Whistler Or Golden, Kicking Horse and Fernie- Mtbr.com
    Happy Mojo Rider

Whistler Or Golden, Kicking Horse and Fernie

My friends and I would like to come out west to do some Mountain Biking and we have two decisions to make, we can either fly into Calgary and rent a truck and go to Fernie, Golden and Kicking Horse OR we can fly into Vancouver and just spend 4-5 days in Whistler. First off we will be doing mostly XC riding but we want to try some downhill trails. We're bringing our own bikes which are 5.5 inch travel bikes so no worries there. What do you suggest, should we just stay in Whistler or go from Calgary and I forgot to mention we are from Ontario so we have never been out west to ride. Open to all suggestions so fire away. BTW I already ordered the book Mountain Biking In Whistler so I'm just waiting for that to come.
    Ted

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would choose interior BC. You get to see more stuff, the drive is just breathtaking, you can also stop at the Bugaboos and go for a day hike. But 4-5 days its just too short for all that, you will need at least a week.

Happy Mojo Rider
    By interior Bc do you mean Fernie and so on like the east side of BC? I think i could handle going for a week.

Off the back...
    +1 on Golden/Fernie. You may also want to hit up Rossland and Nelson. They're a bit farther down Hwy 3, but very worth it. Also, you'll want a week to really sample what the area has to offer.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Your 5.5 bikes will get pretty punished by the Bike Park if you do lots of days. But they will work.

Hobbes is right, you need probably a couple of weeks to check out the BC interior (ie east side of BC).

If I were you I would just spend your week in one place rather then driving around then just checking out that one place using a central location as base camp. That central location could either be Whistler or Golden/Kicking Horse.

Be aware that the KH bike park and golden itself has a lot less to do for activities (other then biking) then Whistler.

Pinkrobe's idea is also sound but it takes the best part of the day to drive from Cgy to Rossland/Nelson. It'll eat up a lot of time
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Rossland and Nelson definately have some great riding, but its 7 hours from Calgary.

First thing you have to decide between is checking out a few places and always riding new trails or getting to reride a few. I've never been to Whistler, just too much good riding on the way there to make it that far... Personally Fernie is my favorite place to ride, check out the trail map

http://www.bikefernie.ca/trails/fern...ntain-bike-map

All of that you can easily ride without driving, and its all good. I find Golden either too DH (Mount 7) or too XC(Moonraker), I havn't had alot o luck finding stuff thats just right...

But don't forget about the Canmore area. There is the Nordic Center, Highline, Stoney Squaw & Miniwanka in Banff, Jumping Pound/Cox Hill, Prairie View/Jewel Pass in Kananaskis... Lots to ride there and the party / Restaurants in Banff/Canmore.

mtbr member
    Anyone taking advice from LeeL should look up a picture of his legs before they make a decision....

You can survive the bike park on an XC/AM bike, but it's not a good idea. It's not the travel, it's how you set the bike up. I sometimes take my hardtail to Whistler, but then again it has 2.5" DH tires and weighs around 35 lbs. A nice light bike with skinny tires is a big no no in the park.

For the days that you want to try downhilling, do it right and rent the best possible DH bike they have. You sound like someone who is into trying a new experience, so my advice is to make it the best possible experience it can be. Put another way, you wouldn't take cross country skiis up the gondola at Lake Louise, would you?

That being said, with only 4-5 days for your holiday I'd suggest setting up in one place and riding the snot out of it instead of trying to drive around a lot. Whistler is fun, Fernie is another good place, and there's always my home base of the Okanagan if you want to entertain the idea of endless singltrack, sandy beaches, wineries, bikinis, etc., etc.,

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I second the DH bike for Kicking Horse. I use my 6" bike at Fernie, Mount 7, Pano and Sun Peaks all the time, but have heard that the big bike is neccessary for KH. The Moonrakers have some good XC and so does Revelstoke.

Happy Mojo Rider
    Thanks for all the help I think renting a DH rig is a smart way to go if we are doing some DH trails so I won't take my Mojo down those trails. Okanagan sounds really good for a home base I will look into that further. Thanks again and keep the opinions coming I'm taking them all in.
    Ted

Happy Mojo Rider
    Sorry double post
    Last edited by NewbieTed; 06-02-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Off the back...
    Yah, Rossland/Nelson are 7 hours from Calgary, but Fernie is on the way. Drive 3 hours to Fernie, ride for a bit, continue on to Nelson and/or Rossland, ride for a bit, then you can drive straight back to Calgary or make stops along Hwy 3 as you like. Our crew usually gets out to Fernie on the long weekends in the summer, and we have plenty to ride for 3 days without getting a lift ticket.

+1 on renting a bike for the lift-accessed stuff. I've done it on 3" and 4" travel bikes and I wish I had paid for a big bike + armour.

Another +1 on riding the Kananaskis area just west of Calgary. There's shuttlin' on Moose Mountain + plenty of XC loops [Hwy 66], good rides off of Hwy 40, lots of stuff around Canmore, and you can still sneak off for a day of riding in Golden or Fernie. There's also Swansea and Panorama...

