Whistler in June/July.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Whistler in June/July.

My wife and I are planning on a trip to Whistler in June/July of '09. We were planning on doing a week and a half of a guided tour with Ticket 2 Ride BC. Anyone have any experience with them? Or any other guided tour guides?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Personally I would hire whistlerbikeguide for tours.
    They are a very reputable company I can personally reccomend.

What type of riding do you enjoy?

All the trails in whistler are accessible just by riding right from the village. But beware that all of our trails are more difficult than trails of the same rating elsewhere

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Do a search on www.nsmb.com (north shore mountain biking dot com) tour guides have
    been discussed there quite a few times.

There's no app for this.

June can be

rainy and cold, I'd aim for the end of June/early July - just for the weather. OTOH, it can also get hot and dusty. Don't forget, Whistler's in a temperate rain forest, so wet happens.

Historically: June is 48F at night and 70F daytime. but hey, the weather's been a little erratic everywhere the last few years.

good luck, Jim
    Last edited by JimC.; 03-05-2009 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I agree with Jim C

After living here for 20 years, I have learned that the 'driest' weather occurs from July 15-September 15. We can have great weather before July 15 and crappy weather in mid summer, but July 15 is the most reliable 'beginning of summer'.

Sorry, no feedback on Ticket2Ride other than I did notice that their house had vacancies several times last year (likley just due to bad economy).

Good luck

mtbr member
    How busy is Whistler the week before and the week after Crankworx? Are there any restrictions on trails the week before as they start to prepare? Thinking of a trip this summer and any info anyone can provide regarding these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Well, the first year I went to WBP I went the week before till the week after. It sure got crowded
    in the weekend of CW. I rode for about two runs on the Saturday and gave up and didn't ride
    on the Sunday of CW. The trails got pounded and there were some monster brake ruts. Bring
    lots of suspension with you, and a lot of patience if you want to ride during the event.

That said, it was really cool watching the guy hucking the **** out of stuff that I'd be scared
    to walk on. And having all the reps there was kind of cool. Lots of cool parties at the bars, etc.

The week after CW was the best for me, as the crowd thinned way down. I'm glad I went
    during CW but I'll never go again. Keep in mind though that Garbo wasn't very mature back
    then and I wasn't really ready for anything other than Freight Train. Now, if I went during
    I'd just do the top all day (lots to do up there if you like "the gnar").

You'll have fun as long as you're not looking to do as many laps in a day as you can.

There's no app for this.

thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    How busy is Whistler the week before and the week after Crankworx? Are there any restrictions on trails the week before as they start to prepare? Thinking of a trip this summer and any info anyone can provide regarding these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Crankworx is too busy to ride, you'll spend your time standing in line. We typically ride XC or chill during that time. Before and after are fine though.

Last few years they do close some trails, but some of the closures were due to massive pipe upgrades to enhance winter snow making for the Olympic$, and that's complete now. Trails also close for racing, like the top to bottom race one day. Yes, it can be frustrating.

Jim

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    Crankworx is too busy to ride. We typically ride XC or chill during that time. Before and after are fine though.
    I second what Jim said. The bike park is not worth doing during Crankworx. There's lots of other great riding in Whistler, Pemberton and Squamish to keep you occupied for many days.

Members who have read this thread: 0