Whistler Vacation - Need trail and gear advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Whistler Vacation - Need trail and gear advice

I am going to Whistler in early June for a family vacation with my wife and an infant. I could use some advise on trails in the area and required equipment. I will be brining my 2 MTBs for us to ride. I have been mountain biking for a few years and would consider myself intermediate ability. I normally ride aggressive XC/AM trials and I have heard that the BC trails are more difficult than NorCal. Please advise on recommended trails and gear for riding in this area.

Family Rides: short 3-5 miles, pretty flat, non technical, w/ infant in bike seat.
    Recommended trails?

XC Rides: 7-10 mile loops, intermediate?
    Is XC helmet and gloves appropriate or do I need a full face helmet and pads?
    Recommended trails?

Whistler Bike Park:
    Would it be a good idea to use my GF Roscoe (5.5" trail/AM bike) and do some green and blue runs?
    Is a FF helmet and some knee / elbow pads adequate?
    Do I need to rent a DH bike and full armor?
    Which trails/runs?

Thanks,
    - JC

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Here's my two bits:

Family: Valley trail (paved) and wide crushed stone trails in Lost Lake area.

XC rides. The Zappa trails near Lost Lake are a blast. If you feel ok with those you could try something more techy like A River Runs THrough it. There are some flowy XC tails in Function Junction area south of town. Riverside, etc.

Bike Park: Save your Roscoe and rent. A full day of riding in the bike park = a season of riding wear on your bike. FF helmet and pads minimum.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Not sure if one day = a year, but it can be hard on your bike depending on what kind of trails
    you're riding. If you hit up b-line, Crank it up and fantastic and such your 5" bike w/ XC helmet would be fine (elbow and knees might be nice as you do get some speed going), but
    those trails are pretty smooth and shouldn't put much abuse on your bike.

Now if you ride really well, trails like Dirt merchant, Goats Gully, freight train, D1 or Crack addict will
    put a hurting on you and your 5" bike. In that case you'll want to rent a 8" DH bike and FF helmet
    and IMO full body armor.

Also, if you've never ridden DH, rent one anyway and start green and work your way up, it
    is a blast.

Lastly, you may want to consider getting one of the 1-2 hr guided/lesson things (I forgot
    what they're called). I've heard nothing but good things about the instructors and the program.
    It'll stop you from wasting a lot of time trying to figure it out on your own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I will check out those trials.

Right now I am leaning towards using the Roscoe and spending my money on a lesson and some pads. I don't have any desire to huck off huge jumps on double black runs. Just want to get myself and the new bike home in one piece.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

A-Line?

I keep reading that A-Line is the signature trail at the bike park.
    Do you need an 8" DH bike to ride this one or can you roll over or avoid some of the larger stunts with an AM bike?

mtbr member
    A-Line is the signature trail, but it requires some real commitment to hit the bigger jumps with the speed required to clear them. However, A-Line does not require a big bike because it is basically smooth (if well maintained). There are no gaps and casing a table top is not usually tragic. Blue velvet and Crank-it-Up are like A-Line, but the jumps are smaller. I love Crank-It-Up because I can clear all the jumps easily on my 6 AM bike.

Check out this helmet cam of Crank it Up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81VFquztb6I

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice video and thanks for the advice.
    The jumps and features on Crank It Up look plenty big to me. I am planning on getting a day lesson to get some instruction and advice on which trails to try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcholpuch
    I keep reading that A-Line is the signature trail at the bike park.
    Do you need an 8" DH bike to ride this one or can you roll over or avoid some of the larger stunts with an AM bike?

My advice would be lap Crank It Up until you can clear EVERY or almost every jump. The instructors at the park will have your techinque solid in a day if you got the loot

When jumping feels controlled then go hit Aline. I've seen alot of crashes on Aline plus the riders on Aline will be hauling a$$ around you if you're not ready. I've seen a couple of nice ones than started by a near collsion that put a rider out of rhythm then CRASH

If you're going for it don't land on the crest of landing trans. It will buck the back end of the bike and throw you over the handlebars. If the jump looks too big land way before the landing.

I've seen kids on DJ riding Aline just remember the more suspension the less techinque you need. There's a big gray area on 8 inches

One last thing there's a step down about midway down Aline. It's huge and easy to overshoot and easy to undershoot. If you're still learning slow down and land on the middle of the table. There's nothing wrong with scout out a jump or getting off to the side and watching how guys and girls ride a feature.

Good luck everyone that rides the park are pretty laid back.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    ^ Screw it, you don't even need to get your tires off the ground on Aline so go for it....[read heavy
    sarcasm].

Seriously, if you don't feel good on CIU, don't hit Aline, you might cause someone to crash bad.
    IMO the biggest things to remember at WBP is:

-If you hear someone yelling at you from behind and you hear left or right in the sentence, that's
    the direction THEY want to pass YOU. So, if you hear left go to the right and vice-versa.

-If you can't do the entry stunt, it may be over your head. That said, if you get on a trail you don't
    want to be on, just walk it and keep your ears peeled for a rider coming from behind you. Some
    places you just can't stop (like coming down the triple hump and some of the steeps on Detroit
    rock city and such).

