mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Where for best singletrack?

Hi,
    We are spending a July and August in Canada. August we are spending in Whistler. The other 5 weeks we are hiring a car and travelling around Alberta and BC. The type of riding we like best is flowing singletrack. We are not into North Shore style riding or jumps etc. Bearing this in mind where would be the best places to visit?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    Hi,
    We are spending a July and August in Canada. August we are spending in Whistler. The other 5 weeks we are hiring a car and travelling around Alberta and BC. The type of riding we like best is flowing singletrack. We are not into North Shore style riding or jumps etc. Bearing this in mind where would be the best places to visit?

Thanks
    Susie, I'm no expert on available singletrack but you'll get some in Whistler itself and Squamish. Canmore, Alberta has a lot of good singletrack.

Also check out some websites like www.trailpeak.com and www.pinkbike.com, which has a lot of Alberta content.

Just roll it......

What about central BC?

Hi Susie,

You'll be able to ride GREAT (some of the best, imo) singletrack riding in and around the Whistler area, but it's not exactly what I'd call "flowy". While there are absolutely some flowy stretches to most trails in that area, most will be pretty technically challenging with lots of tough climbs and descents. There's a reason that area produces some of the best riders in the world....it's kind of like the big apple, "if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere".

If you head inland to areas like Kamloops, Keleowna, Revelstoke, Nelson, etc. you'll find more of what you're looking for... Those areas are more 'high desert' and usually have more flowy stretches of trail than those in the coast range. Don't shy away from those areas just because they have a FR image, there's a ton of XC in those areas. I'd also recommend contacting the local shops (like the Bicycle Cafe in Kamloops) and Chuck Brennan at Kamloops Bike Camp. He just leased 6,000 acres from the Shuswap Indian Tribe and is going to have all kinds of riding out there - FR, XC, etc.

http://www.kamloopsbikecamp.com/

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Hi Susie,

You'll be able to ride GREAT (some of the best, imo) singletrack riding in and around the Whistler area, but it's not exactly what I'd call "flowy". While there are absolutely some flowy stretches to most trails in that area, most will be pretty technically challenging with lots of tough climbs and descents. There's a reason that area produces some of the best riders in the world....it's kind of like the big apple, "if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere".

If you head inland to areas like Kamloops, Keleowna, Revelstoke, Nelson, etc. you'll find more of what you're looking for... Those areas are more 'high desert' and usually have more flowy stretches of trail than those in the coast range. Don't shy away from those areas just because they have a FR image, there's a ton of XC in those areas. I'd also recommend contacting the local shops (like the Bicycle Cafe in Kamloops) and Chuck Brennan at Kamloops Bike Camp. He just leased 6,000 acres from the Shuswap Indian Tribe and is going to have all kinds of riding out there - FR, XC, etc.

http://www.kamloopsbikecamp.com/

Cheers,
    EB
    Hey EB - I can't get that link to work. Sounds pretty interesting - is KBC going to be running courses only, or will there be trails that anyone can access for a fee?

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Just to add to what has been said by Gazz and EB.
    Lots of good riding in BC and ............don't forget Merritt and Rossland. (some very sweet single track......)

In Alberta there is alot of fabulous riding and it is more XC. (ranging from short to epic)
    The scenery is incredible.............
    This is all within 1 - 1/1/2 hours from Calgary.
    There is the Kananaskis Country which is my personal favorite, also around Banff and in the Elbow Falls area.
    Best if you pick the book "Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rookies" by Doug Eastcott. One of the best trail books ever made IMHO. Lots of info and quite accurate.
    Have fun.......

Just roll it......

I can't believe I forgot some epic, flowy singeltrack....

Susie,

About 2.5 hours north of Whistler is a lovely area called the Chilcotin Mountains. Based on the description that you put forth, you need to visit this area. I'm heading there in July with a crew for some floatplane riding, but you can do amazing rides right from Gold Bridge. For instance, Spruce lake trail which is, by all accounts, amazing. Actually, DP's photos of his trip there last year were part of the reason we're heading up this summer!! DP, can you find that thread??

Gazz, hmmm....that link should be working. I think their plan is to have a lot of both XC and FR. There will be some shuttle opportunities out there as well for the FR crowds. A bunch of the trails will end up on a lake - so a quick dip will be an option post rides!! Drop Chuck a line....he's totally cool and will give you the lowdown.

Give 'er another try.....
    http://www.kamloopsbikecamp.com

Cheers,
    EB

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Here is that link to the pictures from the Southern Chilcotins.
    (Hopefully this works?????)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=40847

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Wink Thanks

Thanks for your reply's. We had thought about going to the Chilcotin Mountains. We have booked to stay with Ticket2ridebc in August who do day trips out there. We couldn't decide whether to go with them or stay at the Tyax resort. Those pictures have made us decide we'd like to spend longer than a day there.

