Whistler: Dos and Donts for 1st timer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Whistler: Dos and Donts for 1st timer?

heading out there for labor day weekend (aug 29- sept 2)

wondering if there's any advice or things i should take into consideration

ill be traveling alone, already have lodging, have a DH bike rental for 3 days, have a ticket to top of the world

intermediate rider, not comfy with big jumps though not entirely scared to get the bike off the ground

thinking of tackling as many blue trails as possible on friday, i have top of the world saturday and sunday is a free for all

any rec's on what type of trail progression, or order to tackle them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have never ridden there, so this comment is based mostly on videos I have seen but to me I would say do not under estimate the difficulty of the trails. If you are not comfortable on blacks then stay off of them as it seems like there are lots of folks there who are not afraid to ride hard

Your plan to progress seems reasonable. Id try and get the progression in before lunch as that is when I feel the most perky. After eating I feel lethargic.

When at a bike park I always feel it is best to stop one run short of what you think your last run is to be sure you have the energy and mental capacity to make good decisions while riding.

I will be interested to see what others who have ridden there say
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f0nz0 View Post
    heading out there for labor day weekend (aug 29- sept 2)

wondering if there's any advice or things i should take into consideration

ill be traveling alone, already have lodging, have a DH bike rental for 3 days, have a ticket to top of the world

intermediate rider, not comfy with big jumps though not entirely scared to get the bike off the ground

thinking of tackling as many blue trails as possible on friday, i have top of the world saturday and sunday is a free for all

any rec's on what type of trail progression, or order to tackle them?
    after just finishing my first week there your plan seems good. however, id %100 recommend a guide if possible or even better an instructor. me and a mate shared a private for a day and it was the best investment in our riding we have done. he selected runs for me - light double blacks and - light blacks for my mate - and just fixed up our technique. it was amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    What does something like that run in US dollars and where do you go to find one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Mcgoo View Post
    What does something like that run in US dollars and where do you go to find one?
    https://lmgtfy.com/?q=whistler+mountain+bike+guide

depends on what your after though. we rode for 5 days straight and barely scratched the surface. our bike lesson was our best day for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    You will probably be fine on the blue jump trails, start with B-Line then Crank it Up then Crank it Up More. Give Blue Velvet a shot but the brake bumps are brutal, really only worth it to ride Garbo if you aren't up to the blacks/double black tech. The trail map on Whistler Bike Park website has a progression of both jump and tech trails that is pretty accurate IMO.

Everything is very well built in Whistler so you won't be surprised by janky jumps or mandatory drops on blue trails for example.

Top of the World is a great experience. The very first section of trail is the hardest/most intimidating due to narrow rockwork and punishing terrain if you fall. If you have to walk the first few corners don't be intimidated, the rest of the trail after the first road crossing is a blue IMO.

Instructors/coaches from WBP or outfits like Zep are awesome and money well spent. Group lessons are OK as long as similar skills are together. The instructors are generally really good, way better value than ski lessons where the instructor hasn't got a clue and just arrived in Whistler 2 months ago.

Have fun.