-Not all black diamonds are the same. You might be able to do steeps, but not drops or wood.
    You might not be able to do Aline, but can do Detroit rock city, or vice versa.

*Aline: jumping is mandatory, but no steeps or wood
    *Bline: jumping is optional, all dirt
    *Crank it Up: jumping optional but makes it more fun, no wood (optional wall rides), no steeps
    *Heart of darkness: jumping optional but makes it more fun, some roots (high speed), no steeps
    *Smoke and mirrors: wood, can be slippery, not real skinny, but freaks some out.
    *Nija cougar: berms a little steeps but easy.
    *Angry pirate: Steep, tight, rocks, roots, berms, no jumping
    *Dirt Merchant: step downs/ups, jumps, berms, speed, no steeps
    *No Duff: roots, steeps, wood, no jumps
    *Old school: short wood section, not too skinny, good practice for ladders. no jumps/drops
    *FT: Aline on steroids. Lots of jumps, very fast, bigger tables
    *In deep: no jumps, but very steep, rocks and TONS of roots. Scary when wet
    *Little alder: tight, steep some roots, no jump
    *New joke: roots, rocks, steeps, wood jump (can bypass), small tables.
    *Original sin: My favorite trail...Steeps, rocks, roots, roots, rocks and steeps
    *Side track: My favorite to connect after OS and FT...jumps, pseudo-gaps, must make, lots of hips
    *Too tight: steep tight, roots
    *Fatcrobat: Roots, easy long skinny, rock face
    *Goats gully: Rocks, roots and hold on to your balls. It will eject you OTB faster than a stick in the spokes.
    *Clown Shoes: ladders, roots, and big drop at the end. You will hate life if you don't "do" skinnies.
    *Crabapple Hits: Do AP, skip out in the middle and hit CAH for a best of both worlds...warning! Big tables are big!
    *Crack addict: FUUUUUUUUCK this is what you'll be saying if it's wet. Roots, rocks, wood. No jumps
    *Detroit rock city: A bit of CA added with steep rock faces and loose shale.
    *Schleyer: Fun, fun, fun IF....you like rock drops, rock spines, wood drops and fast tight turns.
    *Captain safety: It should be named Captain dangerous. tight, roots, rocks very steep
    *D1: if you can't do the entry steep/drop/root thing, don't continue. Doubles abound with tight flowy turns.
    *Duffman: easier version of No duff

-If you're looking at a stunt before you do it, make sure your bike is out of the way and if a rider
    comes up you're out of the way long before they get there. There's nothing wrong spotting
    stunts, but some stunts need some speed, and if you're in the way that kills it for the person
    coming behind you.

-Have a good attitude and you will meet lots of great people on the lifts and in the lines. There's
    a few asshats, but they are far and few, so if you meet one, let it roll of your back.

-Stay hydrated (it's easy not to).

My first two times there, I was solo, and pretty new. It's the disneyland of biking, follow the signs
    stay within your limits and you'll have a great time.
    Last edited by kauaibullit; 05-11-2010 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Good job! Nice way to sum it all up

Hey K nice list! You forgot Drop In Clinic. Speaking of forgeting do you remeber the first time you followed somebody down that trail?

I remember looking at the sign with the two arrows pointing down than coming out of trees to the rock ride then hitting the step down right after. I think the first time you hit all that unaware is the best.

Ohh and D1 is best desrcibed in one word DON"T LOL
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    Hey K nice list! You forgot Drop In Clinic. Speaking of forgeting do you remeber the first time you followed somebody down that trail?

I remember looking at the sign with the two arrows pointing down than coming out of trees to the rock ride then hitting the step down right after. I think the first time you hit all that unaware is the best.

Ohh and D1 is best desrcibed in one word DON"T LOL
    I did D1 twice. The first time I "walked" the entrance root drop thing and did 'ok' on the rest
    casing the crap out of many a landing. The second, I did the same, but had a few that didn't
    go so well. LOL

Drop in clinic is one of my favorites. I did it on the second trip. So freaked out the first time, and
    when it was over I thought "that was easy". Now it's all about going as fast as you can and
    not land flat.

Mount Washington is starting to step things up, with the Back in black trail, but you got to
    bring your big balls, because hesitation will get you some pain, but I still like WBP best.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Looked like a fair amount of blue goove on the trail and what I'd assume was pretty hard packed trails in general.
    Any recommendation for tires for an AM rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronston
    A-Line is the signature trail, but it requires some real commitment to hit the bigger jumps with the speed required to clear them. However, A-Line does not require a big bike because it is basically smooth (if well maintained). There are no gaps and casing a table top is not usually tragic. Blue velvet and Crank-it-Up are like A-Line, but the jumps are smaller. I love Crank-It-Up because I can clear all the jumps easily on my 6 AM bike.

Check out this helmet cam of Crank it Up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81VFquztb6I
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    If you got money, Maxxi minions work great.
    I'm cheap and use Nevegals, they seem to work pretty damn good at WBP for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0