rocks. I have more issues with the rocks at WBP (or anywhere I've ridden
    in BC) when it's dry not wet. When it's dry it can get a thin scree of dirt that can act like ball
    bearings.

Watch out for the roots!!!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm a North Shore guy. I'm used to the roots. But there's a reason why they close Joyride in the rain. that red rock is deadly slick in the wet. The grey stuff (granite) is pretty good when wet.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I'm a North Shore guy. I'm used to the roots. But there's a reason why they close Joyride in the rain. that red rock is deadly slick in the wet. The grey stuff (granite) is pretty good when wet.
    In all the times I've hit WBP I never rode JR, this year for sure. Can you relate the rock to anything
    else on the mountain? I'm assuming if it's red it's a lot like Kauai red dirt clay (which is worse than
    ice when wet.

mtbr member
    The Whistler grey granite is amazingly sticky when wet, compared to the glacially polished intrusive rock in the Victoria area. Itís more like the exposed, eroded basalt in Sooke. Thankfully, I have not knowingly ridden any of the red stuff in the rain.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronston
    The Whistler grey granite is amazingly sticky when wet, compared to the glacially polished intrusive rock in the Victoria area. Itís more like the exposed, eroded basalt in Sooke. Thankfully, I have not knowingly ridden any of the red stuff in the rain.

Except for one spot on GT I think the Sooke rock is pretty damn sticky.

mtbr member
    I agree, Sooke is sticky in the wet, like Whistler. When I said "Victoria area" I really meant Hartland.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronston
    I agree, Sooke is sticky in the wet, like Whistler. When I said "Victoria area" I really meant Hartland.
    Yeah, there's a few rolls that don't get used too much there so they gots lots of moss...moss+wet = fall

mtbr member
    The red stuff in Whister won't be like the Hawaii red. I think youlve got leached out tropical soils and red lava. Whistler is some kind of iron rich smooth stuff. You just have to deal with whatever line you're on until you hit something else...prefereably with your tires instead of your lips.

You get similar bits of that red rock in places up Garbo and on Schleyer, as well as Natonals and Clown Shoes.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    The red stuff in Whister won't be like the Hawaii red. I think youlve got leached out tropical soils and red lava. Whistler is some kind of iron rich smooth stuff. You just have to deal with whatever line you're on until you hit something else...prefereably with your tires instead of your lips.

You get similar bits of that red rock in places up Garbo and on Schleyer, as well as Natonals and Clown Shoes.
    Nothing in Garbo, Shcleyer or CS comes even close to how slippery Hawaii dirt can be that I've seen.
    It's as if not more slippery than a NS root after a wet winter and no one riding on it to take away
    the moss.

What gives the red it's color is iron. The biggest difference between BC dirt (any I've found)
    and Hawaii dirt is how much it backs on your tires. Picture it building up so much on your tire
    that a back tire on a bullit won't turn. You could make pots out of the stuff it's so gooey, there's
    no vegetable matter in the soil over there like here in BC. It's something to experience for
    sure.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Can I divert the slippy factor discussion for some tire recommendations for 8 days in July on Whistler??? ....currently runing WTB ProwlerMX front Nevegal back. But will go with what works best for the locals.
    Tires will be for my Pitch and (by then) wifes Canfield all 2.3 or larger.
    Should I bring studded tires for wet board track?
    kidding of course
    I presume what works for Whistler would be good for Squamish too?
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Minions if you got $$
    Nevegals are a good IMO, that's what I use, but I am broke/cheap
    Excavators are doing pretty good for some of my buddies

WBP tears tires up, but when it's wet sticky tires are good. Later when it's dry a harder compound
    works just fine. But if there's anything I've learned, tires are a very personal choice. LOL

mtbr member
    Any Maxxis DH 2.5's in a softer compund are great. Michelin DH tires are good too, but I find I wear out the 2.5's really fast. 2.8's last and are fun, but slow.

I was surprised by the Bontrager Big Earls too. Lightweight, didn't wear out fast, and reasonable grip in the wet. Not as full on as a DH tire, but a great all rounder.

Nevegals are decent for the money, but what you save on the tire you'll spend on tubes.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Nevegals are decent for the money, but what you save on the tire you'll spend on tubes.
    Unless you run stans. Zero flats in 7 years, one partial burb (running 15 psi on a michi 36) and
    one 1/4" sidewall tear that let the tire go to 5psi before it sealed it (I road it down filled the tire
    with a borrowed hand pump and ran it for another week).

Tubes are for suckers.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just switched to Stan's and tubeless last week. Standard Nevegals leaked like mad in the sideway but eventually it seals up with riding time. So we're not planning on flats

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup
    Just switched to Stan's and tubeless last week. Standard Nevegals leaked like mad in the sideway but eventually it seals up with riding time. So we're not planning on flats

I never had too much luck w/ the standard Nevegals, only the DH or tubeless ones, but with
    those two I've had great luck (I've been running them for about 3 years no issues). The regular
    Nevegals I could get to seal, but after a day or so of running after they'd sit for an hour they'd
    start to leak like mad. I hope you have better luck than I did.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    just checked and it held all week in the garage after riding last week

mtbr member
    Nevegals erode with Stans, FYI. But I think it takes several months, do a search and you can find plenty of scary photos of failed tires due to Stans. Personally, I run Michelin 2.8F/2.5R
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    Nevegals erode with Stans, FYI. But I think it takes several months, do a search and you can find plenty of scary photos of failed tires due to Stans. Personally, I run Michelin 2.8F/2.5R

Mine are bald before I replace them, by that time they're about one year old. I've "heard" that
    too, but I have never experienced that issue in the last two and a half years (I'm on my 3rd
    set right now). Mind you they have all been the dh casings.

Members who have read this thread: 0