We are spending June in Colorado and have booked a week in Fernie, a week in Canmore and a Week in Jasper in July. The other 2 weeks we will probably go to Kamloops and Gold Bridge. We then have 4 weeks in Whistler and the last 2 weeks of our trip will probably be spent sightseeing etc in Vancouver and Vancouver Island. Can't wait!

Just roll it......

I want that summer holiday!!

Jeesh, Susie, I couldn't ask for a better holiday. Hopefully, BC and Alberta will treat you right. I suspect it will.

Cheers,
    EB

wpg then, van now
    My favorite trail in AB: The Overlander in Jasper. Unparalleled scenery...about 22km each way.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme

If you head inland to areas like Kamloops, Keleowna, Revelstoke, Nelson, etc. you'll find more of what you're looking for... Those areas are more 'high desert' and usually have more flowy stretches of trail than those in the coast range.
    are you sure about that high desert part for Revelstoke:

and Nelson?

last I saw there were big mountains there. At least, when I've been there...
    Fernie should be awesome for singletrack.

formica

is this thing on?
    ^^^ LOL, funny how confuesed and (word for the day) overwelmed people get with the geography of this little province.

don't skip Williams lake. by far the flowyist trails I've ridden. might even be high desert. but what do I know. ya can hit it, with a little there and back, comming out of Pemberton on your way to Kamloops, before you hit Revy, on your way to Golden, then on to Nelson... and thats only the bottom third.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    ^^^ LOL, funny how confuesed and (word for the day) overwelmed people get with the geography of this little province.
    what's really funny is that is takes a Yank to point out that Nelson and Revelstoke are mountain towns,..

formica

Gear Whore
    Don't forget about Vancouver Island....the northern part of the island has some amazing epic singletrack from what I hear. I would check out some of the shops up there for more information....

On our site we have a listing of what I hope are all the shops on the island and some contact information for them all...check it out:
    http://pedalhounds.com/modules.php?n...iewlink&cid=18

Just roll it......

New article in Bike Mag on exactly this topic.

Suzie,

Pick up the brand new edition of Bike Magazine (it has Wade Simmons on the cover). It has a great article on riding in Kelowna, Nelson, Penticton and Rossland. All interior locations that have great XC riding. The opening 2 paragraphs about a photo shoot are hilarious.....the Canucks will know what I'm talkin' bout.

I see that Formica corrected my "high desert" comment with relation to Revelstoke and Nelson. Thanks Formica!!

FWIW, Suzie, I had already planned a 9 day trip (much shorter than yours, of course) in June that will entail many of these areas. We'll have both bikes (XC and FR) with us, but hope to get at least half our days in cruising fast, buff singletrack. This article will totally insprire you.....

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My Top 10 list for an eastern BC / Alberta road trip

Fernie, BC
    Two days can get you all the singletrack, one day on the ski hill side, another day on the Ridgemount side. Lots of steep climbs followed by fun (sometimes challenging downhills). Trail picks.... D'em Bones, Roots, Snakebite, Old Goat. The best patio is at Rippin' Richard's.

Kananaskis Country (between Calgary and Canmore)
    Jumping Pound / Cox Hill combo, a high country ride with stunning views, part of the TransRockies race course.
    ** most of the other formerly primo singletrack trails are getting pounded out due to overuse and K-Country's lame (non-existant) trail maintanence policies

Canmore, Alberta
    The Canmore Nordic Centre (XC skiing '88 Olympics) has some of the best singletrack around but is closed due to construction. Also the word is that many of the trails near town are being closed this summer, maybe forever.

Golden, BC
    The Canyon Creek trail is worth it just for the instant "I'm going over a cliff" view. Follow it down to the Moonraker trails for some good flow at speed.

Revelstoke, BC
    Keystone / Standard Basin, argueably the premier trail in BC, is a must. Take bear spray and make lots of noise. Flip a coin when you get back to the car to see who gets to bomb the 15km logging road down to the highway.

Nakusp, BC
    Kuskanux Hot Springs trail, a sweet flowing singletrack through some big timber. A soak in the hot springs after the ride is mandatory, especially after dusk.

New Denver, BC
    Here's an awesome loop for the fit and adventurous. Start in New Denver, ride the old railbed trail (singletrack!) to the historic mining town of Sandon. You cross Carpenter Creek in a hand-pull cable car, very unique. Hammer up the Idaho Peak road, a big climb (4,000' ?) to the parking lot for the fire lookout viewpoint. Decision time, are you feeling the bonk coming on? If so, retrace your route home. If not find a singletrack behind the outhouse. Go downhill on this trail (Wakefield Trail), walking some sections of avalanche debris and making lots of noise so you don't surprise Mr. Griz. When this trail drops you onto a gravel road go right (west) to Silverton and from there go right (north) on the highway to New Denver.

