Whistler Bike Rental- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Whistler Bike Rental

Any recommendations on Bike Rental in Whistler? Should I reserve a bike in advance? Iíll be there for 7 days early in August. It looks like the Bike Park rents a fleet of Kona Joyrides but Iím concerned that they might be in bad shape due to overuse?

Iíve never been to Whistler, nor am I experienced at Downhill but want to learn. Ay help on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Jan 2004

joyride fleet

The bikes the mountain rents do see alot of miles, but they get checked out every night and are maintained really well. In the fall the rigs are sold and a buddy of mine has bought 2. There are a couple other stores in the area (Fanatik is one) but I don't know for sure if they rent. The nice thing about the park bikes is that they are set up for that kind of riding. And if you have a problem, you can always trade it in. The shop is right at the bottom of the hill.

Check out their guided trips and lessons - well worth the extra $ if you're pretty new to DH.

Have fun!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fanatik does rent bike well at least they use to. I rented one from them a few years ago. It held together for the day and the rental cost was cheeper then Whistler.

As DrLeah mentioned we have a friend who has owned two of thier old rentals and has been very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the information.

I plan on bringing my xc/trail bike too (Ventana Pantera) to ride the valley trails.

Iím hoping to get a few XC rides in during my visit, preferably in a remote wilderness setting. Can you recommend any epic xc trails within 2 hours drive of Whistler. Weíre also staying in Vancouver for 2 nights.

Thanks!

Apr 2004

Try Comfortably Numb

If you're looking for an epic xc trail I'd recommend Comfortably Numb, which is actually in the Whistler area. It's relatively new (finished sometime last fall) and is over 20km long.

As for your question about bike rentals, there seems to be countless stores in town that do it. In addition to the Whistler/Blackcomb shop, there is also Fanatik Co, Whistler Bike Co, Summit, and others.

Apr 2004

Yeah, baby!

My experiences with Whistler riding are from a couple of years ago. The rentals are the way to go because you will beat the [email protected] out of your bike. We camped at the Riverside camp grounds and they had some nice rentals that didn't get as much use and a little cheaper. A SC Bullet comes to mind. I don't know how much rentals are now I've heard they went up a bit.
    Don't worry about downhill experience. They have well marked trails. Start out on a green like B-line, which is still a blast. Then work your way up to blues then blacks like A-line.
    As far as XC the area surrounding Lost Lake has a bunch of trails and there are maps for tons more. Then after a hot day of riding you can go cool off at the nudy dock on the lake. Mass fine Canadian babes
    Oh yeah, watch out for bears, they are everywhere. Mostly they will leave you alone but I wouldn't want to run into one flying down a trail.
    Whistler is the premier adult place to hang in N America bar none!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My friend got a 2-day rental on a Banshee Scream with the new 888r fork for $175CAN from Summit Bike located next to the lift. What a great deal!! Those are $3500 bikes. Do B-line a couple of times then hit Dirt Merchant on to A-line then to Hornet. Super fun run!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Killer!

Thanks for the additional info. Now the big problem is waiting another 2 months for the trip to happen. I can't wait! My wife is sick of hearing me talk about it.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Squamish & Pemberton have the XC rides you are looking for. Both are less than an hour drive from Whistler.

Flyin Canine
    The bike parks bikes we rented last year where a little beat up. Squeally disks, lots of knocks and squeeks and they don't take the time to change the springs for you or tune the fronk forks or anything. I looked and the price per day is $99can so I would compare to the other shops around the village and see if you can do better.

For the nearby trail info check out the mtbr trail review section. There are hundreds of trails within 40 min of whistler. I rode two trails in squamish and one in pemberton last year and they were both fun but none of the "xc" trails are easy except maybe the ones by lost lake. Be prepared for rock and roots like you've never seen anywhere else. The trails I went on in the whistler valley were very rugged.

whsitler valley trail info:
    http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/

mountain biker

I was there four days ago...

and rented a bike from Intrawest... It was brand new, so everything was working fine but... I wasn't overly impressed with the feel of the bike. plus it was pretty expensive: $100 for four hours (no full day rental). While riding on the chair with someone, they mentionned to me that they had rented a Cove Peeler from Cove Bike Shop (in Deep Cove, a suburb of Vancouver at the foot of Seymour mountain) for a steal, it was something like $150 for two days, which is almost half what Whistler charges. And Cove's bikes are built for the area... The down side is you'll have to haul the bike from Vancouver to Whislter, not a problem if you've got a rack or a van...

As for the trails to ride, the others a right: it was my first time and I did a couple of runs on b-line, then hit a-line (should have done Dirt Merchant first) then hit Joyride and Schleyer... I wouldn't recommend Hornet unless you're comfortable on ladders and bridges and tight steep riding in the woods.

It was a really good time, I wish I could go more often... too bad it's almost a continent away...

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip no matter what you do!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink

As for the trails to ride, the others a right: it was my first time and I did a couple of runs on b-line, then hit a-line (should have done Dirt Merchant first) then hit Joyride and Schleyer... I wouldn't recommend Hornet unless you're comfortable on ladders and bridges and tight steep riding in the woods.
    I took my VT. The VT went ok - but I needed heavier duty wheels and tyres, and copped a heap of flats.

Also managed to do some carnage to my body on Dirt Wrenching? I did not see a largish step down until too late cause I was reading a warning sign about a gap. I thought a gap jump in my head and endoed in spectacular fashion. Ended up with a tear in my Ac joint, broken rib, broken bone in my wrist and sore calf.

So be careful if it ain't your normal style of riding. And get all the armour you can!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Just got back...

from Whistler and had a blast...my wife and I rented from the mountain and the Kona bikes worked out pretty well...they are built specifically for the bike park and pretty pimped out...and if something goes wrong you can get it fixed right at the bottom of thehill...but the best part is that for the same price of bike rental with full pads and lift ticket (~$150 CND 1/2 day and $200 full day) you can choose to get a guide...ours worked out great (Jason), especially as we didn't have any freeride/downhill experience...he ended up being just as much of a freeride coach as a guide...by the end of the day were taking drops with no problem and riding trails that we otherwise wouldn't have even attempted...also if you are riding on the weekend you get to skip to the front of the lift line...definitely a nice perk when the line is 20-30 minutes long...we ride trails 2-3 days a week but freeride skills are just a completely different thing...I'd definitely recommend going this way for a day to work on skills and get comfortable riding in an a completely different environment...

Mr. K

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You can save up to 10% on mountain bike rentals in Whistler by booking with Whistler Outfitters. They offer discounts on the best bikes for all abilities including Rocky Mountain and Trek Whistler Mountain Bike Rentals Discount for the Whistler Bike Park