Wheel builder in Calgary ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wheel builder in Calgary ?

Hi,

Can someone recommend a good wheel builder in the Calgary area ?

I realize that most bike stores will offer to build one for you but I'd like to get some personal recommendations for a builder who is experienced and familiar with bulding superlight wheels if possible.

I already have a Chris King Hub and I've narrowed down my rim to an Olympic ZTR or a Mavic 717. Just need someone to recommend some spokes and build it for me.

Ken.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Eurotech

I dont know if they're stilll in business but the owner was a very good mechanic and honest. they were located on 14st and northmount NW . Personally I think you should learn how build them yourself, its not that hard and if you're careful you can do a better job than almost any bike shop.. Calgary Cycle is probably a good bet too.

Avoid Cyclepath, Ridleys and Bow unless you llike getting ripped off and like dealing with teenagers who act like they know everything but lack the experince to build a decent wheel.

Dt Competition spokes and aluminum nipples are light, durable and economical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by al-r
    I dont know if they're stilll in business but the owner was a very good mechanic and honest. they were located on 14st and northmount NW . Personally I think you should learn how build them yourself, its not that hard and if you're careful you can do a better job than almost any bike shop.
    Sounds like you're talking about Eurotech cycle. Someone else recommended them as well...

I'd like to learn to build them someday but for the time being, it isn't really feasible for me to buy the tools to do so. Alternatively, I'd be more than happy to pay someone with the knowledge to build one for me as well.

I know what you mean about the teenagers at some of the bike stores. I won't mention any names but I couldn't help but notice that the young guy working on my bike earlier this year couldn't even figure out how to use a pedal wrench. I shudder at the thought of someone like that working on my wheels.

Ken.

Nov 2005
    come on, tell us what store couldn't wield a pedal wrench!! (at least p.m. me the answer!)

Nov 2005
    Theres nothing wrong with Bow Cycle, they do actually have some the most compitant builders in Cowtown.

Formerly DMR For Life
    try Bike Bros down on macleod tr just out side of downtown...haven't had much experience with them, but the owner does everything maintenance and assembly wise
    DMR

Dec 2005

Bike Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    try Bike Bros down on macleod tr just out side of downtown...haven't had much experience with them, but the owner does everything maintenance and assembly wise
    DMR
    I second that motion Bike Bros

Formerly DMR For Life
    have you had much exerpience with bike bros the guys was great when i went in there...just interested in what your experience was like
    DMR

Nov 2005
    Ridley's as well, one of the stores that got a bad rap earlier in this thread, has a super competent wheel builded by the name of Mike Buckley- head mechanic on Lance's charity ride here in calgary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had good results at Bow too. There are several good, experienced wrenchers in the shop, Clint and Kam (sp) come to mind.

Mike at Ridleys seems on the ball too.

mtbr member

My Experience with Bike Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    have you had much exerpience with bike bros the guys was great when i went in there...just interested in what your experience was like
    DMR
    Hi, this is Graham from Bike Bros. I'm 35 and an alcoholic. woops, wrong discussion group.

DMR, I'm glad to hear your experience at Bike Bros was good. In fact, so glad that if you come down to the store in a couple weeks, I'm going to give you one of the new T-Shirts(one of the new ones on the website).

cheers,

PS. I love building wheels. hint hint.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebros
    Hi, this is Graham from Bike Bros. I'm 35 and an alcoholic. woops, wrong discussion group.

DMR, I'm glad to hear your experience at Bike Bros was good. In fact, so glad that if you come down to the store in a couple weeks, I'm going to give you one of the new T-Shirts(one of the new ones on the website).

cheers,

thanks Graham
    i will have to ake you up on that offer
    DMR

mtbr member

You too

Quote Originally Posted by homeboy
    I second that motion Bike Bros
    Homeboy.

I guess you get a shirt too. I watched Nanny 911 last night. She kept on talking about positive reinforcement. I hope getting a Bike Bros. T is positive enough. Are you a Logo or a Mechanic type? You have a couple weeks to decide. Bike Bros website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebros

cheers,

Thanks for all the replies !

I appreciate all the input but I'm going to give a fellow mtbr forum member my business this time around. And yes, I'll be sure to post my experience afterwards.

Graham, I'll drop by sometime in the next week or two. I'll be the guy with the silver Chris King ISO Disc hub and Mavic 317 rim. I'll leave it up to you to choose the spokes and build my wheel.

Ken.

Nov 2005
    i think bike bros. is the place to go (scandalous free t-shirt attempt)

Members who have read this thread: 0