Whistler BP, TOTW Ride Time/Laps, etc.- Mtbr.com
    The Riddler

Whistler BP, TOTW Ride Time/Laps, etc.

Planning a first visit to BC and I'm currently scheduling an afternoon the bike park. I only do a few park days a year, don't do a lot of jumping (on man-made features), and enjoy riding uphill, SO i think one long afternoon should be plenty.
    Just curious how much time I need to allot for two runs on TOTW. 3-4 hrs enough? Also, is it worth doing a different line on the second run? It seems from what I've read that TOTW is worth doing twice and maybe varying a line towards the middle/bottom is the way to go.

Lastly, how far in advance to buy tickets? Not sure if we'll be there on the weekend yet, but if we are, I want to make sure I'm well ahead of needing to worry about that.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Lots of planning haha.

I think I posted this before but lots of people say they don't ride bike parks and aren't interested in spending much time in the Whistler bike park, but this is the best bike park in the world and it's a lot of fun, lots of variety, don't count it out. Signing up for some kind of program and learning to jump/corner/shred could add a lot to the experience you can learn a lot in WBP because you can ride so much.

TOTW takes a while, a lap back in to the normal part is pretty quick, most people take their time with breaks/photo ops etc but if you're super keen to knock things off quickly you could definitely ride totw to normal bike park then go back up for another lap to do totw to Khyber pass or something. Although I'm not sure it's worth doing twice since you're riding 2/3s of it to the split to Khyber pass anyways.

The two main 'backcountry' routes off totw are Khyber pass and ride don't slide, Khyber pass being the 'little bike' route as it has climbing and RDS being the 'big bike' route since it doesn't. From Khyber you have two choices after, ride it right out to the end then hit Babylon (then more choices after that) or the now popular route Khyber-middle of nowhere - Kashmir-Kush-bc's (although going across to heavy flow-tunnel vision at the end would be fun too). That route has some really steep difficult sections but lots of people tend to get through it one way or another, if it looks tough swallow your pride and walk around as you're pretty remote most of the way through there.

Tickets I think you're fine to buy them a few days before, you seem like quite the planner so do it whenever you've figured out the days you want to ride.

I live in Whistler and work as a mountain bike guide all summer so should know a thing or two ask away if you want to know anymore.
    Last edited by kevin267; 03-27-2017 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    time goes by so fast at WBP, you could easily spend a whole day there without getting bored or much repetition without hitting a sinlge jump trail.

The Riddler
    haha, trying to get all of my ducks in a row before getting slammed at work for five months. last question on bike at the park:

let's say i'm only doing one afternoon for a couple laps on TOTW (i'll have time to do more if i'm blown away). i'm bringing my SC 5010 for trail rides in Squam, Whistler, and Pemberton. Typically ride it a bit above its pay grade (i like to think).

curious if should plan on renting, for the TOTW day however. both to save the 5010 from getting smashed for a few hours and to enjoy a bigger rig. i think a bigger enduro bike is plenty for TOTW, from the looks of it. any rental spot suggestions? i did read a bunch of postings already, but it seems neither the summit or fanatik bike shop rent enduros or allow them in the park if they do. should i stick with the bike park rentals?

mtbr member
    The bike park will rent gt sanctions but a dh bike is nice up there too

i like rocks
    If I remember correctly, don't they only do one TOTW pass per day?

love that trail, it would be rad if you could do two laps. slower/breaks/photos first time and then just rip it the second time.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

The Riddler
    Have decided a full-day at the park is a necessary part of this trip! Planning to rent a Slayer from Coastal Culture. Last question is I can probably schedule this Saturday-Sunday-Monday-Tuesday. Will be less fresh later into those days after 5+ days of 3-4hr XC/enduro days.

Are weekend days as stupid crazy as one would think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    Have decided a full-day at the park is a necessary part of this trip! Planning to rent a Slayer from Coastal Culture. Last question is I can probably schedule this Saturday-Sunday-Monday-Tuesday. Will be less fresh later into those days after 5+ days of 3-4hr XC/enduro days.

Are weekend days as stupid crazy as one would think?
    Lately they haven't been too bad. There's a chance that this Saturday will be much busier than this Sunday due to Ironman, with the road closures people driving to town would choose to ride Saturday instead of Sunday.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk