Whistler Outerbike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Whistler Outerbike

I thought outerbike would be a great time to go check out next year's bikes with my son. Then I saw that there's an entry fee. And it's $220. So $440 plus tax for two of us. So basically it's the same thing as all the crankworx tents which are free, only you have to pay. A lot. And sure you get to ride some bikes. But when I demo a bike through a shop I don't pay anything. And when I bought our last car, every brand we tried was very happy to have us get behind the wheel of every one of their cars on the lot to entice our business. But outerbike charges $220. You do get some powdered eggs from the Longhorn though.

Feels kind of like banks charging people service fees to take their money, invest it, and keep the profits.

ups and downs
    I was hoping they had a $20 day pass that just got you into the trade show tents and skipped the bike park demos, parties, free beer and breakfasts. I bet the promoter will be surprised how few people will pay that kind of money for a Crankwork sort of experience they can get for free 2 months later.

They have the locals pass if you don't need bike park lift pass for $120/person, but even crazier, they have a $100 "social pass" if you want a 4 day pass into the exhibit tents and you want the parties, free beer and breakfast too, but don't want to demo a bike.

Fundamentally, with those pass costs, you're paying a stack of money for free beer and free food. You'd be hard pressed t spend $100 a day on beer and brekkie.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 05-30-2015 at 08:53 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Makes sense to me... Renting a high end bike can be like 100 a day and of course food drinks guiding can add up too. Probably fun for the right person. All the major bike brands have demo days every weekend lately I think devinci is doing it in Whistler soon.