Damn, that's a lot of riding!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    As said by others....Depending on time of year, Canmore and Kananaskis for xc. Fernie for DH. Scenery and variety! Keep the driving to a minimum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieTed
    ...Okanagan sounds really good for a home base I will look into that further...
    Ted
    Some links for your research....

http://mtbco.ca
    http://okcycling.com/
    http://www.bikepenticton.com/
    http://www.skisilverstar.com/highband.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker
    As said by others....Depending on time of year, Canmore and Kananaskis for xc. Fernie for DH. Scenery and variety! Keep the driving to a minimum.
    Fernie is more 'xc' (really 'am' if a label is needed) than DH, an Ibis is a perfect bike for this area. There are DHish trails you can shuttle but pretty much all the trails you can ride to (easily from town - no need to drive to trailheads here) involve riding up, I ride my 4.5" Pyre for 85% of the trails.

mtbr member
    K, here's a more concrete route, given your time and bikes. It sounds like you're an AM crowd, wanting to dab into the DH realm. I ride a Moj for AM and have a big bike for gnarly trails. And LOVE road trips. Here's how I would do it:

Day 1 - Land in Calgary, rent truck or van, drive straight to Golden. It's a 2.5 hour drive. Rest.

Day 2
    - Ride Mount 7 in the AM (you can do it on the Moj, but slower). Ride The Moonraker in the aft - this is an XC network, and it's just DELICIOUS.

Day 3 - You're warmed up, get ready to hang with the big boyz. RENT (a must) a big bike in Kicking Horse and ride the park. The Mojo will get chewed up and spit out. If you're still walking, you can finish the day driving the 50 minutes to Radium (we usually drive back to Cgy... ). Get a room at the swiss-like motels and go hit the hot springs - your legs will LOVE you.

Day 4 - Wake up, bright and early, drive to Invermere (15 minutes) and ride Mount Swansea. It's mainly a DH hill, but totally doable on the Mojo. Super sweet singletrack.

From here you have 2 options: pack it in and head back to Calgary, or add 2 more days to the trip:

At the end of Day 4 (early afternoon) the freshest guy needs to start driving to Rossland. It's a 4 hour drive from Invermere. Beautiful drive.

Day 5 - Wake up and get ready to be FLOORED. You're riding the Seven Summits. As far as views, trail flow, climbing and descending, this is one of the best trails in North America. Amazing. Make sure you get some pizza in Rossland (forgot the name of the place... but I think it's the only one) and celebrate with some beers.

Day 6 - Drive back to Calgary - It's a 7 hour drive and you'll have LOTS to talk about.

(you'll be passing through Fernie on your way back... so here's another one...)

Day 7 - Wake up early and drive to Fernie (4 hours). Ride the trails around town. Don't bother with the bike park, it's nothing to write home about. The other trails are better.
    At the end of the day you can drive the 2.5-3 hours to Calgary and crash - fly home the next day.

This is just ONE of the options...

Another option: fly into Kelowna and TRY to explore the Interior BC: Kelowna, Kamloops, Vernon... amazing trails. And you can do a day or two at Silverstar (from Vernon), which, in my opinion is one of the best bike parks in the world. Think of a smaller scale Whistler, but no line-ups. It's so, so good.

Another option: from Golden, drive west to Revelstoke (1.5 hours), instead of south to Radium/Invermere and ride that. Then come back to Calgary and spend the last day at Moose/Bragg Creek. LOTS of world class XC and really good DH.

Another option: Fly into Vancouver and ride Whistler and Squamish. The XC trails are epic, but you'll need to rent for the Park.

Whew. See? That's the advantage of living in Calgary - if you start reading top to bottom, I just described how my summer is gonna be like...

P.S.: Didn't elaborate on any details/logistics regarding HOW and WHERE you ride/find the trails (you need shuttles for Mount 7, Swansea, get a shuttle for Seven Summits... etc.). Just ask about what interests you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Happy Mojo Rider
    I think that because we only have 4-5 days and want to get in as much riding as possible Whistler is the winner. I want to thank everyone for all the info I appreciate it. Now is there a better way to get there from Vancouver or is renting a truck the only way?
    Ted

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieTed
    I think that because we only have 4-5 days and want to get in as much riding as possible Whistler is the winner. I want to thank everyone for all the info I appreciate it. Now is there a better way to get there from Vancouver or is renting a truck the only way?
    Ted
    Renting a vehicle is the only practical way to get there on your schedule instead of waiting around to fit a bus or shuttle schedule. Too bad the passenger rail service from North Van got dumped by CNR.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Happy Mojo Rider
    Now I'm thinking of heading there in August, if it happens to be when Crankworx is on will Whistler be a total gong show and I mean will it be packed and will trails be closed. Should I go after it's over?
    Ted

mtbr member
    Don't go to Whistler during Crankworx if you actually want to ride. It's way too busy. going after is way smarter. Try to hit Whistler mid-week, and go hit the off-piste on any weekend days.

If you're going at high summer, check out Squamish or the Shore. If for some strange reason it gets cool and wet while you're out, head up to Pemberton.

Members who have read this thread: 1