Whistler trip...Squamish and Pemberton side trips?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Whistler trip...Squamish and Pemberton side trips?

I have four days in whistler coming up this Thursday-Sunday. Iíve rented a DH bike and am planning on a lot of park riding (maybe even getting a few hours of lessons). Iím also bringing my Kona Process to do some trail rides in the mornings before the park opens. Is it ďworthĒ the time sacrificed from the park in travel to check out some Squamish and/or Pemberton rides, or is the riding there pretty similar to Whistler valley trails? I guess I would qualify as advanced tech skills for US (one of my faves at Galbraith was Irish Death, for example, minus the stump jump which i did not attempt) and maybe upper intermediate for jumps and drops/flow stuff, but would like to progress, especially on jumping. (Currently pretty comfortable doing trails like Voodoo Daddy, HLC, and Gravy Train at Duthie Hill).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Park opens at 10am. IMO I'd save any trail rides until after riding the park that day. Could always get one of the many riding areas in the evening.

You could always hit up Squamish or Pemberton on your way up or out of Whistler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Bro, if you only ride park, then no, it's not worth it. If you're a tech trail rider, do it! it's nothing like the Whistler valley trails. There is of course the flow Nelson/Half Nelson trails that everyone first recommends in Squamish. Me and my crew prefer the other trails. It's wetter and more foresty and jungly than Whistler. The rocks aren't as chunky and sharp edged. Stop by Tantalus Bike shop in SQuamish, buy the SORCO membership, get the trail map. We like Ruperts. The guys on Tantalus gave us a great loop route that was pretty epic. Involved Ruperts, 50 shades of green, and bunch of others that makes three loops.
    This year we hope to check out Pemberton.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I spend a lot of time riding in Squamish, Whistler in Pemberton. I rarely ride the bike park.

The trails that you pedal to in those area are unbelievably good. The bike park is, well it is a bike park. If you like berms and jumps then you will love it, if single track is your thing and you have decent fitness then do some pedalling.

Quick summary:
    Whister valley trails are technical. The descents are steep and committed. When they are rated black, they mean it. On the right bike, with decent tires they are not crazy hard, just intimidating if you are new to steep slabs and steep lines. The climbs are also absolutely punishing. Whister does many things well, building climbing trails is not one of them. Bring fitness and easy gears.

Squamish has one of biggest and most varied single track net-works in the world. It has everything from flowy single track to super steep double black trails. Two main riding areas, Alice lake and the University. Alice lake, has a little less vertical but lots of techy descents. Trails like Rupert, L.O.A. and credit line are great warm-ups before trying some harder stuff. The University trails have a lot more vertical. The most popular trail is Full-Nelson, but it is just berms and jumps. My favorites are Angry midget and somewhere out there.

Pemby has a great mix of trails. Absolutely huge single track climbs, the longest one takes a good XC racer 2hrs at race pace. It also has some steepest most terrifying descents I have ever ridden. Any trail that is marked double black is rediculously steep and unless you are shuttling not worth the loss in vertical. But their blue and black descents are ridiculously fun descents.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nice! Thanks! I definitely ride more tech and earn my turns much more than park. Still trying to progress my skills in both, but a lot better with tech currently. Hoping to check out maybe comfortably numb descent plus lost lake trails and maybe microclimate (if it doesnít rain too much) and or dark crystal...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Nice! Thanks! I definitely ride more tech and earn my turns much more than park. Still trying to progress my skills in both, but a lot better with tech currently. Hoping to check out maybe comfortably numb descent plus lost lake trails and maybe microclimate (if it doesnít rain too much) and or dark crystal...
    Keep updated on trailforks conditions, dark crystal is a no go due to construction blasting near the top

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Cool thanks...did the yummy, foreplay, lost lake blues back to village ride this morning....really nice contrast to the park