Kaslo, BC
    The Buchanan Mountain Trail (the XC trail, not "The Monster") is another classic BC small town trail. One of the local B&B owners is the driving force behind a growing trial network in Kaslo, find him and he'll give you all the scoop.

Nelson, BC
    Bring a freeride bike and the skill to ride it. I've done one ride here that is/was suitable on a XC bike. Climb the old Silver King Mine Road (trail) to a logging road, go right (uphill) to a rock cairn. This marks the start of Placenta Descenta, a very do-able downhill when I rode it 6 years ago, no idea what it's like now.

Christina Lake, BC
    Singletrack heaven! Find the provincial park on the east side of town and the trail that follows high above the lakeshore. I can't recall the trail name but it is a fantastic bit of mountain bike nirvana. Pack a bathing suit for some relaxation at the turn-around point (it's an out & back trail) or when in Rome go au natural.
    We rode another wicked trail, a fun DH to the west shore, called Spooner Trail (?). Ask at the wakeboard shop on the east end of town for directions.

Hey, that's only a list of 10.... it's time to go explore Rossland this summer.

Cheers,
    Dave

Don't worry, be happy!

Speaking of Rossland...

Any of you Canadian gals going to Cindy Devine's camp in June? I'll be going up for the June 24 session.

formica,
    the camp is www.devineride.com

edit: oops I meant to make this a seperate post but whatever....

Sounds like it's time to head North, hubby was just talking about what was good for riding up around New Denver

Plascenta Descenta, rode it about 3 years ago, I've heard it's gotten kind of trashed but the Nelson map that you can pick up in town is called" ticket to ride" . It's the only trail where I've ever sat down and cried. This was pre-camp, I could probably ride it now.

mtbr member

Fernie

[QUOTE=calgarydave]Fernie, BC
    Two days can get you all the singletrack, one day on the ski hill side, another day on the Ridgemount side. Lots of steep climbs followed by fun (sometimes challenging downhills). Trail picks.... D'em Bones, Roots, Snakebite, Old Goat. The best patio is at Rippin' Richard's.

Dave.....a small group from Hamilton including myself are making it up to Fernie again this summer (probably late august or early sept.).... you wouldn't happen to have any links for trails in this area would you ? You seem to have extensive knowledge there so maybe you and J-ette can meet us for exchange with some guided rides in Helena ????

Last year we stuck to the ski hill and had an absolute blast......now i wanna go back and explore a little bit.

later, Chad

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarydave
    Fernie, BC

Jumping Pound / Cox Hill combo, a high country ride with stunning views, part of the TransRockies race course.
    ** most of the other formerly primo singletrack trails are getting pounded out due to overuse and K-Country's lame (non-existant) trail maintanence policies

Canmore, Alberta
    The Canmore Nordic Centre (XC skiing '88 Olympics) has some of the best singletrack around but is closed due to construction. Also the word is that many of the trails near town are being closed this summer, maybe forever.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Thanks for a great write up.
    Added at least 4 rides I need to do in the heartlands of BC

I have not been out to K-country since 97-98 but I loved the rides there. So what is happening to the trails out there. I have not read any where that there are problems there.
    I was making plans to get out there sometime in the future. I have this desire to ride one of my favorites "Ride around the Misty" and I'm wondering if there is some info I should know before I get out to Alberta.
    To bad about the trails around Canmore............???

Seeya

amg
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you're traveling between Whistler, Squamish and Vancouver, take the ferry from Vancouver over to the Sunshine Coast. It's a 50 minute ferry ride, return trip is free, and the trails over there are amazing. The Gibsons bike shop, Spin Cycles, has trail books, or you can find a map with some of the trails on the web site from the Rat Race, a local xc/dh event: http://www.user.dccnet.com/rtcamposa...es/Page347.htm

The race loop is marked with a black line; the trails are green. There's also an area called the Sprockids park just up the hill from the ferry that is nice as well.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Dave, good to hear from you!

"Revelstoke, BC
    Keystone / Standard Basin, argueably the premier trail in BC, is a must."

I agree, this is a fantastic ride! One other thing to watch out for is the nasty horse flies up there.

I'd like to find more rides like that.

If the Fernie gathering happens this year, maybe I'll see you there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Over-use and lack of common sense are the main problems facing K country right now. As another poster stated some of the trails are getting "pounded" out. Where some of the trails were once single track, they are now 20ft wide in spots and rutted out from idiots not staying on the trail and riding in the mud. We got a lot of rain around Calgary last summer and dedicated riders will not let a little mud hold them back. The problem is those who choose to ride around mud and water and not through it, which ends up in trail degradation.

