Whistler fire: Any affect to the riding? 7/31/09- Mtbr.com
    Let's ride

Whistler fire: Any affect to the riding? 7/31/09

I saw a couple days ago that a fire broke out in Whistler. I know nothing about the area, so sorry for the basic question of whether or not it will affect any of the riding? Smoke issues, trail damage, or park closure? We're headed up on the 15th Aug, so I'm just trying to plan.

TIA

ups and downs
    This was posted on the Whistler website

July 31, 2009 - Adjusted Operations
    Whistler Mountain is OPEN today for sightseeing, hiking & mountain biking. The PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola will depart from Whistler Mountain with no off-loading on Blackcomb due to a fire in the Crystal Zone on Blackcomb.

If it gets hot again with the lightning storms anything could happen
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just got back. The thunder/lightning in the afternoon really screwed up both days for us. All lifts will shut down at the first sign of lightning. One cracked real close to village and when we turned saw a slim column of smoke rising up from Blackholm side. Wind was blowing away from village and it grew fast!!! Tankers and heli's till dark. Rain came in and really slowed the thing down. They downsized the area burned from first projections. Looks like everything is still open and fire is getting contained and knocked down. Good times non-the-less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The fire is basically contained and nowhere near any bike riding (on Blackcomb & a few kilometers from Comfortably Numb & a kilometer or so from Hey Bud). Although some new 'glades' have opened up for skiing.

Members who have read this thread: 0