What tires for XC/Trails at Whistler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

What tires for XC/Trails at Whistler?

I'm planning a trip to Whistler this year, and most of our riding will be XC/trail rather than in the bike park (we may even hire bigger bikes for the park). I currently ride a 2.25 Nobby Nic up front and a 2.25 Racing Ralph rear. We plan on doing a few miles so I don't want anything too heavy or slow rolling, but also want something that is best designed for the XC/Trail conditions in the area. Any suggestions? Will my current tires be OK or will I need something more heavy duty?

I've also got some Nevegal 2.35's, but don't ride these anymore as they are too slow for my normal conditions, but would they be a good fit for Whistler?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Lots of people use 2.35s in Whistler even for xc. Please search for info on Whistler Mountain Bike trails and you might find information on the guidebook that I reviewed. A simple search goes a long way.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    My wife and I run the 2.35 Nevegals Stick-E as fronts and 2.1 version as rears on the XC/AM bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was watching guys coming down on old hardtails at taht park yesturday.....

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Whistler XC trails are really rough. I would run a big tubeless tire. Something like a 2.25 CrossMark would be perfect.

I generally ride a smaller tire when I am there, but I am always wishing for something a bit bigger.

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    I ride 2.35 for AM here. For every day riding I wouldn't want any less. For racing or epics I might opt for something a little smaller, at least in the back, but there are a lot of steep techy trails here even in XC world so more tire is not a bad thing.
    Hanging out in Whistler... Just another day in paradise.

Young Downhill Biker
    Since i only have a hardtail right now (Trek 4300 3-4 years old) I am riding more road tires witha little grip but next time i get a flat or am bored i'm going to put the old default tires back on and they should be fine.

I would recommend the trail A River Runs Through It. Its by mar my favorite trail but it is a free ride but the feutures are all optional. If you want a guide i can take you tho I am very busy with Work on the weekends and then school I'm not the fastest eather but i get to my destination.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    your current tires will be fine. I ride 2.0s everywhere but the park and they are great everywhere from the stunts of River Runs Through It to the relentless Comfortably Numb (which I just rode today, conditions are dry, sunny but not too hot, perfect). That said, a bigger tire would obviously give you more confidence and stability as long as you balance that need with a light enough weight so the uphills aren't too much of a slog. Most girls I ride with run 2.0s or 2.1s for XC. Guys anything up to 2.3.

Members who have read this thread: 0