Horses, hikers and bikers share many of the same trails in K- country and with minimal trail maintenance, the trails are becoming worked over.

mtbr member
    Lots of trails in Jasper are very nice singletrack. Valley of the five lakes has steep uphills and fast downhills but is not singletrack most of the way.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I'd like to resurrect this classic thread since Dave knows what he's talking about. Here are my updates. Agreed on Keystone Standard as being incredible.

Other trails that deserve mention but will be scouted later are Lockhart Creek, Brewer, SilverCup Ridge, Jumbo Pass.

Check out http://www.kootenayrockies.com/membe...ng_%26_Cycling for a free guide to some of the trails in this area.

New Denver
    -----------
    There is now a trail map of the area available via Valhalla Pure Outfitters in New Denver. The route described is Galena - H road - Idaho Peak forestry road - Wakefield trail. Prime, narrow, gorgeous singletrack. Roughly 30km, 1500m of ascent and descent

Christina Lake
    -----------
    Trail is called Deer Point trail and is on the east side of the lake and is an out - and - back, Flattish meandering but gorgeously scenic trail

Rossland
    ------------
    www.rosslandtrails.ca. Also check out 7 summits for 15 km of ridgeline riding; 45 km ride in total with approx 1600m of ascent - 2500 m of descent

Chilcotin
    ------------
    Amazing map now available via www.trailventuresbc.com. Skip the floatplane ride to Spruce Lake as that is easy to pedal under one's own power and only for the lame. If you must floatplane at least get out to someplace further like Warner, Lorna or Trigger Lake.

Fernie, BC

Canmore, Alberta

Golden, BC
    The Canyon Creek trail is worth it just for the instant "I'm going over a cliff" view. Follow it down to the Moonraker trails for some good flow at speed.

Revelstoke, BC
    Keystone / Standard Basin, argueably the premier trail in BC, is a must. Take bear spray and make lots of noise. Flip a coin when you get back to the car to see who gets to bomb the 15km logging road down to the highway.

Nakusp, BC
    Kuskanux Hot Springs trail, a sweet flowing singletrack through some big timber. A soak in the hot springs after the ride is mandatory, especially after dusk.

New Denver, BC
    Here's an awesome loop for the fit and adventurous. Start in New Denver, ride the old railbed trail (singletrack!) to the historic mining town of Sandon. You cross Carpenter Creek in a hand-pull cable car, very unique. Hammer up the Idaho Peak road, a big climb (4,000' ?) to the parking lot for the fire lookout viewpoint. Decision time, are you feeling the bonk coming on? If so, retrace your route home. If not find a singletrack behind the outhouse. Go downhill on this trail (Wakefield Trail), walking some sections of avalanche debris and making lots of noise so you don't surprise Mr. Griz. When this trail drops you onto a gravel road go right (west) to Silverton and from there go right (north) on the highway to New Denver.

Kaslo, BC
    The Buchanan Mountain Trail (the XC trail, not "The Monster") is another classic BC small town trail. One of the local B&B owners is the driving force behind a growing trial network in Kaslo, find him and he'll give you all the scoop.

Nelson, BC
    Bring a freeride bike and the skill to ride it. I've done one ride here that is/was suitable on a XC bike. Climb the old Silver King Mine Road (trail) to a logging road, go right (uphill) to a rock cairn. This marks the start of Placenta Descenta, a very do-able downhill when I rode it 6 years ago, no idea what it's like now.

Christina Lake, BC
    Singletrack heaven! Find the provincial park on the east side of town and the trail that follows high above the lakeshore. I can't recall the trail name but it is a fantastic bit of mountain bike nirvana. Pack a bathing suit for some relaxation at the turn-around point (it's an out & back trail) or when in Rome go au natural.
    We rode another wicked trail, a fun DH to the west shore, called Spooner Trail (?). Ask at the wakeboard shop on the east end of town for directions.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Fernie, BC

Canmore, Alberta

Golden, BC

Revelstoke, BC

Nakusp, BC

New Denver, BC

Kaslo, BC

Nelson, BC

Christina Lake, BC

Cheers,
    Dave
    Thanks for the list Dave! BTW, how are you doing? Haven't seen you in a few years. We are heading out there in a couple of weeks to try to hit as many of those as we can in a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    check out crankfernie.com when you get here go to any lbs theres 3 downtown and pick up a trail map $10 well worth it

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You may find Kamloops pretty hot in July/August! It'll be around 40 degrees out there.

I was just out in Rossland riding Seven Summits. The riding in Rossland is incredible, really well marked trails. Seven Summits is a must!

http://www.imba.com/epics/seven_summits.html

I havn't ridden around Christina lake mostly becuase you can rent a ski boat for $65/hour... It gets HOT there July 1st was 38-42 degrees. So ride early and check out the lake in the afternoon.

Another ride in that area that I've only heard about is Idaho Peak.

http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/idahopeak_09_06.php

I completely agree with all the comments about international / standard basin in Revelstoke. Another incredible ride.

Enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Why