Whistler trail riding after rain- Mtbr.com
    Cynical Chump

Whistler trail riding after rain

Hey Whistler locals - I'm in Whistler for several days, arrived yesterday. With the fairly heavy rain today, I'm wondering what the best (non-bike-park) trails are right after a rain. I want to avoid messing up the trails, of course, but also want to avoid trails that go from challenging to batsh!t when wet.

For reference, I'm from California, but have ridden in Squamish a few times, and just finished some riding on the Island (Cumberland and Nanaimo). I'm comfortable (when it's dry) with single black trails in Squamish, but not double blacks. Pretty steep is OK, but woodwork with exposure is not my strong suit. Kill Me Thrill Me is on my list, but I have no idea what it's like when wet.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions!

mtbr member
    There's actually not a ton of trails that get messed up from being ridden wet, really just the higher blackcomb trails (dark crystal, microclimate). There are some that become harder though.

Kill me thrill me is fine wet, not the best trail but still good. Can add 'Out There' if you're riding out that end of town. If you like techy up/down like kill me thrill me, doing the yummy nummy/fore play part of comfortably numb is sweet.

For mellower (but still fun) trails to ride in the wet, lost lake zappa trails are good. Cut yer bars area is all good, can add some harder options on 'roll yer bones'. The lower west side stuff is all good, you can make a good zigzagging loop of those from south to north doing lower sproatt/peice of cake/a la mode/3birds/middle danimal/up stone bridge dr/lower sproatt/ down 99er/up stone bridge again/danimal North or beaver pass (there's one big rock roll on beaver pass at the end of the clear cut, gets slick but there's a go around) /up whip me snip me/lower bintys (there's 1 steep chute thing that has a go around on bintys)

For a harder but still rides well wet; of the cheakamus ones, highside/hi hi/business time/ampm. And the trails above alpine Meadows ; howler and Billy epic. Howlers probably my favourite wet ride, tough climb up though.

Cynical Chump
    Thanks for the great info!

mtbr member
    Yea no problem. Another idea is to check out the trails in Pemberton. Majority of the trails ride better when wet and dry out quickly.

Cynical Chump
    Oh yeah, need to sneak in some time in Pemby too.

FYI, I rode Cheakamus/Business Time yesterday, and your west side route today. Both terrific. Loved Bus Time, 3 Birds and 99er.